• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do many people move to a new city without having a job lined up?

videogeek

Reaction score
I did it a couple of times in my late teens and 20's, it's no biggie when your standard of living is low.

I wouldn't dream of doing it now at 35. I'd have to have at least a minimum level of freelance work coming in.

catwchang

Reaction score
I just wrote an entry in my blog about moving to a new city without a job.

Here's the first part of it, please go to http://nowwhat.posterous.com/post-co...-new-city-with to read more about my experience/advice
smile.gif

November 16, 2009
Edit Delete Tag Autopost

Post College: Should I Move to a New City Without a Job?

If you are stuck in a college town located in the middle of nowhere with low local employment prospects, then I urge you to consider moving to another city after graduating. Like many other disoriented fresh grads, I had my reserves about leaving the familiarity of the place I called home for four years. It took me an entire summer of working part-time as a research assistant while looking for the real deal before I finally faced reality: The economic climate in Michigan was getting worse and the chances of finding meaningful full time employment were slim to none. And there it was...It was time to kiss those blissfully free college days good-bye and pack up.

Now that I've decided to leave, where should I go?

Forget about friends and family for now while you consider your next move. You will make new friends and you can always visit your family over the holidays. Allow yourself to picture the places you've always wanted to visit or live. You are young, and you are mobile. You aren't married, and you don't have kids. This is the time...

Read the rest at http://nowwhat.posterous.com/post-co...-new-city-with

tor

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
We moved across the country without jobs. I had three offers the first week; it took my wife two weeks to find a job. She's still at the same company after all these years.

I guess we're stupid?

...or the exception.

I don't think I'd ever just up and move without having at least some idea of where I could get a new job. That's seems to me the bad kind of risk.

lynchpatrickj

Reaction score
I moved to NoVA without a job; but then again, I had no skills or standard of living to speak of either (as others have mentioned), so it didn't make much difference one way or another.

If you've got friends or family to mooch off of while you get on your feet, the case makes itself.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Not me. No way.

Pennglock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Would not hesitate to do so. Then again, can't think of many reasons why I'd want to...

baseball_guy

Reaction score
I think it would be exciting to move to a new city and make new friends and try new things.

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
Must do. There's a bit of a fight or flight response that makes you get your **** in gear when you find yourself in such unforgiving circumstances. I went to Paris without a job lined and up during a semester off from school and spent two weeks in a hostel before I could secure a job making presentation models at an architecture firm in exchange for sushi lunches and 100 Euros a month. I got a room in an apartment with some ex-pats that were redecorating but didn't have time to finish the job by themselves so I helped out with that for free boarding for 7 months. I knew next to no French at the time. Every day was exciting. Thankfully Paris is forgiving in it's receptiveness to vagabond and frugal living. There's no reason not to try it if you're confident in what you can do.

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I graduate next month. I also live in one of the worst economic states in the country. I also live in a city where there isn't just little work for what I want to do (writing), but little work of any kind. We recently made Forbes' Top 10 list of poorest cities in America.

That said, relocating has been on my mind for a bit. I'd like to give New York a shot, but wouldn't do so unless I had some solid leads and had visited a couple more times to get a better feel for the city.

My brother and his wife live in Virginia right now, as do some other family. If I were to relocate, that would probably be my first and safest bet, since I'd have a pretty good support system there while I try to get acclimated to the area and find employment.

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by StephenHero
Must do. There's a bit of a fight or flight response that makes you get your **** in gear when you find yourself in such unforgiving circumstances. I went to Paris without a job lined and up during a semester off from school and spent two weeks in a hostel before I could secure a job making presentation models at an architecture firm in exchange for sushi lunches and 100 Euros a month. I got a room in an apartment with some ex-pats that were redecorating but didn't have time to finish the job by themselves so I helped out with that for free boarding for 7 months. I knew next to no French at the time. Every day was exciting. Thankfully Paris is forgiving in it's receptiveness to vagabond and frugal living. There's no reason not to try it if you're confident in what you can do.

This is another reason I've considered relocating. I've matured a lot from where I was three or so years ago. But at 24, I've still got quite a bit of growing up to do. That isn't to say I couldn't do that here, but I feel like I've relied too much on the safety net of my surroundings and haven't pushed myself as far as I know I can go.

x26

Reaction score
Originally Posted by crazyquik
So I ended up on the city-data forums, because I was looking for something, and then saw several threads of people which all sounded like this: "I used to live in ________, I moved here several months ago, and I still haven't found a job. I need help." Or something to that effect.

Is it really that common to pack up your life and move across the country, just because you heard the cost of living was lower or there were more jobs, without having anything lined up?

I visit City Data occasionally.
Whenever I read the posts there I loose all faith in humanity.
Seems the collective IQ is <65...
plain.gif

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
I did this after college (following a girl, now my wife), but I think that's pretty typical. I've been considering doing it for a while now (most likely to move to Vancouver BC), but I'm reluctant to give up my social and professional network. Maybe when I'm ready for a career change in a few years.

Davidko19

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did it 5 years after graduating from a ****** small school in indiana to los angeles. NOTHING lined up. 5k in cash in my pocket and what I could fit in my ****** car. Everyone now says it took balls to do and they are proud that I made etc... without whoring myself out. Of course, I worked **** jobs and my living standards were low, but Im better for it.

Originally Posted by baseball_guy
I think it would be exciting to move to a new city and make new friends and try new things.

More than a job. More than income. More than anything, this was THE hardest thing to do. Spent way to many nights at the bars by myself or sitting at home wondering how I went from being a big fish in a small sea to a nobody.

Originally Posted by Pennglock
Would not hesitate to do so. Then again, can't think of many reasons why I'd want to...

My thoughts exactly. Id do it again, but also love where Im at. At 22 I was young and dumb enough to do it. It takes me back to the song Against the Wind by Bob Seger.

heffy

Reaction score
i moved from Chicago to San Francisco about 3 years ago without a job.. at the time, I knew two things:

- the love of my life was in San Francisco
- I hated my life in Chicago

When I realized I needed to quit and move out here, I was so elated. It was like an epiphany. My whole life was back in the midwest (Indiana, to be precise). College friends, ALL of my family... every thing that made me who I am. But still, I was willing to take a risk for this girl.

It took me about 4 months to find a job, but I found a great one. During those 4 months, though, I went through bouts of depression since I wasn't able to find anything worthy. It was a huge risk, but I'm glad it worked itself out.

FYI - I'm no longer with the girl.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads