• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do People Stare?

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have discovered that people--notably white people--like to stare at me when I am walking down the street.

For example today I was dressed relatively casually, and people stared. I was wearing a blue hopsack blazer, an Holliday & Brown Austin Powers-esque patterned shirt and a brown knit tie with a solid gold safety pin stuck through in the British style. Also, grey windowpane wool trousers and a pair of black Chelsea boots; I also wore several antique gold intaglio rings on my right hand. A pair of thick black 1960s acetate sunglasses were on my face.

Even flamboyant homosexuals stared.

However, black people inevitably give me compliments like "That's pimp!", or more, interestingly: "Hey Prince! I loved your last album!"

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
do you ever get "hey, arent you that guy in the photo with Matt?"

Zenny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I once wore a white suit with a fluro pink shirt and white loafers, in the morning sun of Sydney, I stood out like a ******* beacon. *A LOT* of people stared.

bigstar[1].gif

litho

Reaction score
it seems as though you have no problem with the attention, if not seeking it. Continue to dress as you will

TylerDurden

Reaction score
I've noticed, when I dress nice I get disapproving stares from the average joe blow and redneck women, wearing a harley davidson T-shirt/Orange country chopper T-shirt, baggy walmart jeans, driving a lifted F150. Im thinking they think I am gay because I don't like to look like a slob. Needless to say if my girlfriend dress up nice everyday she gets approving stares.

Its against US norms for a guy to dress nice nowdays, its frowned upon. If i dress like crap people still stare.

If your different from average joe, your going to stand out.

Conclusion, people just like to stare. Don't worry about it. Take pride in knowing how cool you look.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If you're slightly histrionic (and I must admit I am) then just enjoy the stares.
smile.gif

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
I think it's a topic on it's own that black guys tend to compliment people more readily on their clothes in my experience. Brothers > bros

academe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it depends on your societal and national context. For example, in St Andrews there a fair number of young undergraduates from fee-paying schools (e.g. Gourdonstoun) who would not think twice about wearing something similar to their lectures. In Dundee, which is just 13 miles away, you'd be hard pressed to find someone wearing a well-fitted suit or odd jacket on the weekends... In the SF Bay Area, I suppose you'd be a bit of a dandy.

Go Surface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All the time, actually.

And yeah, in my experience, black people are more forthcoming in their compliments.

Britalian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
I have discovered that people--notably white people--like to stare at me when I am walking down the street.

For example today I was dressed relatively casually, and people stared. I was wearing a blue hopsack blazer, an Holliday & Brown Austin Powers-esque patterned shirt and a brown knit tie with a solid gold safety pin stuck through in the British style. Also, grey windowpane wool trousers and a pair of black Chelsea boots; I also wore several antique gold intaglio rings on my right hand. A pair of thick black 1960s acetate sunglasses were on my face.

Even flamboyant homosexuals stared.

However, black people inevitably give me compliments like "That's pimp!", or more, interestingly: "Hey Prince! I loved your last album!"

Oooh, you're such a kidder... Stop. Just stop, already.
I'd hoped it were stare-worthy enough for a pic in the WAYWT thread?

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Zenny
I once wore a white suit with a fluro pink shirt and white loafers, in the morning sun of Sydney, I stood out like a ******* beacon. *A LOT* of people stared.
Tom Wolfe on his white suits:
Wolfe began wearing the white suit in 1962 and continued because it provided a helpful barrier between himself and his subjects. "It made me a man from Mars," Wolfe says, "the man who didn't know anything and was eager to know."

mr.loverman

Reaction score
yea black people are very forthcoming with compliments. ever since i started working out all the black girls at the grocery store always holler at me with things like "you fly" and whenever i buy eggs they ask if i eat them raw and i'm like wtf. then they say just wondering cause your all jacked n ****. pretty entertaining
laugh.gif

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eason
I think it's a topic on it's own that black guys tend to compliment people more readily on their clothes in my experience. Brothers > bros
+1

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Do you notice the degree of sparkliness/shine in their stares, LK?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads