• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do People Need GEDs?

deadly7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I was having a discussion with some people and wasn't sure what the "correct" approach on this is. If someone has successfully graduated college from a foreign country, would it make sense for that person to get a GED here? I know some hiring managers don't care, but I also know that some do.

hoozah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
college degree > G.E.D

shouldn't matter which country it's attained in.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hoozah
college degree > G.E.D

shouldn't matter which country it's attained in.

so you'll be lining up at the clinic for a surgeon who graduated in rural Laos then?

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Matt
so you'll be lining up at the clinic for a surgeon who graduated in rural Laos then?
I didn't realize that you can get a medical license after graduating from college in a foreign country. This makes little sense. GED is in lieu of going to high school, not medical school.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
read the phrase I quoted, he said a college degree's validity should not be dependent upon the country in which it is issued. I took that to an extreme to highlight how questionable an assertion it is.

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Matt
I'd line up for the certified surgeon from Laos over the American surgeon with only a GED.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
nm

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
A GED is a pointless credential unless you didn't finish high school. No need for this.

Hombre Secreto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Don Carlos
A GED is a pointless credential unless you didn't finish high school. No need for this.
I only finished the 8th grade and I was able to attend city college and possibly could of transfered to SC or UCLA for film school. Didn't need a high school diploma or GED. EDIT: Actually I didn't finish middle school either... At the time I was going to school they couldn't flunk you in 7th and 8th grade and you got a free pass to high school. As soon as I found that out I just went to ditching parties, or stayed home for the most part. I only went to high school when my father dragged me there.

TyCooN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hombre Secreto
I only finished the 8th grade and I was able to attend city college and possibly could of transfered to SC or UCLA for film school. Didn't need a high school diploma or GED.
One of my friends did something similar. He applied and went into community college, and they didn't even AZZk if he had a HS diploma. He spent years on that HS diploma for nothing!!!!!!!1111
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by intent
I'd line up for the certified surgeon from Laos over the American surgeon with only a GED.
LOL, people are so literal... Taking the OP's position on 'should the creds from there be relevant here', my point is that the checks, balances and transferability of degrees and diplomas exist for a reason - such as the prevention of Laos-trained surgeons arriving in the US and performing kidney transplants from home with their unreadable and effectively unverifiable degree framed above their kitchen table - and if that means that some kid from somewhere has to go back a few rungs to ensure that their qualifications are applicable, then so be it. There will of course be inevitable casualties and unfortunate side effects for people's lives in such a system ("I was a doctor back home and now I clean hospitals") but as an approach principle, I think it is basically sound.

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bkstone
You can not legally be a surgeon in America with only a GED.
5086.gif

Let me phrase this better: I'd rather choose a Laos-trained and -certified surgeon who happens not to be certified for practice in America than an American who only has a GED and lacks such surgical training.

deadly7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quit ******** all over my thread, ya'll.

v0rtex

Reaction score
Originally Posted by deadly7
So I was having a discussion with some people and wasn't sure what the "correct" approach on this is. If someone has successfully graduated college from a foreign country, would it make sense for that person to get a GED here? I know some hiring managers don't care, but I also know that some do.
As someone who immigrated here with a technical degree, no-one has ever asked me for a GED - it's implied that if you have a college degree then you're capable of GED-level work. In industry the most I've ever been asked to provide is proof that I had the degree. I looked into a master's program recently and as part of the application I'd need to submit my UK degree to a service that reports what the equivalent US grades would be. Perhaps if you're applying to a large corporation for a position that only requires GED level work but has regular applicants who do not have that qualification, and the hiring manager is following policy to the letter then you'd be asked.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads