• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do nice *things* make you arrogant/self-concious?

longskate88

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd like to see what everyone's comment is on this...does wearing a nice watch, suit, or other luxury accessory give you an air of superiority around others that aren't as well dressed? I ask because I think I'm more friendly, talkative, and smile more when I think I'm NOT well dressed. (I'm in college BTW). I've seen some well-dressed guys on campus who seem distant and self-absorbed, while the happy and engaging guys could be wearing pajamas for all they care. It's like the Armani-wearing guys expect others to like them for their clothes, even if their expression is very unattractive. Imagine the ******** who has to have a good personality to make up for her unattractiveness, but the hot girl can just walk into the room and expect to be liked even if she's a *****.
laugh.gif
Do you agree that some people could be thinking "I hope you like me, I have a solid gold Rolex and this bespoke suit " vs. "I hope you like me, I'm friendly and confident"? What say you?
eh.gif

celery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No, I'm down to earth. I don't care what I'm wearing, I'll be friendly to anyone (unless they piss me off / annoy me somehow).

feynmix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
most people don't know what you are wearing anyways, so I don't see how what you wear would have an affect on how you act and socialize with others.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
I'm normally arrogant no matter what I'm wearing.
**** you kwilk, I was going to come in here and post the same line.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by robin
**** you kwilk, I was going to come in here and post the same line.

Just proves why I should be arrogant--- I'm better than you.
blush.gif

adamsnez

Reaction score
it's all in how the person in question views themselves/the world around them.
i *think*, to an outside person who wouldnt be on SF, at first glance they see someone suitted up and label them a bag of dicks and "holier than thou"

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think it makes me arrogant, I'm pretty sure I treat people the same either way. Recently we had some new people over for dinner, including a gentleman with a wife who was still learning the fine nuances of colloquial English. Somehow the conversation got to wedding pictures from a recent family wedding, and the album came out. She saw a picture of me all dressed up and commented "You look quite arrogant in these pictures, all dressed up in your suit.", her husband jumped in and said "Did you mean to say elegant, honey?" "No, arrogant." It was the last time I wore a pocket-square.
confused.gif
But I think nice clothes make me more self-conscious. I can't walk out of the house poorly dressed, I feel like i have a reputation to maintain even if half the people I know can't tell the difference. Even when I see nice clothes for cheap, like Zara, I can't bring myself to buy them because I know its cheap, and I almost feel like I'm cheating (as marsupialed as that sounds.)

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ludeykrus
******** both of you two's moms while you were bickering about who was first.

And I look better.

All probably true, but when I ride my motorbike I don't get big tickets, nor do I file laughable motions.

FTW!
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Originally Posted by Ludeykrus
And have a bigger penis.

Who doesn't?

Maharlika

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No, not at all. I don't validate my self-esteem with material things. Real elegance comes from being self-confident and not from what I wear.

Brian SD

Reaction score
Yea, pretty much. That's why I wear nice clothing, because I'm tired of having to tell people "I'm better than you." Now my shoes say it for me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads