• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do others really notice "fit"

Milhouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a few suits that are exactly the same, except for the color and pattern of the fabric. One is a grey pinstripe pattern, and it seems to consistently get compliments. Another is a navy solid and it gets no compliments.

Since fit is equal in this case, and because I will often wear the same shirts and ties with both of these suits, the only variable left is the color/pattern.

So, do others care about fit, or do they simply notice the colors and patterns?

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Outside of us clothes freaks I've noticed that few notice fit. Where I work every man has to wear a suit, and most obviously wear terrible black sacks.

I get my share of compliments, but talking with women about the fit of suiting they very often tell me they do not notice how poorly the other men dress or how poorly their clothes fit. Very disconcerting.

I used to have this dreadful gold pinstripe suit. It was great quality, but was too big and fit almost like a zoot suit. I got more compliments from that mafia-esque ************* than anything else I've ever worn. So it went to good will.

sfnewbie

Reaction score
Around my work, I'd have to say very very few people do. I can only think of 2 or 3 people. Thinking back a few months I never really noticed either.

koolhistorian

Reaction score
Ladies will notice, that is for sure. Pinstripes are more visible as "fitting" than plains, so fit will be more noticed on a pinstripe than on plains. It is about optical illusion, it elongates the figure, it creates a vertical dimension that plain fabrics don't have.

stamp0102

Reaction score
if u frequent SF, then yes...

otherwise, not really...

IMHO, most people look at dress as more of the big picture. If you look like a bafoon, they will notice. But, if you look conservative/mainstream, most people won't look twice (unless they are of the opposite sex and find "you" attractive). If the fit is HORRIBLE, they will notice. Too big, too long, too tight, etc. But if it is within a normal range, most people won't know any better.

Spatlese

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by stamp0102
if u frequent SF, then yes...

otherwise, not really...

IMHO, most people look at dress as more of the big picture. If you look like a bafoon, they will notice. But, if you look conservative/mainstream, most people won't look twice (unless they are of the opposite sex and find "you" attractive). If the fit is HORRIBLE, they will notice. Too big, too long, too tight, etc. But if it is within a normal range, most people won't know any better.

+1 in my experience and past workplaces.

Eccentric

Reaction score
Back before I knew clothes, I could still sort of appreciate nice fit in a suit. I could never quite put a finger on it, but some people just looked "better", and these were the ones who wore well fitted suits.

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think people notice, but not consciously. Most people don't know how something is supposed to fit, but when they see a dead-on flattering fit, they'll just think to themselves "he looks nice" but won't be sure why.

J'aimelescravates

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FidelCashflow
I think people notice, but not consciously. Most people don't know how something is supposed to fit, but when they see a dead-on flattering fit, they'll just think to themselves "he looks nice" but won't be sure why.

+1. This is exactly what I was going to say

Threadbearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FidelCashflow
Double-plus good.

Charlie Big Potato

Reaction score
Agreed with above posts. I dont think people will be able to specifically point out what makes clothes or a suit "fit well," but I think people are perceptive to when clothing hits at the right angles and is well fitted to ones' body type. That's why its so much more important to have clothing - even cheap clothes - fitted (and if necessary, tailored) to fit properly rather than going for particular brands - even if they have better quality fabrics.

Shraka

Reaction score
I totally think people notice fit, they're just not educated enough to know what they're noticing. I used to be one of these people. I'd see a guy wearing a suit and think "Wow, that's nice, he's a lot better dressed than I am, even though we're both wearing similar stuff. I wonder what he's doing that I'm not?" I always thought it was just a more expensive suit, with a nicer cut or something. Now I know, his suit fit, while mine did not.

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
People notice the difference between a bad fit and a good fit. They don't always understand why the good fit looks better. But I think they notice. And a bad fit may be more negative than a good fit. Sometimes a good fit is just a neutral, and you will be judged not on the fit but on the style, the colors, the appropriateness of your choices for the weather and context, etc.

Also I think there are diminishing returns with fit. A person must be very observant and well-versed in clothes to see the difference between the good fit and the really good fit. A lot of alterations tailors, for example, work with suits all day and never learn to see the difference between good and really good. It's not that obvious. So I'm not sure you score points with random people with average sartorial knowledge by dialing your fit to 11.

To sum up, a bad fit should always be avoided. And a great fit will not make anything look great to all people.

emptym

Reaction score
Consumer Reports did a little study about what factors make people think a suit looks good. I think their two main variables were fit and cost. They concluded an expensive suit that fits poorly will look worse to people than a cheap suit fitted well.

I agree w/ the many above that we notice but not always, and if we do, we don't always know why.

coogie

Reaction score
people don't realise its the fit thats making you look good, they just think you look good

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads