• We would like to welcome Exquisite Trimmings as an official Affiliate Vendor. Exquisite Trimmings is a UK based purveyor of the very best in clothing and accessories, from gloves by Thomas Reimer to leather portfolios from Il Micio, to watch rolls by Rapport London. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

do measurements transfer between online MTM?

Redline9k

Reaction score
Now that Ive dialed in the fit for MT, I was wondering if my measurements would transfer directly between the other online MTM shirt makers? I guess they should, but not sure if each shop cuts them slightly different or not.

Anyone have fitting experience between the various online MTM shirtmakers?

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
No, it doesn't work that way. DIfferent makers measure and interpret measurements differently. There are also inevitable differences in style and cut. So, you can't simply transport numbers from one to another and expect similar results.

NefariousSabatour

Reaction score
i can't imagine it working perfectly...but you would have to start somewhere. your measurements would have to stay the same, then be adjusted based on each tailors' cut.

landshark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by phxlawstudent
Just send them a shirt if thats your concern. $10 isn't a lot to pay to get the cut correct.

I don't know why people bother going through 2 or 3 or even 4 shirts until they get a good fit. At the end of the day you've spent $100+ and you have one shirt that fits you well. Send your best shirt in and have 2-4 well fitting shirts for the same price.

amplifiedheat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by landshark
I don't know why people bother going through 2 or 3 or even 4 shirts until they get a good fit. At the end of the day you've spent $100+ and you have one shirt that fits you well. Send your best shirt in and have 2-4 well fitting shirts for the same price.

Some people go to online MTM because they don't have well-fitting shirts in the first place.

Hombre Secreto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think you physically have to be at the shop for any adjustments. I can't see how you can make a perfect shirt any other way.

amplifiedheat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hombre Secreto
I can't see how you can make a perfect shirt any other way.

Are we now going to have to argue about what constitutes the perfect shirt?

Hombre Secreto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by amplifiedheat
Are we now going to have to argue about what constitutes the perfect shirt?

Best fit in my view, but to each his own I guess.

landshark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some people go to online MTM because they don't have well-fitting shirts in the first place.

It's not hard to take a shirt to an alterations tailor and have them make it fit you well.

phxlawstudent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

But the question was whether measurements transfer between MTM services, meaning they already have at least one shirt that they like from one MTM service and now want another from a different MTM service.

But generally, I would agree with you. In which case, the best practice is probably to follow the websites directions and make your own alterations to the shirt. Otherwise... Find a good website that does a good job with body measurements.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How do you feel about spending money on non-essential goods during the Covid-19 crisis?

• I don't want to spend money at a time of economic uncertainty, even if I could afford it.

• I feel compelled to spend to help small businesses that are struggling.

• I reduced my budget for non-essential goods and I'm not spending at the moment.

• Not much has changed for me and I'm still buying stuff I can't afford.

Results are only viewable after voting.