1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Do photoskillz make for better WAYW fits?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Master-Classter, Dec 1, 2010.

1. East2West

East2West Well-Known Member

Yes, they can make for better pictures. Not necesarily the photgrapher, but the camera and equipment used can have an impact as well.

If a fit is bad though, it wont be simply a matter of changing the camera lens to improve it. That persons poor fit will be obvious despite photo quality (unless its some minor construction detail)

2. Ivar

Ivar Well-Known Member

Poster personality/ reputation plays a big role as well. Also groupthink taking place where if someone with a big rep will say "that fit sucks" everyone else might look at it differently (i.e. trying to find something wrong with it) than if the person had said "wow doap fit."

Just some stuff I've noticed over the years of posting/viewing outfits of men on the internet.

Completely agree.

3. PaulYAY

PaulYAY Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

lulz

4. bare bodkin

bare bodkin Well-Known Member

I have a pretty dope camera that I barely know how to use. I wouldn't even bother posting fit pics until I can snap a decent shot.

5. berlin report

berlin report Well-Known Member

Everyone looks better in real life I'd be willing to bet.
    Photo has so much to do with it.
    In a photo most people look so unnatural and the garments aren't in action so it probably looks much worse.

I think I actually look better in pictures than in real life[​IMG] Of course the quality of the photographs influence the appreciation of a fit, for very obvious reasons. I almost never post a fit if the picture is not good enough because I see no point to it if you can't see details, colors, and patterns. This is what makes clothing exciting after all. I'm not trying to discourage people from posting fits with mediocre images but its obviously hard to praise something you can't see clearly.

6. Makeshift_Robot

Makeshift_Robot Well-Known Member

People like good photos better because people like pretty pictures, people praise forum members with cachet (Synthese, BR) because it's good to be part of a community, etc., etc. It would be ridiculous to say WAYWTD is objective, which is why no one is saying that.

Also a clear photo is like a hot mic in my experience; if you have a good sound there's nothing like it, but on the other hand people can hear every little flaw so you have to be at the top of your game. If the stuff I regularly fucked up was in a berlin report-quality photo there would probably be a 3-page dogpile.

7. slack tide

slack tide Well-Known Member

Well at least it appears that the forum consensus is that higher quality fit pics are indeed a good thing.

8. brad-t

brad-t Well-Known Member

Well at least it appears that the forum consensus is that higher quality fit pics are indeed a good thing.

shocker

that doesn't mean people won't post shitty pics, just that they'd prefer to take better pics if they could

9. Lane

Lane Well-Known Member

lookbook.nu

nuff fuggin said

all the top looks are just of good photographers..most of the looks are consisted of H&M/zara garbage....

10. brad-t

brad-t Well-Known Member

lookbook.nu

nuff fuggin said

all the top looks are just of good photographers..most of the looks are consisted of H&M/zara garbage....

I think it's 50/50. There is a lot of cool stuff posted there, but yes, it is a lot of garbage with almost entirely obscured outfits.

11. bryanayrb

bryanayrb Well-Known Member

lookbook.nu

nuff fuggin said

ya you hate but at least those kids know how to wear shitty clothes so it looks decent

a lot of people here can barely size themselves

12. lmaozedong

lmaozedong Well-Known Member

... yeah im just gonna keep taking my mirror pics whenever i feel like it.

13. Lane

Lane Well-Known Member

ya you hate but at least those kids know how to wear shitty clothes so it looks decent

a lot of people here can barely size themselves

lol, true...I remember the dude who always wears balloon pants.

14. slack tide

Maybe I'll post my fits on lookbook.nu

I checked it out once but it looked really young and hip and queer. The guy on the top right, currently, looks like he came from some sort of high-end Hot Topic and sowed some playing cards to his pants. The second girl is cute with her varsity. The third guy, I guess his fit is good (i.e. slim and fitting) but if he's not in a band than he needs to be or he's just a fucking poseur and needs a neck-chop from Liam Neesom a la "Taken". And his waist looks smaller than mine meaning he must be anorexic or generally sick or have some eating disorder purely to look good in little clothes.

Do you think my fits will go over well there, uncontrol, or will my beyond generic, one year too late, Americana/lumber-jock style just be laughed at and/or ignored? They all seem like professional images. Like a page out of one of those throw-a-way Macy's mailing catalogs showing what's hot and coming up next season. I don't know if my iPhone 3G can support this potential initiative.

15. bryanayrb

bryanayrb Well-Known Member

I checked it out once but it looked really young and hip and queer. The guy on the top right, currently, looks like he came from some sort of high-end Hot Topic and sowed some playing cards to his pants. The second girl is cute with her varsity. The third guy, I guess his fit is good (i.e. slim and fitting) but if he's not in a band than he needs to be or he's just a fucking poseur and needs a neck-chop from Liam Neesom a la "Taken". And his waist looks smaller than mine meaning he must be anorexic or generally sick or have some eating disorder purely to look good in little clothes.

Do you think my fits will go over well there, uncontrol, or will my beyond generic, one year too late, Americana/lumber-jock style just be laughed at and/or ignored? They all seem like professional images. Like a page out of one of those throw-a-way Macy's mailing catalogs showing what's hot and coming up next season. I don't know if my iPhone 3G can support this potential initiative.

do you seek approval from those people?

16. whodini

whodini Well-Known Member

[​IMG] I see Magician is cross-posting these days...

17. Nouveau Pauvre

Nouveau Pauvre Well-Known Member

Ok that looks really good. (0)

18. slack tide

do you seek approval from those people?

I always look good. But occasionally suffer from low self-esteem. So do require constant validation of not only the way my clothes fit, but also my physical condition and overall look.

So yes, I do seek approval from those people. And just about anyone who will give me attention as a result of my appearance on the internet.

19. Lane

Lane Well-Known Member

oh ya I forgot that all the top looks are also people who are really good looking usually....

20. slack tide

oh ya I forgot that all the top looks are also people who are really good looking....
    [​IMG]
    Dude, I hope you're joking. This guy looks like a fuckin' weasel. Without makeup I bet he looks awkward and adolescent as fuck. look at his chin pubes and angsty white-crossed notebook and red studded backpack and look how calm he looks as that apple literally hovers in the air. like a cool calm air of indifference not caring if its just lands on the ground and bruises or gets dirty