• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Do People Stare?

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
May 24, 2002
Messages
25,745
Reaction score
251
I have discovered that people--notably white people--like to stare at me when I am walking down the street.

For example today I was dressed relatively casually, and people stared. I was wearing a blue hopsack blazer, an Holliday & Brown Austin Powers-esque patterned shirt and a brown knit tie with a solid gold safety pin stuck through in the British style. Also, grey windowpane wool trousers and a pair of black Chelsea boots; I also wore several antique gold intaglio rings on my right hand. A pair of thick black 1960s acetate sunglasses were on my face.

Even flamboyant homosexuals stared.

However, black people inevitably give me compliments like "That's pimp!", or more, interestingly: "Hey Prince! I loved your last album!"
 
Joined
Jan 14, 2005
Messages
11,179
Reaction score
114
do you ever get "hey, arent you that guy in the photo with Matt?"
 

Zenny

Distinguished Member
Joined
Sep 26, 2008
Messages
1,845
Reaction score
2
I once wore a white suit with a fluro pink shirt and white loafers, in the morning sun of Sydney, I stood out like a fucking beacon. *A LOT* of people stared.

 

litho

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 19, 2008
Messages
199
Reaction score
0
it seems as though you have no problem with the attention, if not seeking it. Continue to dress as you will
 

TylerDurden

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 16, 2006
Messages
567
Reaction score
0
I've noticed, when I dress nice I get disapproving stares from the average joe blow and redneck women, wearing a harley davidson T-shirt/Orange country chopper T-shirt, baggy walmart jeans, driving a lifted F150. Im thinking they think I am gay because I don't like to look like a slob. Needless to say if my girlfriend dress up nice everyday she gets approving stares.


Its against US norms for a guy to dress nice nowdays, its frowned upon. If i dress like crap people still stare.

If your different from average joe, your going to stand out.

Conclusion, people just like to stare. Don't worry about it. Take pride in knowing how cool you look.
 

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Mar 10, 2006
Messages
10,562
Reaction score
6,347
If you're slightly histrionic (and I must admit I am) then just enjoy the stares.
 

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Joined
Feb 20, 2007
Messages
14,670
Reaction score
1,905
I think it's a topic on it's own that black guys tend to compliment people more readily on their clothes in my experience. Brothers > bros
 

academe

Distinguished Member
Joined
Feb 14, 2008
Messages
1,872
Reaction score
229
I think it depends on your societal and national context. For example, in St Andrews there a fair number of young undergraduates from fee-paying schools (e.g. Gourdonstoun) who would not think twice about wearing something similar to their lectures. In Dundee, which is just 13 miles away, you'd be hard pressed to find someone wearing a well-fitted suit or odd jacket on the weekends... In the SF Bay Area, I suppose you'd be a bit of a dandy.
 

GoSurface

Distinguished Member
Joined
Apr 28, 2007
Messages
8,488
Reaction score
375
All the time, actually.

And yeah, in my experience, black people are more forthcoming in their compliments.
 

Britalian

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jul 2, 2006
Messages
2,652
Reaction score
36
Originally Posted by LabelKing
I have discovered that people--notably white people--like to stare at me when I am walking down the street.

For example today I was dressed relatively casually, and people stared. I was wearing a blue hopsack blazer, an Holliday & Brown Austin Powers-esque patterned shirt and a brown knit tie with a solid gold safety pin stuck through in the British style. Also, grey windowpane wool trousers and a pair of black Chelsea boots; I also wore several antique gold intaglio rings on my right hand. A pair of thick black 1960s acetate sunglasses were on my face.

Even flamboyant homosexuals stared.

However, black people inevitably give me compliments like "That's pimp!", or more, interestingly: "Hey Prince! I loved your last album!"


Oooh, you're such a kidder... Stop. Just stop, already.
I'd hoped it were stare-worthy enough for a pic in the WAYWT thread?
 

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Dec 5, 2006
Messages
12,416
Reaction score
155
Originally Posted by Zenny
I once wore a white suit with a fluro pink shirt and white loafers, in the morning sun of Sydney, I stood out like a fucking beacon. *A LOT* of people stared.
Tom Wolfe on his white suits:
Wolfe began wearing the white suit in 1962 and continued because it provided a helpful barrier between himself and his subjects. "It made me a man from Mars," Wolfe says, "the man who didn't know anything and was eager to know."
 

mr.loverman

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 2, 2007
Messages
541
Reaction score
6
yea black people are very forthcoming with compliments. ever since i started working out all the black girls at the grocery store always holler at me with things like "you fly" and whenever i buy eggs they ask if i eat them raw and i'm like wtf. then they say just wondering cause your all jacked n shit. pretty entertaining
 

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Joined
Mar 22, 2008
Messages
4,310
Reaction score
82
Originally Posted by Eason
I think it's a topic on it's own that black guys tend to compliment people more readily on their clothes in my experience. Brothers > bros
+1
 

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Joined
Mar 14, 2006
Messages
14,980
Reaction score
1,044
Do you notice the degree of sparkliness/shine in their stares, LK?
 

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite pair of shoes to wear with jeans? (Choose two)

  • Boots (Chelsea, Chukkas, Balmorals, etc.)

  • Loafers

  • Work boots (Red Wing, Wolverine, etc.)

  • Monk strap shoes

  • Oxford / Derby shoes

  • Sneakers


Results are only viewable after voting.

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
427,228
Messages
9,194,414
Members
193,104
Latest member
Telperion

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Top