• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do people notice your shoes ?

barutanseijin

Reaction score
My guess is that the homeless and drug addicts here dress better than you.

No guessing necessary. Saw a few of Brooklyn’s homeless while i was out doing errands. They weren’t wearing double monkstraps or Veblen wrist baubles, just practical street gear. The homeless win this match hands down.

dauster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Precisely what I like about owning an Omega over a Rolex. People who know appreciate it (and don't also immediately wonder if it's a fake), and I don't come off as RolexGuy to everyone else.
maybe you should buy it for yourself and not for others. why not just sell it then.

Panama

Reaction score
At the last office I worked in prior to home working, various individuals would compliment my shoes especially as they realised I had a 21 day shoe rotation. Usually when I bumped into my female colleagues in the break out room/kitchen. As the owner of 200 plus shirts, I probably wear a different shirt daily, and that was noticed and commented on too.

I have been complimented for my shirts at Emma Willis, maybe it's the sales patter...

Last edited:

Betta

Reaction score
Second the take on Yeossal being a solid value. I put in my 4th order with them while I wait on my modified last to finish up with Oct. Ten and my fitting shoes to arrive. The modification surcharge from both is relatively small for instep reduction or other minor modifications. I will say that I’ve had pretty extensive conversations with Jackson and they’re very flexible on modifications, helping with guidance and even creating a new pattern or something. If someone was on the fence about them it’s worth giving it a shot and reaching out to them.
Is Jackson Oct Tenth? Yeossal flat out said no back in the boot CGO

jdgershbein

Reaction score
I've been on the receiving end of a few shoe compliments. Feels good. Lets me know I made a nice choice on a particular brand or style. I'm in the process of retooling my footwear collection. Loving the cool sneakers out there and, when warranted, bringing them into dressier looks (although still not with a suit; I'm too much of a purist). And I am digging the amazing variety of boots being marketed these days. That's my look moving forward.

vida

Reaction score
Yes, after lunch, my friend and I went to an outdoor music festival. Someone on stage noticed that my navy chinos were made from a 13oz Japanse selvedge fabric. The band stopped playing and asked me to get up on the stage with them. The whole crowd cheered when I showed them my selvedge stripe.
I think you’re trying to be funny, but you’re coming off as an ass. From the guy who writes obsessively about clothes…?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think you’re trying to be funny, but you’re coming off as an ass. From the guy who writes obsessively about clothes…?

I'm not sure what writing about clothes has to do with that joke? I was trying to say that we are obsessive about things that no one notices, or very few people notice.

vida

Reaction score
I'm not sure what writing about clothes has to do with that joke? I was trying to say that we are obsessive about things that no one notices, or very few people notice.
I just thought I would tussle you up a bit. Keep you on your toes. ?

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Very true. When I worked at a commercial real estate company everyone wore suits. So it was common for men to be well dressed and it was just normal to see nice shoes.

pasadena man

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Probably should have posted this earlier in the thread, but better late than never. Unlike many of the topics we opine on here at SF, there is hard data on whether other people notice our shoes:

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/men-shoes_n_3689418
“Men's footwear brand Allen Edmonds recently did a survey of 1,000 American men and women, and they found that: 64 percent of women judge a man's fashion sense based on his shoes; 52 percent of women say they judge a man's personality by his shoes; 36 percent say they use shoes to determine a man's financial position; and 54 percent say men's shoes reflect a guy's attention to detail (or lack thereof).

Simply put: Guys, we're judging you”.

https://healthland.time.com/2012/06/14/what-your-shoes-say-about-you/
In a study of college students, published in the Journal of Research in Personality, the authors found that people could correctly guess a stranger’s age, gender and income by looking at their shoes.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/...step-research-shows-you-are-judged-your-shoes
Participants viewing well-kept, attractive shoes assumed the owners were more conscientious.

https://hrdailyadvisor.blr.com/2013/08/08/show-me-your-shoes-say-recruiters/
Survey results say 80 percent of hiring managers reported that shoes are “extremely important,” to one’s interview appearance,

My inference from the above is that, if one wants to get hired, get laid, and/or pass on one’s bloodline, good shoes are a good investment. And by extension very good shoes are probably a very good investment.

Last edited:

Keith Taylor

Reaction score
Probably should have posted this earlier in the thread, but better late than never. Unlike many of the topics we opine on here at SF, there is hard data on whether other people notice our shoes:

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/men-shoes_n_3689418
“Men's footwear brand Allen Edmonds recently did a survey of 1,000 American men and women, and they found that: 64 percent of women judge a man's fashion sense based on his shoes; 52 percent of women say they judge a man's personality by his shoes; 36 percent say they use shoes to determine a man's financial position; and 54 percent say men's shoes reflect a guy's attention to detail (or lack thereof).

Simply put: Guys, we're judging you”.

https://healthland.time.com/2012/06/14/what-your-shoes-say-about-you/
In a study of college students, published in the Journal of Research in Personality, the authors found that people could correctly guess a stranger’s age, gender and income by looking at their shoes.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/...step-research-shows-you-are-judged-your-shoes
Participants viewing well-kept, attractive shoes assumed the owners were more conscientious.

https://hrdailyadvisor.blr.com/2013/08/08/show-me-your-shoes-say-recruiters/
Survey results say 80 percent of hiring managers reported that shoes are “extremely important,” to one’s interview appearance,

My inference from the above is that, if one wants to get hired, get laid, and/or pass on one’s bloodline, good shoes are a good investment. And by extension very good shoes are probably a very good investment.

I dunno. I’d say the science (such as it is, consisting almost exclusively of basic surveys) is pretty thin.

There are two broad takeaways from these surveys: 1) people claim to judge others based on their shoes, though there’s little to suggest how much weight those judgements carry; and 2) people are somewhat able to glean information about the wearer from their style of shoes, which seems pretty obvious, as it doesn’t take Sherlock Holmes to draw some accurate conclusions about a guy who wears black oxfords more than any other shoe.

What’s missing here is any consideration of quality. A woman might look at your pair of new but poor quality corrected leather Florsheims and reach the same broad conclusions about your income and personality as she would if she saw you in a pair of bespoke Edward Greens. And 80% of employers may well consider shoes extremely important, but their message may be nothing more than “I probably won’t hire you if you show up to an interview in Air Jordans.”

I don’t know how you’d design a study to accurately gauge how much people care about other people’s shoes, nor whether the quality of those shoes makes a noticeable difference, but I imagine that rather than simply asking them it would involve sticking wires to their temples and studying their brain activity while I force them to stare at my suede derbies :)

Last edited:

Proleet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I dunno. I’d say the science (such as it is, consisting almost exclusively of basic surveys) is pretty thin.

There are two broad takeaways from these surveys: 1) people claim to judge others based on their shoes, though there’s little to suggest how much weight those judgements carry; and 2) people are somewhat able to glean information about the wearer from their style of shoes, which seems pretty obvious, as it doesn’t take Sherlock Holmes to draw some accurate conclusions about a guy who wears black oxfords more than any other shoe.

What’s missing here is any consideration of quality. A woman might look at your pair of new but poor quality corrected leather Florsheims and reach the same broad conclusions about your income and personality as she would if she saw you in a pair of bespoke Edward Greens. And 80% of employers may well consider shoes extremely important, but their message may be nothing more than “I probably won’t hire you if you show up to an interview in Air Jordans.”

I don’t know how you’d design a study to accurately gauge how much people care about other people’s shoes, nor whether the quality of those shoes makes a noticeable difference, but I imagine that rather than simply asking them it would involve sticking wires to their temples and studying their brain activity while I force them to stare at my suede derbies :)

Exactly this. People like to say certain things and might even believe in them but that’s in isolation. People say they care about the environment or how animals are treated...the choices they actually make (I.e. what they buy) paint a very different picture though.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads