• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do people notice your shoes ?

Betta

Reaction score
What shoes did you take? I'm in the same Portland, also what cobbler because I need a pair of Meermins resoled soon and would like to avoid that
A pair of Yeossal's and Fugashins. Vanek's shoe repair, nothing against them really. But they simply do not have the "delicacy" for dress shoes. Still have a pair or two considering for taps. I might buy the taps and bring them over to these guys http://jdshoerepair.com for vibram protector and taps. Reddit recommended someone downtown who closed due to Covid :/ If you do find someone hit me up!

upsett1_spaghett1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A pair of Yeossal's and Fugashins. Vanek's shoe repair, nothing against them really. But they simply do not have the "delicacy" for dress shoes. Still have a pair or two considering for taps. I might buy the taps and bring them over to these guys http://jdshoerepair.com for vibram protector and taps. Reddit recommended someone downtown who closed due to Covid :/ If you do find someone hit me up!
Do you mind if I ask which Yeossal's you have? I've been considering trying them, how do you like them?

That's funny because that was one of the shops I was looking at. Please let me know how it goes if you use them.

TomTom

Reaction score
The only people who notice my shoes are normally sales associates in clothes shops or shoe shops even. I on the other hand always look at peoples shoes and I'm generally disappointed. I worked in the City pretty much all my life and have to report 70% of men wear horrible shoes. And if the buy C&J or Cheney they do not care for them.

Watches, do't get me started. If you are not wearing an vulgar oversized Rolex or Patek or Panerai nobody will notice or care.

leadbelly2550

Reaction score
I think it depends on the audience. When I worked at a large law firm, lots of spare money floating around, people occasionally noticed when I wore nicer shoes or jackets or suits, and there were a few watch and fountain pen aficionados. Where I work now, no one notices what I wear. A few people still comment on watches and fountain pens.

Dorsoduro

Reaction score
[ahhhh did you read the title of this forum ??? Let me remind you, it’s STYLE FORUM , we are talking about style, appearance, clothing and grooming not the quality of a person’s character - yes even Hunter biDen wears a suit - nuff said

QUOTE="dieworkwear, post: 10678188, member: 120890"]
Some of you guys are so weirdly judgemental.

Just because someone wears a suit doesn't mean they're more sophisticated, knowledgeable, dependable, or whatever else. Especially the ways that you guys are describing, which is often very much just an "enthusiast" uniform. I can tell if someone spends a lot of time consuming menswear media -- YouTube channels, blogs, forums, Instagram, and the like.

This theme has come up in other threads before and I not only don't get it, but it seems so foreign to my lived experience. The most knowledgeable, interesting, and dependable people I know are not well dressed. There is very little connection between someone's exterior appearance and their personal character. This is a hobby like any thing else -- someone can be into clothes just as someone can be into music, food, architecture, the study of birds, or whatever. Some of us just happen to spend a lot of time on clothes.

When you ride the train or interact with people in public, is this your actual lived experience? That nice, smart, dependable people are all well dressed? The way that this is framed in the CM sense often dovetails with a weird classism. Which is especially weird in this day and age because upper-class people don't dress like iGents.

If I saw someone dressed like Kirby, the only kind of conversation I assume I can have with them is: "Hey do you remember that Foo thread?"
[/QUOTE]

Dorsoduro

Reaction score
Strange, I live in the Bay Area and see stylish people on a daily basis, at least before the lockdown (things are quieter now). They are rarely in CM type clothing, but they look stylish nonetheless. It's mostly young people and women.

When someone comments on some specific item I'm wearing, it's usually someone that's into clothing. I've had denim guys ask me about my jeans. Someone at the food market once noticed my watch from far away. One person surprisingly asked me once if my sport coat is bespoke. A man in a suit commented on my bag when we were both in the elevator. Sales associates at clothing stores often ask about a specific piece -- a jacket, pair of shoes, etc. But these are all style enthusiasts, and the comments often lead to fun conversations.

From "normal" people, I've only gotten general comments, like "you look nice."
Stylish people in Bay Area ?? Have you traveled much ? I don’t mean any disrespect, but perhaps you haven’t been exposed enough to compare.

Last edited:

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Stylish people in Bay Area ?? Have you tee de abeles much ? I don’t mean any disrespect t, but perhaps you haven’t been exposed enough to compare.

Yes, all the time. After posting my comment, I went to the grocery store and noticed three people who I thought were well dressed.

You posted a picture of tan double monks in your original post, so it may be that we have different taste.

Last edited:

Betta

Reaction score
Do you mind if I ask which Yeossal's you have? I've been considering trying them, how do you like them?

That's funny because that was one of the shops I was looking at. Please let me know how it goes if you use them.
Yeossal has a good price for Handwelt. Really competitive. Great finishing. The one caveat that affects both Oct Tenth and Yeossal is some lasts have very high instep and the boots (which I got) have a 0.5 inch longer shaft than other manufacturers. You can ask them to lower the instep, but I believe only Oct Tenth has addressed the large shaft.

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeossal has a good price for Handwelt. Really competitive. Great finishing. The one caveat that affects both Oct Tenth and Yeossal is some lasts have very high instep and the boots (which I got) have a 0.5 inch longer shaft than other manufacturers. You can ask them to lower the instep, but I believe only Oct Tenth has addressed the large shaft.

I believe Yeossal can lower the instep but there is a surcharge for that.

pasadena man

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, all the time. After posting my comment, I went to the grocery store and noticed three people who I thought were well dressed.

You posted a picture of tan double monks in your original post, so it may be that we have different taste.
Ex San Franciscan and Marinite here, currently an Angeleno, and with a CM aesthetic forged in Chicago and New York. And from where I sit, SF can be a stylish town. I think there are a number of reasons why:

-the overall climate is good for tailored clothing and outerwear.

-the dramatic daily temperature and weather changes require one to think about what one is wearing, and often change (or layer) clothes to adapt to the weather.

-the City’s self-image as the first cosmopolitan city in the West makes it culturally sympatico to some CM values. It’s hard for me to imagine another Western city staging the Black and White Ball.

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Second the take on Yeossal being a solid value. I put in my 4th order with them while I wait on my modified last to finish up with Oct. Ten and my fitting shoes to arrive. The modification surcharge from both is relatively small for instep reduction or other minor modifications. I will say that I’ve had pretty extensive conversations with Jackson and they’re very flexible on modifications, helping with guidance and even creating a new pattern or something. If someone was on the fence about them it’s worth giving it a shot and reaching out to them.

Dorsoduro

Reaction score
Ex San Franciscan and Marinite here, currently an Angeleno, and with a CM aesthetic forged in Chicago and New York. And from where I sit, SF can be a stylish town. I think there are a number of reasons why:

-the overall climate is good for tailored clothing and outerwear.

-the dramatic daily temperature and weather changes require one to think about what one is wearing, and often change (or layer) clothes to adapt to the weather.

-the City’s self-image as the first cosmopolitan city in the West makes it culturally sympatico to some CM values. It’s hard for me to imagine another Western city staging the Black and White Ball.
What you describe was accurate to a degree up to early 90s but I’m afraid at present San Francisco is nothing more than an embarrassment - a city overrun by homeless, drug addicts living in sidewalk tents and up to pre- pandemic time techies who were as fashionable as the homeless. Worst is state and city government which rewards and encourages homelessness, crime, shoplifting and car break ins not to mention public drug use. Try Madrid, Milan or Monaco or even Tokyo and you’ll see what I mean by fashion, style and sophistication. .

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
What you describe was accurate to a degree up to early 90s but I’m afraid at present San Francisco is nothing more than an embarrassment - a city overrun by homeless, drug addicts living in sidewalk tents and up to pre- pandemic time techies who were as fashionable as the homeless. Worst is state and city government which rewards and encourages homelessness, crime, shoplifting and car break ins not to mention public drug use. Try Madrid, Milan or Monaco or even Tokyo and you’ll see what I mean by fashion, style and sophistication. .

My guess is that the homeless and drug addicts here dress better than you.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads