• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do people notice your shoes ?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
EpdJoogWMAgP_Av.jpeg

48ebxr3xyu761.png

Enfusia

Reaction score
Being a shoe lover I can say that when I see someone dressed well then I'll look at their shoes. If not, no.
When one is well dressed I look at the clothes fit, quality of cloth and tailoring. Then shoes then watch and then frames if wearing glasses of any sort.
If a man is truly well dressed, he is noticeable at least a block away. At 50 feet you see the fit, drape and flow of the clothes. Then, if they know enough to wear quality shoes that don't stand out, then they are noticed next by me.

I also notice grooming. You can tell a Nick Wooster from a Kirby Alison a block away too.
You can tell the type of conversation you'll have with this person if you see a very Italian suit, no socks, very sprezzatura, hair in a bun and 3 days worth of beard growth VS let's again say a Kirby Alison.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You can tell the type of conversation you'll have with this person if you see a very Italian suit, no socks, very sprezzatura, hair in a bun and 3 days worth of beard growth VS let's again say a Kirby Alison.

Some of you guys are so weirdly judgemental.

Just because someone wears a suit doesn't mean they're more sophisticated, knowledgeable, dependable, or whatever else. Especially the ways that you guys are describing, which is often very much just an "enthusiast" uniform. I can tell if someone spends a lot of time consuming menswear media -- YouTube channels, blogs, forums, Instagram, and the like.

This theme has come up in other threads before and I not only don't get it, but it seems so foreign to my lived experience. The most knowledgeable, interesting, and dependable people I know are not well dressed. There is very little connection between someone's exterior appearance and their personal character. This is a hobby like any thing else -- someone can be into clothes just as someone can be into music, food, architecture, the study of birds, or whatever. Some of us just happen to spend a lot of time on clothes.

When you ride the train or interact with people in public, is this your actual lived experience? That nice, smart, dependable people are all well dressed? The way that this is framed in the CM sense often dovetails with a weird classism. Which is especially weird in this day and age because upper-class people don't dress like iGents.

If I saw someone dressed like Kirby, the only kind of conversation I assume I can have with them is: "Hey do you remember that Foo thread?"

thedose

Reaction score
I'm sorry, but some of the recent comments in here ? -- jeans, sneakers and hoodie sweatshirts aka dressing like you are still a high school student are not "stylish" or "well dressed"... I don't care if your ripped jeans are Saint Laurent. Everyone wants to be Zuckerberg now ?

Is this forum S&D now or am I somehow in the styleforum twiligh zone? Or perhaps some of you guys are posting in the wrong forum? :puzzled:

I thought this was CLASSIC MENSWEAR?

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry, but some of the recent comments in here ? -- jeans, sneakers and hoodie sweatshirts aka dressing like you are still a high school student are not "stylish" or "well dressed"... I don't care if your ripped jeans are Saint Laurent. Everyone wants to be Zuckerberg now ?

Is this forum S&D now or am I somehow in the styleforum twiligh zone? Or perhaps some of you guys are posting in the wrong forum? :puzzled:

??
49ABABBE-1D38-4B91-9E4A-042DCF013AED.jpeg

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

*tips fedora*

Potatoe

Reaction score
Strange, I live in the Bay Area and see stylish people on a daily basis, at least before the lockdown (things are quieter now). They are rarely in CM type clothing, but they look stylish nonetheless. It's mostly young people and women.

When someone comments on some specific item I'm wearing, it's usually someone that's into clothing. I've had denim guys ask me about my jeans. Someone at the food market once noticed my watch from far away. One person surprisingly asked me once if my sport coat is bespoke. A man in a suit commented on my bag when we were both in the elevator. Sales associates at clothing stores often ask about a specific piece -- a jacket, pair of shoes, etc. But these are all style enthusiasts, and the comments often lead to fun conversations.

From "normal" people, I've only gotten general comments, like "you look nice."

There are really nice hoodies, great looking jeans, and awesome sneakers, out there in the world.

If I were planning to spend a weekend walking around San Fran, that's what I would wear. Dinner would be different (maybe).

Last edited:

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are really nice hoodies, great looking jeans, and awesome sneakers, out there in the world.

If I were planning to spend a weekend walking around San Fran, that's what I would wear. Dinner would be different.
Wearing denim and a zip up hoodie tonight because it’s Sunday and I didn’t feel the need to break out tweed and some country shoes to run to the grocery store to get a gallon of milk. *gasp* I hope the forum can forgive me.

Gman56

Reaction score
Pre-pandemic, when I actually used to GO to work, I frequently got comments on my shoes. I have a nice selection of AEs which I take care of. Even our CEO admired my Higgins Mill boots. Also have received many comments on watches even though I don't think I paid more than $200 for any of them.

upsett1_spaghett1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I live in Portland and generally the men here dress pretty terribly. I get complimented on most outfits which SF folks wouldn't even notice, just because I make an effort to ensure my clothes fit well and I try to be conscious of pattern and color (this is for casual or professional outfits).

Shoes (of all kind, sorry CM folks I do love my sneakers too) are something I really love, but I have noticed that when people give me compliments on my shoes it is usually not someone who's particularly stylish and its not really a compliment. It means my shoes are overshadowing the rest of the outfit and may even be a glaring error. Someone who isn't particularly conscious of style simply sees them and it's not something they own so they mention that they like it because to them it's impressive to have something unique. For me, I see that and I take it as "these shoes do not work with this outfit, or may not even work with my wardrobe."

On rare occasions I will have someone who's super into shoes notice something I'm wearing and go "nice shoes" but I can tell they also just really like shoes because they're also well heeled.

Keith Taylor

Reaction score
Wearing denim and a zip up hoodie tonight because it’s Sunday and I didn’t feel the need to break out tweed and some country shoes to run to the grocery store to get a gallon of milk. *gasp* I hope the forum can forgive me.

Over the past year of regular lockdowns I’ve gone in entirely the other direction, spending an age each day picking out my outfit for the elevator ride and 50m walk to the shop on the ground floor of my apartment building. My wife thinks I’ve lost it, and people of the generation who use the word would describe me as thirsty. They are both absolutely correct :p

upsett1_spaghett1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Over the past year of regular lockdowns I’ve gone in entirely the other direction, spending an age each day picking out my outfit for the elevator ride and 50m walk to the shop on the ground floor of my apartment building. My wife thinks I’ve lost it, and people of the generation who use the word would describe me as thirsty. They are both absolutely correct :p
I thought I was bad picking out fits to wear on my daily walk to the mail room to pick up new things I bought for online retail therapy

Betta

Reaction score
I live in Portland and generally the men here dress pretty terribly. I get complimented on most outfits which SF folks wouldn't even notice, just because I make an effort to ensure my clothes fit well and I try to be conscious of pattern and color (this is for casual or professional outfits).

Shoes (of all kind, sorry CM folks I do love my sneakers too) are something I really love, but I have noticed that when people give me compliments on my shoes it is usually not someone who's particularly stylish and its not really a compliment. It means my shoes are overshadowing the rest of the outfit and may even be a glaring error. Someone who isn't particularly conscious of style simply sees them and it's not something they own so they mention that they like it because to them it's impressive to have something unique. For me, I see that and I take it as "these shoes do not work with this outfit, or may not even work with my wardrobe."

On rare occasions I will have someone who's super into shoes notice something I'm wearing and go "nice shoes" but I can tell they also just really like shoes because they're also well heeled.
Not sure if same Portland, I took a pair of shoes to get lulu metal tips to a cobbler, in the Beave. Cobbler said "We either get Nikes, Danner's, or cowboy boots". I should have turned around right then and there... Deeply regretted it, ended up with generic huge metal toe plates and horrible topy job :/

upsett1_spaghett1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not sure if same Portland, I took a pair of shoes to get lulu metal tips to a cobbler, in the Beave. Cobbler said "We either get Nikes, Danner's, or cowboy boots". I should have turned around right then and there... Deeply regretted it, ended up with generic huge metal toe plates and horrible topy job :/
What shoes did you take? I'm in the same Portland, also what cobbler because I need a pair of Meermins resoled soon and would like to avoid that

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads