• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do people who don't wash jeans for six months have no lives?

IIIrd Icon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Barrylicious
God I am so glad I'm not a germophobe. That which does not kill us only makes us stronger.
hey, i dint say i always wash regularly__ i just said i don't BS myself. in fact, my FC 1108C contest jeans had been soaked x2, no wash, and on 4mos heavy rotation right now :: SD-101 has been washed after 4 mos(?) [now on 2nd, but light tour of duty for 3] :: PBJ 007 has 1yr & 4mos + soaked x3 [but only used as standby, on occasion], SExSC02 only nights out [also the cleanest]__ s710 & 5000bk [washed regularly] + 5000ai-10sp are all on back burner til winter.

edit: it's not all hXc__ having more options meant having flexibility to tailor [my denim ethusiasm] to my lifestyle.

Jbreen1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mlyngard
If you try it, you'll come to appreciate the reasons for why it's worth wearing a pair six months or longer before washing. There are many threads and pictures here attesting to that fact.

IMO, I have more reaw denim than I really need, so I alternate frequently (and also have pairs for summer and winter, work and play). This allows the jeans to air out while not wearing them, resolving most of the sweat/odor issues. It'll take me longer to work in a pair of jeans with this system, but I'm not in a hurry (I actually like the raw, starched sheen and indigo loss on unsoaked/unwashed denim. The denim will soften up and take on your contours quickly, wash or no wash. Trust the boys here. They won't steer ya wrong.

This is just completely false. Kiya has proven that you can wash your jeans as much as you want and still get the desired effects of raw jeans. Not washing for 6 months is such an old way of thinking. Guys in Japan wash their jeans weekly and have some of the nicest stuff seen. Plus not washing is harder on your jeans and can cause blowouts and stuff like that. And for all the people that say their stuff doesn't smell, maybe it doesn't but just because you don't smell it doesn't mean others don't.

BrettChaotix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jbreen1
This is just completely false. Kiya has proven that you can wash your jeans as much as you want and still get the desired effects of raw jeans. Not washing for 6 months is such an old way of thinking. Guys in Japan wash their jeans weekly and have some of the nicest stuff seen. Plus not washing is harder on your jeans and can cause blowouts and stuff like that. And for all the people that say their stuff doesn't smell, maybe it doesn't but just because you don't smell it doesn't mean others don't.

Your statement is just as inaccurate. It's not like there haven't been dozens of threads discussing this topic in the past.

The frequency of washing/soaking is dependent on a combination of environment, personal hygiene, body type, daily activity and type/quality of denim.

We can all agree that excessive/unnecessary washing of ANY garment will contribute to it's wear & tear. There is no right answer except to simply say:

1 - Wear your jeans,
2 - enjoy your jeans,
3 - if they stink or don't feel clean then you should wash them
4 - repeat

/THREAD (seriously, let it die... kill it with fire)

spacemanvt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i still remember a few years ago when i first got in raw denim. was worried about washing / not washing blah blah blah blah

just wear your jeans how you want. if not washing them is gross, then wash them however /how ever often you feel comfortable.
Me personally, I hardly ever wash my denim in general and with my raws I wait as long as possible because i want high contrast fades.
but if they ever get really nasty, ******* , I will wash them.

people overthink this way too much.

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DECEMBER
uh.. there are a lot of girls who don't wash their raw denim too.

Originally Posted by robin
All four of them?

Three now. My ex got too big for the pair I bought her.

Lostinthesupermarket

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Magician
Three now. My ex got too big for the pair I bought her.

Is that why she's your ex?
eh.gif

happy hooligan

Reaction score
I'd recommend NOT washing your jeans in the Ocean.... Yes, it's water, but no it's not clean water and your jeans will smell like seaweed.

I'm going on 6-7 months on my 33's I make a point of not wearing them if I know I'm going to get really dirty. You'll know when it's time to wash your jeans.

If you do have a few pairs going, then rotate them. I've got about 4 pairs I rotate through and wash maybe once a year.

It's what ever you're comfortable with. Just because they say to dry clean only... doesn't mean you have too....

wahwho11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BrettChaotix
(seriously, let it die... kill it with fire)
worship.gif

connor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
nudies worn for 7 months before a wash. lots of spilled beer, other drinks, lots of smoking various substances. they didnt smell unless i shoved my face in the fuckin crotc

TN_

Reaction score
i've been thinking about this topic since it's summer and i've been trying to break in some new raw denim. did some searching on google and came across this. it seems to be only avail in the UK and i'm not sure if it's worth the $30 in shipping fees to north america
confused.gif
i hope another forum member can try it out and let us know how it goes if sprayed on the inside of jeans

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lostinthesupermarket
Is that why she's your ex?
eh.gif

Naw ,that would have been a reason to keep her as the waist was 25 and she's 5'10''. A whole hsot of really great other reasons why she is the ex thogh.

stylesmurf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've seen this "washing in the ocean" advice from several places and have not read a single explanation on why this is good. If there's a scientific reason for this, you may want to buy some Instant Ocean and make your own seawater. It won't stink like seaweed. Lastly.. for those of you who don't wash your jeans.. this doesn't apply to all of you but, keep in mind that some of you are desensitized to your own aromas. I used to know some guys who never washed their jeans. Let me tell you. YOU may not smell it, but trust me, people with more sensitive noses do and think you're farking disgusting and can't stand being near you. GL
laugh.gif

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
People who leak odors in/on their jeans are lesser beings

hamish5178

Reaction score
Originally Posted by stylesmurf
I've seen this "washing in the ocean" advice from several places and have not read a single explanation on why this is good.

I think the idea goes, that since, there is so much, salt, there is no room in the water for the indigo to dissolve.

However, you can just add salt to the wash.

Also, (I'm no chemist), but you can boil water in a 100% humidity room, it'll just condense right away, right? Following that theory, wouldn't the indido just float on the top of the water, rather than dissolving into it?

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
btw, just for the record, I wash my jeans and yet I still have no life.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads