• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do many people move to a new city without having a job lined up?

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I ended up on the city-data forums, because I was looking for something, and then saw several threads of people which all sounded like this: "I used to live in ________, I moved here several months ago, and I still haven't found a job. I need help." Or something to that effect.

Is it really that common to pack up your life and move across the country, just because you heard the cost of living was lower or there were more jobs, without having anything lined up?

Hombre Secreto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You gotta be pretty confident in your skills to do is, or extremely stupid.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
We moved across the country without jobs. I had three offers the first week; it took my wife two weeks to find a job. She's still at the same company after all these years.

I guess we're stupid?

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ever look around you and just be amazed at how stupid some people are?

There's more of them born every minute.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
I guess we're stupid?
That's what you keep trying to make everyone believe. I think it's a ruse to lower the expectations around you, personally, and I'm not going to fall for it.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
That's what you keep trying to make everyone believe. I think it's a ruse to lower the expectations around you, personally, and I'm not going to fall for it.

I guess I'm too stupid to put one over on you?

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I guess I'm too stupid to put one over on you?

I learned that trick from Montgomery Scott.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I learned that trick from Montgomery Scott.

And I fell for that trick? I must be stupid.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
And I fell for that trick? I must be stupid.

No, you were doing the trick.

Lower everyone's expectations, so that when you overshoot them, everyone is pleasantly surprised.

The warp core is destroyed! It's gonna take a miracle to fix it. I need at least four hours. (whistles, puts his feet up on the console, fixes tea)

20 minutes later, Captain, I've got the warp core fixed, but she's not 100%. (actually is 100%)

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
No, you were doing the trick. Lower everyone's expectations, so that when you overshoot them, everyone is pleasantly surprised. The warp core is destroyed! It's gonna take a miracle to fix it. I need at least four hours. (whistles, puts his feet up on the console, fixes tea) 20 minutes later, Captain, I've got the warp core fixed, but she's not 100%. (actually is 100%)
God, I'm so stupid. Don't know how I messed that up. Would Scotty changed planets, without a job lined up?

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
We moved across the country without jobs. I had three offers the first week; it took my wife two weeks to find a job. She's still at the same company after all these years. I guess we're stupid?
When was this? If it was a long time ago, obviously the cultural, economic, whatever climates are pretty different. I think today, things being what they are, housing and cost of living and insurance costing what it does, it would be pretty stupid just to move without at least having something partial lined up. In the past, though, it seems pretty common; I'm pretty sure my folks did the same thing back in the 70's.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
When was this? If it was a long time ago, obviously the cultural, economic, whatever climates are pretty different.

I think today, things being what they are, housing and cost of living and insurance costing what it does, it would be pretty stupid just to move without at least having something partial lined up.

In the past, though, it seems pretty common; I'm pretty sure my folks did the same thing back in the 70's.

It was in 1956.

Btw, you've internalized the scare tactics, i.e. cost of insurance prohibitive to moving. FYI, Obama made it so you only pay 35% for your COBRA (basically equal to or less the usual employee contribution. COBRA used to be 101%, as your former company was allowed to clear cost of administration).

I don't think the problem is finding a job, the problem is finding a job people find worthy of themselves or of equal level to your current position. I've never had a problem working a job below my desired goals. Friday night I was remembering how I used to work for a valet service, in undergrad, and yesterday, I was remember selling cars before returning to university.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Friday night I was remembering how I used to work for a valet service, in undergrad, and yesterday, I was remember selling cars before returning to university.
Are you sure you graduated from college?
laugh.gif

redcaimen

Bigtime
Reaction score
Lots of people in the trades do this. Also anyone who works at a menial job can easily find a similar replacement. Hundreds of thousands of people from south of the border do this every year.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
Are you sure you graduated from college?
laugh.gif

Again, I am stupid. Am also watching The Brotherhood, so these things happen.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads