1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Do people like the Varsity american college sport jackets as streetwear?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by VictorC, Aug 12, 2010.

1. VictorC

VictorC Senior member

2. Regal

Regal Well-Known Member

If you like the look of a varsity jacket would this be a good alternative.
    I went into american apparel and ask if they had any baseball jackets and was pointed to this.

http://store.americanapparel.net/rsan403.html?cid=209

I'd say that qualifies as a baseball jacket, but is it the look you're after? Also, a jacket like that will be quite light weight. I think the one posted on the previous page looks fantastic...looks heavy and not very "teenager" at all.

3. ethanlee29

ethanlee29 Senior member

Checked revolve and it was out of stock :[

And I've seen some on Asos, but I'm not sure if I wanna experiment with sizing and all that since Asos is across the pond and shipping might be a pain to deal with.

i have one in small if anyone's interested

4. VictorC

VictorC Senior member

I'd say that qualifies as a baseball jacket, but is it the look you're after? Also, a jacket like that will be quite light weight. I think the one posted on the previous page looks fantastic...looks heavy and not very "teenager" at all.

Yes american apparel one was not the one i originally was after but i went into that shop because i thought they would have something. It was really light weight and i think for the rain mostly. But i bought it anyway.
    What is the one you like?

5. Regal

Regal Well-Known Member

The American Apparel one is pretty cool, definitely more for rain than the cold (as you said); I think the big winner has got to be the one Flieger posted at the bottom of page 2. Looks they were $175 on the group buy, which is a good price for a solid jacket like that!

6. VictorC

VictorC Senior member

The American Apparel one is pretty cool, definitely more for rain than the cold (as you said); I think the big winner has got to be the one Flieger posted at the bottom of page 2. Looks they were $175 on the group buy, which is a good price for a solid jacket like that!

Yes thanks it is pretty teenagery, but i think it is american casual in looks wise and that is what i was after at the end of the day. I think i will wear it in summer mostly or when raining

7. VictorC

VictorC Senior member

What do people think of this one?
    http://www.asos.com/Men/Jackets-Wais...parentID=Rf107

The one im talking about is the £36 called baseball sweat jacket! Do people know what the relevance or significance the word SWEAT means and does it change the function of the jacket compared to the £150 american college one?

8. willy cheesesteak

willy cheesesteak Senior member

9. flyguy7

flyguy7 Senior member

I can't believe this threak is still running. I feel like if you want a varsity that's one of the few items where you have only one place to go, unless you have a big thing for over-priced tom ford steez

10. JackTheRipper

JackTheRipper Senior member

And that one place is...?

11. willy cheesesteak

willy cheesesteak Senior member

12. Meis

Meis Senior member

I'll go try it on and see, I'm a short dude at 5'9. All of UO men's stuff have a typical 27 or 28'' length. Thanks for the headsup.

uhhh what? Last time I checked average height for a guy was 5'9. You aren't short at all...

13. flyguy7

flyguy7 Senior member

14. Flieger

Flieger Senior member

That jacket looks awesome. Is the collar diff than on the std varsity?

Its a fold over collar. Check the thread on the Centralia knitting mills group buy for more info and various pics.

15. Flieger

Flieger Senior member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I had little natural light and I was more focused on checking orders and getting addresses right. What do you care you didn't make the team.

Only had two set-in orders, in the end. Here's one.
    [​IMG]

This one's mines
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This customer ordered gray buttons, but got black. Hope that's OK--I think it looks great!
    [​IMG]

I took an especially bad pic of this one [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Thought this customer was pretty creative--colors in the photo aren't TOTALLY true--stripes are burgundy and brown on black.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thought this combo turned out REAL REAL nice. The oxford wool is a great color.
    [​IMG]

Sorry to this customer--the full shot didn't turn out so you just get collar.
    [​IMG]

Fit pic. Wife asked if she should also take a picture of her rolling her eyes. I said no.
    [​IMG]

for more pics and info see this thread:
    http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...128691&page=18

16. VictorC

VictorC Senior member

for more pics and info see this thread:
    http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...128691&page=18

Nice selection. For some reason i like the ones with orangey, or is it golden double stripes on the collar and cuffs.
    Are they all the genuine article with leather sleeves?

17. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

The centralias are nice, you guys got a good jacket at a good price with those. I realize it took awhile, but that is clothes making I guess. From what I know of varsity jackets and the different combinations and things you can do to them, it's hard to make any that look terrible, but there's only 2 or 3 things to choose on a jacket anyway.
    To me, the quintessential jacket is leather sleeves, melton body, a ribbed trim. The ones high school jocks get are traditional American-sized, big billowy things - you gotta fit some big kids in those things sometimes. I don't remember how much they cost when I went to high school, but they weren't cheap, they were like 2 or 300 back then. I hear (from my mother, who is a high school teacher of design, coincidentally) nowadays they go up really high, like $300-500+, though that might be for a base jacket plus all the custom chenille patches (which are made by hand)... If you get some script, some logos, a chest emblem, some numbers, that stuff adds up. Thinking back on it though, I know the quality on those things was so-so, I think the Centralias look much nicer than something like a garden variety high school issue DeLong.

On the other hand, the varsity jacket as a streetwear item, it's just the idea of contrast sleeve coloring, contrast fabric textures, some American themes going on, it's a lot of current ideas in one and there's traditional to modern styles out there, so nothing wrong with that.

18. Flieger

Flieger Senior member

Nice selection. For some reason i like the ones with orangey, or is it golden double stripes on the collar and cuffs.
    Are they all the genuine article with leather sleeves?

This is what the specs were like in the group buy:

If you're a tl;dr type, scroll down for the specs and the cost.

As has been discussed on a few occasions before, Centralia Knitting Mills has been making dandy woolen products in Washington state since 1939, and they make a sweet varsity/letterman jacket. The American-made quality, never-changed-never-needed-to-change styling, and tradition of heritage have a lot of appeal for Styleforum types. Lines like Engineered Garments have (reportedly) used CKM as a maker for knitwear, and their custom varsity/letterman jackets fetch $300+ on Rakuten. They use 24 oz. boiled melton wool (all virgin) and full-grain leather to craft jackets that are little different today than they were 30 years ago or more.

Evolving from the letter sweaters worn by college athletes in the late 1800s (supposedly, originally at Harvard), varsity jackets have been the mark of proud sportsmen for nearly a century (and straightedgers since the 80s), but the past few seasons have seen a new explosion of these pieces in the collective consciousness, in designer collections and men's lines. Pedigreed vintage jackets hang in shops like Mister Freedom; Supreme does a varsity most years; APC put out a S/S09 bomber with varsity styling that sold out quickly; Hedi Slimane has been photographed wearing an embroidered version; Comme des Garcons made varsity-influenced sportcoats for F/W08; and Balenciaga's long, lean take is out this fall. Fuuma almost bought it! He's Canadian and arguably cooler than anyone.

In trying to arrive at a consensus design for the Styleforum buy, I polled this to death. I've talked with Centralia and I've talked with Mauro Farinelli (of Farinelli's in Arlington, VA; Mauro's getting involved as a favor to Styleforum to make the ordering and shipping process easier"”essentially so you don't have to count exclusively on me). The final design for this group buy is a minimal version that keeps some of the unique elements of CKM jackets (e.g., foldover collar and cuffs) while eschewing details like chenille letters that might make you look like you're a sad alum trying to relive the glory days. I'd rather you recognized other Styleforum members by the general cut of their jib(s), not because you both have a big fuzzy SF on your chest. As for customization, you can order any color combo in the American extracurricular athletic spectrum (see swatches below). I expect to go with dark cardinal wool and dark gray leather, coincidentally not too far off SF colors and the colors of Enfield Tennis Academy.

I hope to get us a piece of classic, American-manufactured sportswear, made to SF standards, for a reasonable price. This initial run will be limited to ease logistics. If it goes well, we may be able to make more jackets and/or different designs.

The specs:

"¢\t24 oz. boiled melton wool body
    "¢\tFull-grain leather raglan sleeves
    "¢\t"Swiss knit" wool foldover collar, cuffs, and hem
    "¢\tSnap button front
    "¢\tLeather trim at pockets
    "¢\tNylon lining
    "¢\tAthletic cut for ease of movement"”Centralia is not Balenciaga or ToJ. Sizing down may give you a less full cut, but unfortunately I will not be able to accept returns. I stole a size chart from a .jp site to give people an idea of sizes.
    Code:
    SizeShoulder \tchest\t length\t sleeve
    34(xs)
    36(s) \t44cm\t54cm \t61cm \t62cm
    38(m) \t46\t57\t64 \t63
    40(l) \t49 \t59 \t68 \t65
    42(xl)\t51\t62\t70\t67

Which equals APPROXIMATELY

36(s)\t17in\t21in\t24in\t24.5in
    38(m)\t18\t22.5 \t25\t25
    40(l) \t19.5\t23 \t26 \t25.5
    42(xl) \t20\t24.5\t27.5\t26.5​

Larger sizes and extralong arms are available.

The fare:
    Final price, including CONUS shipping, will be $175.
    If you would like international shipping, contact me and we'll figure something out.

We are trying to finalize orders soonisher than later (order deadline Friday August 7) so, with the estimated 6-week lead time, the jackets should be ready in September.

If you would like to order, copy and fill out the order form below, send it to heyshoreman@gmail.com and shopfarinellis@gmail.com, and Paypal $175 to Mauro at maurofarinelli@gmail.com.

Color options are below the form, rendered as well as possible with my crappy point and shoot.

NAME:
    STYLEFORUM USERNAME:
    ADDRESS:
    PHONE:
    E-MAIL:
    SIZE (numerical):
    BODY COLOR:
    SLEEVE COLOR:
    POCKET TRIM COLOR:
    SNAP COLOR (snaps generally match body color):
    KNIT COLOR (collar, cuffs, hem):
    STRIPES ON KNIT TRIM? Y/N
    STRIPE STYLE (Single, Double, Triple; feathered or not)
    STRIPE COLOR(S):
    WEARER HEIGHT (yes, CKM requests):
    WEARER WEIGHT(yes, CKM requests):
    COMMENTS:

Wool colors:
    [​IMG]

Leather colors:
    [​IMG]

Knit trim swatch sheet (for sweaters, but just for reference--knit trim colors correspond roughly with melton colors)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

CKM sign and knit swatch sheet sued with permission from Archival Clothing.

19. Flieger

Flieger Senior member

By the way this groupbuy is closed loooooong time ago.

20. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Senior member

Yeah the Centralia order worked out for everyone in the end, I think. I briefly considered doing a run of sweaters (have one, dig it), but then I came to my senses. Nothing against the CKM people, they're very professional; I'm an amateur. Read somewhere (archival clothing?) that a majority of their business these days comes from Japan.

By the way this groupbuy is closed loooooong time ago.

So your posts are just going to confuse poor victorc more [​IMG]