• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do shirt colours mean anything?

Styleman

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
i.e. Blue shirt, white shirt, pink shirt etc.

Do they mean different things, as in for different days, different levels of formalness, different occasions, different status?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
White is certainly the most formal, followed by blue. Pink is fine for business, but cannot be considered formal.

According to a strict interpretation of the rules, it is acceptable to wear a subtle, simple stripe with formal day wear (stroller or morning coat) but only if the collar and cuffs are detachable, and solid white.

I don't there is any real signficance to colors and patterns.

Styleman

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
White is certainly the most formal, followed by blue.  Pink is fine for business, but cannot be considered formal.

According to a strict interpretation of the rules, it is acceptable to wear a subtle, simple stripe with formal day wear (stroller or morning coat) but only if the collar and cuffs are detachable, and solid white.

I don't there is any real signficance to colors and patterns.
Which is more formal; a pale or royal blue?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Which is more formal; a pale or royal blue?
Pale. For shoes and suits, darker is more formal. For shirts and accessories, lighter is more formal. Generally speaking.

Styleman

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
(Styleman @ Feb. 21 2005,15:37) Which is more formal; a pale or royal blue?
Pale. Â For shoes and suits, darker is more formal. Â For shirts and accessories, lighter is more formal. Â Generally speaking.
One can wear blue shoes?? With what? If white is most formal, is it suitable for buisness, or too formal?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
One can wear blue shoes?? With what?
Only Elvis may wear blue shoes, and only in suede.

If white is most formal, is it suitable for buisness, or too formal?
White shirts are perfectly fine for business.

linux_pro

Reaction score
i.e. Blue shirt, white shirt, pink shirt etc.

Do they mean different things, as in for different days, different levels of formalness, different occasions, different status?
I've never heard of shirt color meaning anything, although I will say that it is rare to see businessmen wearing dress shirts in colors outside of white, blue, light tan or grey (or other subdued colors, generally light), or the contrasting collar/cuff that Manton mentioned but generally with subdued stripes or light colors (yellow, lt blue, lt gray, etc). I've never worn a shirt with detachable collars/cuffs, and I don't recall seeing them in any of the shops were businessmen acquire their dress attire, so I'm not sure they are necessary for normal professional dress.

If dressing for a professional interaction (job interview, business meetings, etc), you do not want to be seen as overly eccentric in terms of dress. Think safe, as in white. Wearing a purple shirt and crazy patterned tie with all kinds of color in it will make you look like a schoolkid. Maybe you could get away with it when you're 40, but don't try it under 30. It looks silly. I've never thought the wilder colors/patterns looked fashionable on young people - I thought it made them look like some kind of uneducated rube trying to play "dress-up." Might as well be walking around in a throwback jersey and bleached jeans. That's not the image you want to portray in professional situations, EVER. Better safe than sorry, as they say. Yeah, some people will think you look cool in your purple shirt, but most will just think you look like a kid straight out of college - wet behind the ears, and too young to handle any real responsibility. You do not want to be seen like that.

I've decided not to hire people during interviews over things like the fact that the guy was wearing some silly patterned Banana Republic shirt with a ridiculous tie during the interview (and always without a blazer or suit), or showed up in a green or purple solid shirt, etc. You'd be amazed how many people I've interviewed that showed up like that. A few decided to speak in ebonic slang, which really blew me away (what could they possibly have been thinking?). Anyway, that's for another thread.

Here's my 2 cents, in relation to professional dress: Avoid bright solid colors, or any patterns other than the simple subdued stripes. Stick with traditional collars, no crazy cut-aways or butterflies. Wear shirts that will not overwhelm, in any way. Wearing a dress shirt that looks like it cost $300 may feel great to you, but a potential employer may see it as silly. You do not want to EVER be seen as silly.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads