• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do people buy tailoring on eBay these days?

Mr. Neckgap

Reaction score
A few years back I would try to bid on various items, like sport coats, but I was usually outbid. Even SuitSupply stuff was going for relatively high sums. I did manage to get some nice ties though.

I did not consider selling stuff at that time, since the small profit didn’t seem worth the effort.

Nowadays however, my financial situation is much more restrained. Selling a suit I don’t wear anymore (for example a navy Hugo Boss) for 50 € would make a difference. But for 10 € I don’t think I could be bothered.

I’m located in the EU, but I suppose I could ship internationally.

I shop second hand, and if tailoring still sell on eBay, I might even consider flipping items. Just the last year or two, I have passed up a Boglioli suit and two Boglioli sport coats because they didn’t fit me right (jackets too short!). I could have bought them for 5-10 €.

Anyone with experience selling pre-owned tailoring on eBay? Is there a market still?

leapyourbar

Reaction score
Can't say I've used ebay much lately; in 2017, I purchased a beautiful Isaia suit and an Eidos Suit which are two workhorses in my wardrobe. Grailed has been good to me over the years -- I've purchased two jackets from grailed that worked out well too. I've got my eye on a couple of things on Ebay now, however. In my experience, eBay is awesome for trying out brands that cost a fortune at a fraction of the price.

CottonTownBoy

Reaction score
All the time as a buyer on eBay and Vinted. Nearly all my clothes are preowned. The only things I buy new are shoes. I carefully look to see were its made and by who. As I am handy with a needle and thread, I often buy items that may need altering or repairing. Turnbull & Asser shirts & ties, DAKS Sports Jackets, John Smedley knitwear are great buys. Suits are harder because I need a larger arm hole, long legs and pleats but in the last year I have bought a Turnbull & Asser suit for £60, Gieves & Hawkes suit for £40, both untouched bargains.
As things tighten in the next 2 years there will be more preowned bargains.

Mr. Neckgap

Reaction score
Can't say I've used ebay much lately; in 2017, I purchased a beautiful Isaia suit and an Eidos Suit which are two workhorses in my wardrobe. Grailed has been good to me over the years -- I've purchased two jackets from grailed that worked out well too. I've got my eye on a couple of things on Ebay now, however. In my experience, eBay is awesome for trying out brands that cost a fortune at a fraction of the price.

Yes, it could be a good place to find great deals. I’d imagine Isaia and Eidos will always sell well. High end stuff will have a market.

Mr. Neckgap

Reaction score
All the time as a buyer on eBay and Vinted. Nearly all my clothes are preowned. The only things I buy new are shoes. I carefully look to see were its made and by who. As I am handy with a needle and thread, I often buy items that may need altering or repairing. Turnbull & Asser shirts & ties, DAKS Sports Jackets, John Smedley knitwear are great buys. Suits are harder because I need a larger arm hole, long legs and pleats but in the last year I have bought a Turnbull & Asser suit for £60, Gieves & Hawkes suit for £40, both untouched bargains.
As things tighten in the next 2 years there will be more preowned bargains.
Amazing finds, congratulations!

Knitwear and shirts usually fits reasonably well, but how do you make sure of the fit before buying jackets and suits? Do you often have to return them?

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Think the OP is talking about selling items on eBay, not buying items. You're not going to get a lot of money from selling a Hugo Boss suit, but if it's a staple navy color in a common (popular) size, you might come out with a 50 € profit. Might be good to clear out your closet regardless of profit if you have items that you know you will never wear again.

If you don't want to deal with the hassle, there are middlemen who handle all of the listing, shipping, etc. Not sure who to go with in the EU, though. On the one hand, you give up a significant fraction of the profit for their services but on the other hand, some well-known eBay sellers have many followers so you might end up doing better on an auction through them rather than on your own.

Mr. Neckgap

Reaction score
Think the OP is talking about selling items on eBay, not buying items. You're not going to get a lot of money from selling a Hugo Boss suit, but if it's a staple navy color in a common (popular) size, you might come out with a 50 € profit. Might be good to clear out your closet regardless of profit if you have items that you know you will never wear again.

If you don't want to deal with the hassle, there are middlemen who handle all of the listing, shipping, etc. Not sure who to go with in the EU, though. On the one hand, you give up a significant fraction of the profit for their services but on the other hand, some well-known eBay sellers have many followers so you might end up doing better on an auction through them rather than on your own.
Correct, I’m interested in selling. But it’s interesting to hear if people are buying, from both sides so to speak, both from experienced buyers and sellers.

Previously I would either donate or give to friends, but now I’m thinking about trying to get something for it.

I hadn’t heard about grailed before, it also looks like an interesting option.

Basically, I would be happy with the 90% rule. So if I could get 50 € for a Boss suit which cost about 500 € new, I‘d be very happy.

leapyourbar

Reaction score
I have a bunch of stuff up on Grailed now (four Isaia jackets, an Eidos suit, drakes tie, sid mashburn and stoffa shirts)...I just ignore lowballers and hold out. Grailed fees have got worse, BUT, they're still the lowest.

CottonTownBoy

Reaction score
I genuinely feel sorry for sellers of suits on marketplaces such as eBay,Vinted and Grailled. On one end, you have the market awash with SuitSupply selling their returns on eBay and they can't give them away. On the other end, you have the high end, Savile Row suits, which must have been £3-£5k new and now their owners can't sell them, even at £300-£500. They only sell when the price drops below £250, in my experience. That's some depreciation and you relate it to a cost per wear it’s frightening.

Last edited:

acconrad

Reaction score
I sold a bunch of stuff at a profit on eBay. Treated me better than Grailed. The B&S forums here are dead

Mr. Neckgap

Reaction score
I sold a bunch of stuff at a profit on eBay. Treated me better than Grailed. The B&S forums here are dead
Any advice on how to get things sold on eBay? Do you use the auction or just put something up for a fixed price and wait?

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any advice on how to get things sold on eBay? Do you use the auction or just put something up for a fixed price and wait?

Fixed price is the way to sell now. It used to be that most things were sold by auction but now you run a very real risk of selling an auction item for practically nothing.

Suits, sport coats, and ties have trended down in price over the last several years. Made in USA shirts have held steady. That is the observation from my little piece of the market. My experience is Brooks Brothers and a few other mid-range brands.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads