• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do people notice your shoes ?

Dorsoduro

Reaction score
Against my better judgement I also I have to just lol at this. Because the answer is an unequivocal absolutely not. It also wasn't the original question. The question was whether or not people notice your shoes. I think we've pretty well covered that yes your shoes get noticed but it's mainly whether they work with an outfit or are well enough maintained, have a shine, have salt stains etc. But no - there is not a single person is out there noticing "the quality" of your shoes. They aren't noticing whether your shoes are glued or hand welted, what type of heel stiffener is used in them, whether the soles are oak bark tanned or not, how many stitches per inch are used or whether the leather is good quality based on looks alone from 6+ feet away from them.
Speak for yourself is all I have to say to that ?

dogjaeja

Reaction score
I often notice people's eyes darting down at my feet, but I tend to get actual comments on the more unique pairs.
Blue calf monks, suede & calf galways, well-shined museum calf shoes, etc.

But in my area - it's far more common to overhear comments on a pair of Doc Martens or budget western & workwear boots.

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I mean last month we had entire **** show of a thread because people who spend time on this forum bought shoes and had no idea how they were made. The idea that anyone can tell the difference when looking at your shoes about the construction or components is nonsense because they’re literally on the inside of the shoe where they couldn’t be noticed.

I have plenty of pairs of “quality” footwear and I’m more of a shoe guy than a tailoring or menswear guy, I just understand that I buy these things for myself to appreciate and enjoy not because some random person on the street gives a **** or notices that I opted for voucalou over crust or asked my maker to use 12 spi on the outsole vs 10 or asked for Bakers components over JR.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I would be surprised if the average SF-er can even tell the difference between these things. There was recently a controversy here where a company selling handwelted shoes turned out to be selling glued shoes. One of the active "shoe guys" on this forum was tasked with "reviewing" these shoes, and he didn't even know he had glued shoes in his hand. He compared them favorably to Crockett and Jones and Edward Green. Turned out, the shoes are built more like Cole Haan.

Without all the flashy details -- such as bright colors, fiddleback waists, two-tone combos, sleek lasts, heavily shaped heels, etc. -- I think most people here would struggle to know whether a pair of shoes was "high end." Once you take out all the flashy details, many "high end" shoes can just look like regular shoes.

Here's a pair of bespoke shoes I own from Nicholas Templeman. The styling is very conservative, but in terms of "build quality," it's a very well-made pair of shoes. I'm sure to the average person on the street, a pair of Ferragamos look better.

tumblr_inline_p7phw5hGUx1qfex1b_540.jpg

Here's another pair of bespoke shoes with all the details mentioned earlier -- handwelting, leather stiffeners, etc.

IMG_8141.jpg

Here are some other shoes (these are from other people)

IMG_6868.jpeg
700.jpg
9cf36a1b4c62d0bf1a2a3dadb899b07d.jpeg

Which pair looks "higher end?" I assume the second set. Those are from Meermin.

Last edited:

Potatoe

Reaction score
I would be surprised if the average SF-er can even tell the difference between these things. There was recently a controversy here where a company selling handwelted shoes turned out to be selling glued shoes. One of the active "shoe guys" on this forum was tasked with "reviewing" these shoes, and he didn't even know he had glued shoes in his hand. He compared them favorably to Crockett and Jones and Edward Green. Turned out, the shoes are built more like Cole Haan.

Without all the flashy details -- such as bright colors, fiddleback waists, two-tone combos, sleek lasts, heavily shaped heels, etc. -- I think most people here would struggle to know whether a pair of shoes was "high end." Once you take out all the flashy details, many "high end" shoes can just look like regular shoes.

Here's a pair of bespoke shoes I own from Nicholas Templeman. The styling is very conservative, but in terms of "build quality," it's a very well-made pair of shoes. I'm sure to the average person on the street, a pair of Ferragamos look better.

View attachment 1600192

Here's another pair of bespoke shoes with all the details mentioned earlier -- handwelting, leather stiffeners, etc.

View attachment 1600193

View attachment 1600195 View attachment 1600200 View attachment 1600201

This post is based.

I can't say for sure but I suspect meermin is sort of max for normal people noticing nice shoes.

When I opened the box with my first and only pair of meermin Oxfords my wife looked at them and said "wow those are beautiful".

Unfortunately they gave me nasty blisters and the lether seems,, not great.

Meermin asthetics with more comfort and better leather is probably the as far as anyone should go logically. If you go further you're probably a shoe guy.

Could be worse though, you could be a watch guy. ?

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last pair I got a public compliment on was just a short time ago...
Shoe? AoL dark green V-2 sneaker.

Dorsoduro

Reaction score
I mean last month we had entire **** show of a thread because people who spend time on this forum bought shoes and had no idea how they were made. The idea that anyone can tell the difference when looking at your shoes about the construction or components is nonsense because they’re literally on the inside of the shoe where they couldn’t be noticed.

I have plenty of pairs of “quality” footwear and I’m more of a shoe guy than a tailoring or menswear guy, I just understand that I buy these things for myself to appreciate and enjoy not because some random person on the street gives a **** or notices that I opted for voucalou over crust or asked my maker to use 12 spi on the outsole vs 10 or asked for Bakers components over JR.
once again, speak for yourself.

Dorsoduro

Reaction score

View attachment 1600192

View attachment 1600193

View attachment 1600195 View attachment 1600200 View attachment 1600201

San Francisco isn’t exactly the cradle of sophistication or fashion on the contrary it doesn’t even register -

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
San Francisco isn’t exactly the cradle of sophistication or fashion on the contrary it doesn’t even register -

How do you not slip on a series of banana peels every day until a piano falls out of the sky and turns you into a walking human accordion?

SF in this case stands for "Styleforum member," not San Franciscan.

Dorsoduro

Reaction score
How do you not slip on a series of banana peels every day until a piano falls out of the sky and turns you into a walking human accordion?

SF in this case stands for "Styleforum member," not San Franciscan.
Oh yes because we all know that SF standing for style forum is a globally accepted and universally known acronym - please get a life

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh yes because we all know that SF standing for style forum is a globally accepted and universally known acronym - please get a life

It actually is, on SF.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Reading typically involves reading one sentence after another, putting information into context with new information learned. My post mentions that there was recently a controversy on "this forum." This place is called StyleForum, hence SF-er.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads