Do people like the Varsity american college sport jackets as streetwear?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by VictorC, Aug 12, 2010.

1. srendam

srendam Senior member

I think ASOS has them

2. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Senior member

I'll go try it on and see, I'm a short dude at 5'9. All of UO men's stuff have a typical 27 or 28'' length. Thanks for the headsup.
    Let me know how it works out. I'm short too (5'6") and i need a new fall jacket.

3. VictorC

VictorC Senior member

I think ASOS has them

Yep they have a few good ones. But the wrong colours for me i think. I like the navy one, but there are no stripes on the cuff and neck area

4. fdbaker

fdbaker Senior member

The other day I saw some varsity jackets at Johnson Leather in San Francisco that were superb. By far the highest quality I have ever seen for this type of jacket. Unfortunately they don't seem to have any pictures of them on their website. http://www.johnsonleather.com/index.html

5. VictorC

VictorC Senior member

It's not a college thing. It's for high schoolers. If you make the varsity sports team at your school you get a jacket.

I don't know about wearing one outside of this context though, especially if you look like you graduated high school 15 years ago or couldnt make a high school ping pong team.

In your opinion is the varsity jacket more associated with american football or Baseball or some other sport?

6. aaaeeeiiiooouuu

aaaeeeiiiooouuu Senior member

Shades of Greige had a "baseball jacket" in their S/S '10 which is really similar to a varsity jacket: [​IMG] Also, someone in WAYWT II was wearing a red letter jacket in one of his photos. You'll have to dig it out if you wanna see it - it was a sick look, though.

7. fdbaker

fdbaker Senior member

In my high school, and I think most others, they could be worn by anyone who lettered in a varsity sport. You sewed on a patch which indicated the sport in which you lettered.

8. JackTheRipper

JackTheRipper Senior member

Shades of Greige had a "baseball jacket" in their S/S '10 which is really similar to a varsity jacket: [​IMG] Also, someone in WAYWT II was wearing a red letter jacket in one of his photos. You'll have to dig it out if you wanna see it - it was a sick look, though.
    Checked revolve and it was out of stock :[ And I've seen some on Asos, but I'm not sure if I wanna experiment with sizing and all that since Asos is across the pond and shipping might be a pain to deal with.

9. Regal

Regal Well-Known Member

I think i like the blue one. I have wrestled with the idea of buying one for a while. But never sure where on the high street to look for them. I dont want to mistake buy one. I want a decent one. What relevance is the word VARSITY?
    At American high schools (ages 13/14 through 17/18), most sports teams have two variants. One is for the players who are younger, smaller, and/or not as good (Junior Varsity, usually called simply "JV"), and the other is for the best players (Varsity). Whether or not wearing a jacket like this will look costumey all depends on how you wear it. If it fits well, is plain, and you buy it in a muted color (gray, navy blue, etc.) and you don't match everything you're wearing to it, it will look good. Just stay away from baggy fits and bright colors. I noticed you asked if these jackets are more closely associated with baseball or football; any sports team might have these jackets. If you take a look at the baseball jacket a few posts up, though, you'll notice it's a little different. Baseball jackets look like varsity ones but are usually thinner and made to be worn over a uniform while players wait to go up to bat, and they're also less tied to high school as adult players wear these, too. Newer ones are often pullovers and are made mainly of some rainproof material (and wouldn't be worn for style). In any case, if you're more into a jacket that is associated with baseball more than football, a vintage style baseball jacket would be your route. Just for clarification, though, the existence of a baseball jacket doesn't mean varsity jackets are more for football....baseball players would have either both or just a varsity jacket.

10. BB1

BB1 Senior member

He looked like the all american boy and i thought it was a cool look. What do you think? WHere is a good place to get this type of american college jacket?

I want to look like the All American Boy too. Where can I get one of these things?

11. modernrenman

modernrenman Member

And I've seen some on Asos, but I'm not sure if I wanna experiment with sizing and all that since Asos is across the pond and shipping might be a pain to deal with.
    They're doing free shipping and returns to the US for the rest of August. May be worth a shot.

12. VictorC

VictorC Senior member

At American high schools (ages 13/14 through 17/18), most sports teams have two variants. One is for the players who are younger, smaller, and/or not as good (Junior Varsity, usually called simply "JV"), and the other is for the best players (Varsity).

Whether or not wearing a jacket like this will look costumey all depends on how you wear it. If it fits well, is plain, and you buy it in a muted color (gray, navy blue, etc.) and you don't match everything you're wearing to it, it will look good. Just stay away from baggy fits and bright colors.

I noticed you asked if these jackets are more closely associated with baseball or football; any sports team might have these jackets. If you take a look at the baseball jacket a few posts up, though, you'll notice it's a little different. Baseball jackets look like varsity ones but are usually thinner and made to be worn over a uniform while players wait to go up to bat, and they're also less tied to high school as adult players wear these, too. Newer ones are often pullovers and are made mainly of some rainproof material (and wouldn't be worn for style). In any case, if you're more into a jacket that is associated with baseball more than football, a vintage style baseball jacket would be your route. Just for clarification, though, the existence of a baseball jacket doesn't mean varsity jackets are more for football....baseball players would have either both or just a varsity jacket.

I dont favour baseball or football or even basketball. I would just like something that looks the best or most authentic and maybe keep me at least a bit warm in winter.

13. VictorC

VictorC Senior member

I want to look like the All American Boy too. Where can I get one of these things?

Thanks for asking, but thats what im still trying to find out.
    But the youth i saw wear one had a couple of yellow stripes on the cuff, and the collar. The rest of the jacket was kind of blue and white. The arms were white.
    I should have just asked him where he got it?

14. Flieger

Flieger Senior member

I got this one from the SF centralia knitting mills group buy.
    The label says Skookum
    So do a search on either Centralia or Skookum and you'll find lots of info on varsity jackets on this forum.
    [​IMG]

15. VictorC

VictorC Senior member

What should authentic varisty jackets be made of? Is it cotton or wool?