• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do photoskillz make for better WAYW fits?

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by macuser3of5
could you post a clearer image? kind of hard to see brain details
confused.gif

Sorry. I screencapped it off my Beta copy.

Kvc06

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Poster personality/ reputation plays a big role as well. Also groupthink taking place where if someone with a big rep will say "that fit sucks" everyone else might look at it differently (i.e. trying to find something wrong with it) than if the person had said "wow doap fit."

Just some stuff I've noticed over the years of posting/viewing outfits of men on the internet.

slack tide

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master-Classter
I wonder: To what extent does the quality of the actual photography really "make" the photo, and lend credit to a fit that otherwise either wouldn't be as good, or alternatively take a solid look and make it look mediocre/bad because of a bad photo?

As I look at certain WAYW posters like Berlin Report, Mellow Fellow, Aeglus, etc and then in contrast guys like Kunk, Hendrix, and nicelynice, while both groups often have interesting fits and styles, the first group has way better pictures. It's easier to see the fit, colors, textures, etc and the second group probably doesn't get as much credit as they deserve.

I find I always love the pics from Mellow Fellow, or Berlin Report, but I wonder how much of that is just really nice crisp photos with good, but not really excellent styles. An alternatively, i suspect that guys like Magician or Fuji, or a million other guys would have more praise if they had better pics.

Yes, absolutely. The quality of the majority of fit pics on SW&D are horrible. Put away the flip phone cams. Fuckin' hello moto. At minimum clean your mirror. Turn on a light. Open the blinds for christs sake. Even just an iPhone with natural light can create a perfectly fine picture.

91a6acdc.jpg

I don't bother with a fit pic unless the conditions are very much conducive to a worthwhile effort. Otherwise, it's just pointless. Of course some can post a pic of themselves wearing a burlap sack with white tube socks in a pitch black room and get props from their bros. But that's just ridic, and I digress.

The argument that it's more appropriate for the MC guys to post detailed shots versus SW&D makes no sense, in my opinion. I've yet to read any compelling reason behind that. I think it's just the MC guys are generally older and thus may have the scratch to buy nice clothes and a nice camera. Or maybe they just care more. I don't know. But I side with them in that respect.

Also, having someone to take the pictures helps very much - a sig other you're comfortable with knowing you take pics for other guys on the innerent to judge you. Having someone you can say "wtf, I told you to do XYZ and crop here and focus here!!" helps too. To ensure results..

but in summary I will continue to post detailed shots in high-rez (instead of dark pictures with absolutely no details visible other than a general silhouette and maybe some color differentiation). But I've began to use the spoiler tag so if detailed shots are offensive people have the choice not to view them. Oh yeah, and don't quote multiple images. If you do, spoiler them.

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Short answer to the OP is yes. Just having a good camera doesn't cut it. You have to understand all the elements of photographic composition and how they work to pull off a good shot.

The biggest people problem is poses. Often they are labored, contrived, boring or lack feeling and all the photographic knowledge in the world will not fix that.

East2West

Reaction score
Yes, they can make for better pictures. Not necesarily the photgrapher, but the camera and equipment used can have an impact as well.

If a fit is bad though, it wont be simply a matter of changing the camera lens to improve it. That persons poor fit will be obvious despite photo quality (unless its some minor construction detail)

Ivar

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kvc06
Poster personality/ reputation plays a big role as well. Also groupthink taking place where if someone with a big rep will say "that fit sucks" everyone else might look at it differently (i.e. trying to find something wrong with it) than if the person had said "wow doap fit."

Just some stuff I've noticed over the years of posting/viewing outfits of men on the internet.

Completely agree.

PaulYAY

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

bare bodkin

Reaction score
I have a pretty dope camera that I barely know how to use. I wouldn't even bother posting fit pics until I can snap a decent shot.

berlin report

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kvc06
Everyone looks better in real life I'd be willing to bet.
Photo has so much to do with it.
In a photo most people look so unnatural and the garments aren't in action so it probably looks much worse.

I think I actually look better in pictures than in real life
smile.gif
Of course the quality of the photographs influence the appreciation of a fit, for very obvious reasons. I almost never post a fit if the picture is not good enough because I see no point to it if you can't see details, colors, and patterns. This is what makes clothing exciting after all. I'm not trying to discourage people from posting fits with mediocre images but its obviously hard to praise something you can't see clearly.

Makeshift_Robot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
People like good photos better because people like pretty pictures, people praise forum members with cachet (Synthese, BR) because it's good to be part of a community, etc., etc. It would be ridiculous to say WAYWTD is objective, which is why no one is saying that.

Also a clear photo is like a hot mic in my experience; if you have a good sound there's nothing like it, but on the other hand people can hear every little flaw so you have to be at the top of your game. If the stuff I regularly fucked up was in a berlin report-quality photo there would probably be a 3-page dogpile.

slack tide

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well at least it appears that the forum consensus is that higher quality fit pics are indeed a good thing.

Lane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
lookbook.nu

nuff fuggin said

all the top looks are just of good photographers..most of the looks are consisted of H&M/zara garbage....

brad-t

Bae Blade
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lane
lookbook.nu

nuff fuggin said

all the top looks are just of good photographers..most of the looks are consisted of H&M/zara garbage....

I think it's 50/50. There is a lot of cool stuff posted there, but yes, it is a lot of garbage with almost entirely obscured outfits.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads