• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do iPods piss you off?

The Louche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can't stand the way everybody walks around with iPod earbuds jammed into their ears these days. I commute on the Metro (DC's subway) and it seems like 75% of the assholes on the train in the morning are listening to their iPod. I can't exactly put my finger on why this gives me heartburn, but it does. The thing is, it's not like I am some sort of anti-music whacko. Quite the opposite; I love music and am an ameture musician myself, having been proficient at 4 instruments and currently a 15 year drummer. Anyone else on board with me?

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yes, completely on board. I think second the the Walkman was invented the number of assholes in the world doubled.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Don't hate the iPod, hate the DB. I love my iPod, both hooked up to my vehicle's stereo and at home plugged into my living room or kitchen sound system.

On board with the DBs and the ear buds all the time though.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not as much as shiny wool

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It doesn't bother me, but I'm one of those people who has my earbuds in when I'm traveling alone. I don't mean for this to sound snarky, but what would you prefer they be doing? I mean, would it make them somehow less annoying if they were sitting on the train in silence?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MrG
It doesn't bother me, but I'm one of those people who has my earbuds in when I'm traveling alone. I don't mean for this to sound snarky, but what would you prefer they be doing? I mean, would it make them somehow less annoying if they were sitting on the train in silence?

No mass transit where I'm at, but this wouldn't bother me. It's more the ones that always walk up to the counter and when the cashier talks to them, they have to say, "Wait a minute, iPod is on," and then have to hold up the line while they pull out the ear bud or turn the Pod off. I mean, really? You've never talked to the cashier before and couldn't anticipate you need to not have the Pod cranked up in your ears?

dv3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by The Louche
I can't stand the way everybody walks around with iPod earbuds jammed into their ears these days. I commute on the Metro (DC's subway) and it seems like 75% of the assholes on the train in the morning are listening to their iPod. I can't exactly put my finger on why this gives me heartburn, but it does. The thing is, it's not like I am some sort of anti-music whacko. Quite the opposite; I love music and am an ameture musician myself, having been proficient at 4 instruments and currently a 15 year drummer. Anyone else on board with me?

Ditto. I even ride the Metro! I don't know why people now have to be listening to music every f*#&ing second of the day. Gotta have my ipod, gotta have my ipod, gotta listen to the Shins!

I also have an iPod, but never wear my iPod to work nor do I ever exercise with my ipod. I won't claim to make the best use of my ipod, but I do use my ipod and I like it. iPod.

mrkleen

Reaction score
Originally Posted by The Louche

I don't get your point.

Are these people blocking the doors making it hard for you to get off the train? Are they singing to the music or otherwise invading your right to a quiet train ride home? Are they hot women that you are trying to strike up a conversation with, but cant?

If it is one of the above, then I can see your point. But if you just don't "like" that many people are blocking out the outside world to listen to music or podcasts - I say tough ****. I have plenty of friends already, I don't need to talk to people on the T.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This seriously bothers you guys?

kentukblue

Reaction score
In a word....Yes. I live in podunk Kentucky and the iphone has just hit the over 50 crowd of rednecks around here. Its just something about a john deere camo iphone case that sets uneasy.

I heard a 50 year old woman at the local supermarket explain how she heard that you could blow into your iphone and check your blood alcohol levels.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teacher
This seriously bothers you guys?

+1.
confused.gif

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
No mass transit where I'm at, but this wouldn't bother me. It's more the ones that always walk up to the counter and when the cashier talks to them, they have to say, "Wait a minute, iPod is on," and then have to hold up the line while they pull out the ear bud or turn the Pod off. I mean, really? You've never talked to the cashier before and couldn't anticipate you need to not have the Pod cranked up in your ears?

On this I agree. I have the same objection to people who talk on the phone while dealing with others. I have nothing against technology, but it's not a license to ignore common courtesy. It's really not that hard to disconnect for a moment in order to treat others like actual human beings.

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Back when I rode the train, I always listened to music in the morning. Partly because I'm still half asleep and loud noises, shouting, screeching train wheels and the constant announcements would disturb my slumber, partly because otherwise I was a ripe target for accosting by any random drunk bum, religious nut, etc. In the mornings at least, I needed to be separated from the rest of the world.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
What's pissing me off about my ipod is that the battery life is down to 90 minutes at a stretch. If I forget to charge it the night prior, it dies during my morning run, and I can't have that happen!

rjacobs

Reaction score
solution for OP: look at them in the eye and say really loudly, "WHAT ARE YOU LISTENING TO?" problem solved, and if desired, conversation started.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads