• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do people judge you by the way you are dressed? My Ferrari Story...

Box of Stars

Reaction score
I saw a Ferrari thread here and it reminded me of when my partner bought his Ferrari years ago.

We were driving by the Ferrari dealer and we saw a 355F sitting in the showroom. We said lets go look at it. We walk in to see it and the doors were locked. We asked the only sales person working that night to open the door and he brushed us off. Said they were closing soon and ignored us. We were dressed in shorts, summer clothes. Tennis shoes we were in our early 30s.
So we said ******* and came back the following day.

We asked that sales person for a co-worker, we were dressed the same way. The guy was so cool. He not only showed us the car, but said do you guys want to drive it. So I got in with him, the guy took me up the canyon, traded seats, didn't even ask for a DL, Never asked anything about us. The car sold itself.

We bought it from that guy while the other guy was next to us regretting the sale.

This is to that guy,

Any similar stories? Let's hear it.

BRIMSTONE

Reaction score
This story reminds me of my experience when I was 16 yrs old. I was working construction over the summer break and had saved some money from the overtime I did. I walked into the Birks jewellery store in the Eaton's Center in downtown Toronto. I was a mess as I came from a work site (construction boots, ripped jeans and a T-shirt). I went over to the Rolex counter all the sales ladies ignored me (and just stared my way) for the good part of 20 minutes. Then an older gentleman appeared he asked if I could be of help. I asked if I could see the Rolex line. He went ahead and showed me the entire line. In the end I selected a stainless steel oyster and pulled out around $2000,00 in cash to pay for it. The salesman was a gentleman, I'm glad to have given him the sale. The ladies ended up watching the transaction, hopefully they learned their leason.

KBW

Reaction score
I have 2 such stories

In hs I was set on a 330 coupe and ended up driving a g35 due to every single bmw salesman not having anything to do yet they flat out refused to talk to me at all. I went to the dealer wearing nice clothes but because I was a kid they flat out wouldn't talk to me. I asked 3 times if someone could help me but after 15 minutes of being ignored I left.

Ended up going down the street to check out audi, lexus, and then infiniti. All 3 of those dealers were great. BMW here has a rep for having d-bag salesmen.

This past Tuesday my best friend and I were in Atlanta and we went to the Ferrari/Maserati dealer in Atlanta (Roswell) and he was set on buying a used 911 they had. We called ahead of time and set up an appointment with a salesman and then called him 3 minutes away for directions yet when we got there the lady at the front told us he wasn't there and after waiting on him 30 minutes we left. My buddy found another 911 later that day from a private seller and is buying it this week. My friend that is buying the Porsche looks 5+ years younger than he is but he had already told the salesman there was a good chance he was buying the car and he was serious. While we "waited" on the guy to show up not a single other salesman asked us if we needed help.

oneeightyseven

Almost Special
Reaction score
this happens to me all the time (especially when I was younger and dressed poorly). I'll walk into a store and the sales associates will either: act like I'm not there or act as if I'm going to steal something. Excuse me miss, I'm in Thom Browne, Dior etc. I don't need to steal from your crappy store.
ffffuuuu.gif

PiperInAlberta

Reaction score
Yep.

Happened when I was buying my first car. Local car dealership wouldn't give me the price I wanted because they figured I couldn't pay (and Honda told me flat out they wouldn't give me a deal because the Civic was the most popular car in my demographic and that I'd be back in a week to buy it at the full price).

I told them I would pay in cash and wanted a better price, they didn't believe it and stuck to their offer.

Went to a a couple dealers out of town, one of them gave me the price I was asking for as well as some extra goodies. I handed him a cheque for the full price of my new car and promptly drove back to my local dealership and told him he lost the sale because he was an idiot. Should have seen the look on his face.

I then went to the Honda dealership and told them that their cars were sh*t and that I went with their competitor.

It also happens sometimes in fancy restaurants due to my age. I have encountered waiters and staff who gave me crummy service because (or at least I assume it was, it was the vibe I was getting) they didn't figure I would leave them a good enough tip because I was 'young and poor'. I always happily oblige.

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PiperInAlberta
I handed him a cheque for the full price of my new car and promptly drove back to my local dealership and told him he lost the sale because he was an idiot. Should have seen the look on his face.

I then went to the Honda dealership and told them that their cars were sh*t and that I went with their competitor.

Sure you did
rolleyes.gif

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Bus Driver: That Veronica Vaughn is one piece of "ace". I know from experience, dude, if you know what I mean.
Billy Madison: No, you don't.
Bus Driver: Well, not me personally, but a guy I know...him and her *got it on*! Whoooooo-eeeeee!
Billy Madison: No, they didn't.
Bus Driver: No, no, they didn't. But you could imagine what it'd be like if they did, huh?

n2233386592_35421.jpg

bigasahouse

Reaction score
Had the reverse happen to me. Went into a jewelry store, and I had a fake Panerai on. The woman working there got very excited when she saw it. I kind of felt bad for her that I wasn't the big timer she thought had just landed in her lap.

nootje

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
heh, happened once or twice when i went out for dinner at 2 star level.. sommelier didnt know how to act around someone half the age of the regular patrons.. he quickly became warmer when I showed interest, and ordered some rare cognacs (my vice when going out).

I usually make a point to stick around and politely make their mistake known to them, im not going to mope because some salesman/waiter or whatever cant judge people properly..

besides, when they realize their mistake the service usually becomes a lot better
smile.gif

coldarchon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
this happens to me all the time. I'm going to be 34 this year, people guess I'm 24 or even younger. In restaurants waiters sometimes think it's me and my girls prom night. managers from other branches who see me with my staff tend to talk to me like as if I was a son of a big shot as a trainee.

I've got endless stories when buying suits, so I got a good dressmaker now ..

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's a well known sociological experiment. People always react positively to those dressed smartly / authoritatively. Why do you think many members of the SS wore lab coats around the concentration camps, when they were quacks at best? There's a reason why people stop you for directions or to ask the time when you're suited and booted.

Try it yourself, ask people for some change for a pay phone wearing a suit, then try it in jeans and a t-shirt. Compare how much you get.

mr monty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Box of Stars
I saw a Ferrari thread here and it reminded me of when my partner bought his Ferrari years ago.

We were driving by the Ferrari dealer and we saw a 355F sitting in the showroom. We said lets go look at it. We walk in to see it and the doors were locked. We asked the only sales person working that night to open the door and he brushed us off. Said they were closing soon and ignored us. We were dressed in shorts, summer clothes. Tennis shoes we were in our early 30s.
So we said ******* and came back the following day.

We asked that sales person for a co-worker, we were dressed the same way. The guy was so cool. He not only showed us the car, but said do you guys want to drive it. So I got in with him, the guy took me up the canyon, traded seats, didn't even ask for a DL, Never asked anything about us. The car sold itself.

We bought it from that guy while the other guy was next to us regretting the sale.

This is to that guy,

Any similar stories? Let's hear it.

Do people judge you by the way you lie? My Ferrari Story

You could have started this tall tale with "Once upon time in a far away Ferrari showroom..."

Pics or it didn't happen?

You are the same guy buying $128 Alfani suits from Macy
lol8[1].gif

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...04#post2727704

Box of Stars

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mr monty
Do people judge you by the way you lie? My Ferrari Story

You could have started this tall tale with "Once upon time in a far away Ferrari showroom..."

You are the same guy buying $128 Alfani suits from Macy
lol8[1].gif

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...04#post2727704

Reading isn't your strong point I take it. You're confusing me with TyroneFig, who was the OP of that thread. I was just trying to help him out.

PiperInAlberta

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Reggs
Sure you did
rolleyes.gif

I did...promise.

(I got a big backpay cheque and did what any irresponsible young male would do...I went and bought a brand new car).

Or are you referring to my return visits to the pricks at the dealerships? Again, I did. I like rubbing things in people's faces.

Toiletduck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the lesson to the thread is...dress nicely?
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads