• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do others really notice "fit"

tradernick

Reaction score
Originally Posted by FidelCashflow
I think people notice, but not consciously. Most people don't know how something is supposed to fit, but when they see a dead-on flattering fit, they'll just think to themselves "he looks nice" but won't be sure why.
Originally Posted by coogie
people don't realise its the fit thats making you look good, they just think you look good
+1

mr.loverman

Reaction score
fit definitely registers with most people but certain people are much more aware of how they judge it.

BABuckeye

Reaction score
Originally Posted by FidelCashflow
I think people notice, but not consciously. Most people don't know how something is supposed to fit, but when they see a dead-on flattering fit, they'll just think to themselves "he looks nice" but won't be sure why.

+1 This could be a SF bumber sticker

BdeRWest

Reaction score
Originally Posted by stamp0102
IMHO, most people look at dress as more of the big picture. If you look like a bafoon, they will notice. But, if you look conservative/mainstream, most people won't look twice…
So true! On every design/self-help show (think "Queer Eye" or "What Not To Wear") the articles of clothing about which people say "but I get so many compliments on that!" are always the most hideous, ill-fitting, loud, pieces of **** in their wardrobe. This leads me to believe People are either cruel, or just dumb, and when something stands out from the norm. their brain goes "hey, look at that!" and their mouth goes "Wow, I like your SpongeBob Squarepants tie!" This is not to say fit is not important. To condone ignorance is reprehensible. We should be teaching men to fish, not giving them a fish or waiting with them for a fish to be given to us.

Zenny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, but on a subconscious level.

Much like scent, tone of voice and gestures, fit is never consciously looked at unless you know what to look for.

dsmolken

Reaction score
Yes. I've once been complimented for a plain white shirt from an inexpensive MTM maker - but I'm a pretty extreme case, having an average-sized torso and a 17 1/2" neck, so the difference between RTW and MTM is obvious. I also bought a cheap "temporary" suit which was a too loose while in a weight gain phase, and definitely got more compliments on it after getting 10-15 pounds heavier and gaining some width in the shoulders.

drax

Reaction score
To me fit is the indefinable other dimension of dress. Fit is more important than style or pattern or even cloth. Fit is usually what makes you notice a very very well dressed man in a suit even if you dont quite know why. But i would hazard that there are two kinds of fit. Theres the fit that makes a rtw suit the right size for you within fairly loose parameters. Thats not the fit that turns heads. Its the second kind that gets a man noticed - defined by a certain slimness to the sleeve, narrowness to the shoulder, roundness to the chest pieces, suppression to the waist that is made by good selection in the case of rtw followed if neccessary by adjustments or by design in a bespoke suit.

Most men only ever achieve the first level of enlightenment and are quite happy with that - and therefore perhaps look only for that kind of fit in others. But few achieve the second level of enlightenment. They're the ones who either by fluke of having a perfectly proportioned body or by dint of serious labors get noticed for the fit of their suits.

Perhaps this is all guff, or is there something in it? Who knows. Its a theory.

embowafa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by coogie
people don't realise its the fit thats making you look good, they just think you look good

Agreed. I got a very unique compliment recently at a college recruiting event (I was representing my company) where a student said "wow, you really stand out".

I asked her why she thought that and she couldn't put my finger on it. Apart from the fact that I wasn't wearing a black suit with a red tie (brown herringbone blazer, navy pin dot tie, navy pants, brown chukkas) I'm almost certain she was referring to the fit of my clothes.

For those that don't care, none of it matters. For those that marginally care, fit is of the utmost importance.

scot

Reaction score
I just get the "Yeah we just through you liked italian suits" statement. Even if half my suits aren't italian, fit seems to translate into italian somehow.

beansprouts1

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
i feel if you have at least a decent sense of style, u notice fit constantly. whether its the baggy shirts and kakhis or ridiculously skinny fit 15 yr olds in black tees; most ppl are dressed pretty poorly these days. that said, i agree that good fit is a lot more subtle and its even hard often for fashion conscious people to distinguish perfect fit from too skinny or too baggy.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads