1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Do Suede Shoes Stretch More?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Sartorially Challenged, Jul 27, 2009.

1. Sartorially Challenged

Sartorially Challenged Senior member

Holding all other variables constant, do suede shoes stretch more over time compared to finished calf shoes?

I have noticed that, in my case, the answer is yes and I am now thinking about buying suede shoes 1/2 size smaller than my finished calf or shell cordovan shoes (assuming same maker/last).

What do the other forumites think?

2. Film Noir Buff

Film Noir Buff Senior member

Holding all other variables constant, do suede shoes stretch more over time compared to finished calf shoes? I have noticed that, in my case, the answer is yes and I am now thinking about buying suede shoes 1/2 size smaller than my finished calf or shell cordovan shoes (assuming same maker/last). What do the other forumites think?
    I don't think suede shoes stretch. Thin leather might stretch; maybe soft leather but the finish shoulder matter. I have, however, noticed that white shirts stretch less than colored ones.

3. 888style

888style Senior member

Noticed the same thing with Asian women. [​IMG]

4. xhine23

xhine23 Member

5. Sartorially Challenged

Sartorially Challenged Senior member

I don't think suede shoes stretch. Thin leather might stretch; maybe soft leather but the finish shoulder matter.

I have, however, noticed that white shirts stretch less than colored ones.

That brings up the question -- even from the same makers, are suede shoes made with thinner leather than finished calf shoes?

6. gnatty8

gnatty8 Senior member

Not scientific by any means, but I tend to think that yes, they do stretch ever so slightly. I have had a couple pairs of suede shoes for a couple of years now and they seem to be somewhat more "relaxed" than when I first got them. That said, I have not found calf shoes to "stretch" at all, and if they did, I would have to say they did not fit you well in the first place.

7. gnatty8

gnatty8 Senior member

I don't think suede shoes stretch. Thin leather might stretch; maybe soft leather but the finish shoulder matter.

I have, however, noticed that white shirts stretch less than colored ones.

Maybe so, but what about white suits?

[​IMG]

8. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

I have only found suede shoes with simple construction and thinner leather, like desert boots, to stretch a little. But I wouldn't go down a half size.

My suede oxfords haven't stretched any more than any other regular leather oxford or monk.

9. Film Noir Buff

Noticed the same thing with Asian women. [​IMG]
    No doubt a major reason why they're so popular.

10. Film Noir Buff

Maybe so, but what about white suits? [​IMG]
    See, now if he had metal buttons and patch pockets on that, it'd still be wearable today.