• We would like to welcome American Trench as an official Affiliate Vendor. American Trench is a Philadelphia based outerwear, apparel, and accessories brand, making all of its products in the United States at (mostly) family owned factories. . Please visit the American Trench thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Do my suit trousers look too long, or am I over-obsessing?

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes. With such a small hem opening the trouser cuff can’t even rest over the top of the shoe. Is there enough seam allowance to widen the trouser leg?

HPT704

Reaction score
Yes. With such a small hem opening the trouser cuff can’t even rest over the top of the shoe. Is there enough seam allowance to widen the trouser leg?
I'll have to check. How much should it be widened by? And once it has been widened, should it then be shortened?

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll have to check. How much should it be widened by? And once it has been widened, should it then be shortened?
It’s personal preference but IMO 7.5-8.5” is a reasonable range. If you can widen the trousers, I’d do that first before deciding whether/how much to shorten.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What is the hem opening on those trousers? Do you have another pair of trousers that fits better that you can compare to?

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you like the 8” hem width on your other trousers that seems like the obvious width to try. I wouldn’t go under 7.75” personally.

Last edited:

notdos

Reaction score
I prefer that much taper. But with that much taper, you’re going to lose the break, because it needs to be shorter.

Phillip

HPT704

Reaction score
If you like the 8” hem width on your other trousers that seems like the obvious width to try. I wouldn’t go under 7.75” personally.
I think I agree. Thank you for the information. How exactly should I explain what I want to my tailor?

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think I agree. Thank you for the information. How exactly should I explain what I want to my tailor?
Just tell them that you want the trousers widened to whatever hem width you want. They will know how to widen the leg with a taper so it is not too abrupt. It is not a difficult alteration and it can be reversed since no fabric will be cut off in the process.

Last edited:

HPT704

Reaction score
They will know how to widen the leg with a taper so it is not too abrupt.
Thanks, this was a question I had as well, if widening the hem would make it look "flared out" compared to the rest of the leg.

HPT704

Reaction score
I prefer that much taper. But with that much taper, you’re going to lose the break, because it needs to be shorter.

Phillip
I like how it looks from the side, but from the front doesn't the narrowness towards the bottom make the leg look top-heavy?

notdos

Reaction score
I like how it looks from the side, but from the front doesn't the narrowness towards the bottom make the leg look top-heavy?
So, for me, it’s about the overall silhouette with the jacket. I agree that sans jacket, the trousers aren’t optimum. Again, for me, If the jacket has the right fit and balance, the overall silhouette can be sleek. Totally personal choice.

Phillip

Featured Sponsor

What's the biggest deciding factor for you when making a clothing purchase?

• Style of an item

• Price of an item

• Material of an item

• Brand

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Blauman