• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do it yourself waxed suede?

Souper

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anybody know how to wax suede? The one thread on this wasn't all that helpful. I have a cheap pair of suede boots I want to make more interesting. Before I ruin them, though, I was wondering if anyone's tried this before.

Perhaps it's as simple as applying polish to the suede and burnishing them to the desired effect. I was thinking of doing this, but decided not to go all in before I sought a second opinion.

erdawe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The knap texture of the suede is the best part...

I can't quite picture what it would look like, but I'd try a beeswax based product like Sno Seal or Bear Guard for the desired effect over a cream polish. You would have the added benefit of prolonging the life of the boot and effectively waterproofing it.

Souper

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was thinking it would look something like this;

blargh.png

Which isn't a terrible look.

erdawe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the look, like they just came out of a rainstorm.
Whatever you end up using I would think starting with a thin layer at a time, and build it up to the desired effect. Hopefully doing so would create a nice balance between waxed look and still not having enough gunk to avoid matting down the knap entirely. The mixing of the sniny smooth, wax effect with the opaque, haired suede seems like a great texture mix.

I'm actually starting to get inspired to do this do my desert boots... hmmm

erdawe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you get on it before I do, keep this thread updated. I'm gonna give this a serious shot in about two weeks from now when my time frees up. I'm lovin the idea...

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bump because I really want to try this with my cheap-y BR Desert Boots. Anyone else done DIY waxed/oiled suede? Please tell/ reccomend some tips to me.

hi-val

Reaction score
Linseed oil is also used for waxing. My suggestion is that you go to a craft store and buy a piece of suede and try things that before you potentially ruin a wearable pair of shoes.

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did anybody try this yet? I've got a pair of Aldens coming that I might like to do this on.

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty happy with the result on the BR boots but I purposefully wanted them to be kind of beat up/distressed looking. I'll post a pic tomorrow.

pharrow59

Reaction score
bump--i have a cheap pair of BR chukkas that i want to try this on.

erdawe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just applied some beeswax-based waterproofer to my bargain bin desert boots (black suede). I applied heavy enought to take away some of the nap, but didn't grease them in it. Let them dry, then took a light shoe brush to restore the nap a little bit haphazardly. Wore them around a handful of times and now they're looking good already. I actually am getting some use out of them again, great effect!

I think it would look better on dark colors, light colors like sand suede is too pronounced and would probably take away from the subtlety this effect adds to the texture of the shoe.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics