• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do I want some white trousers?

Vizard

Reaction score
I am not in the navy, nor am I planning a remake of Saturday Night Fever, but I think I want some white trousers for the summer.

I ordered a new blazer in flat navy last week and am thinking of adding some to my order.

Or is it folly? I have been quite lucky with white shorts in the past, but they have been easy to put in the washer. I do wonder whether keeping white trousers clean would bankrupt me.

So, yay or nay? White trousers?

Keith Taylor

Reaction score
Wear whatever makes you feel happy, but personally I’m of the belief that something cream (ivory, off white, whatever you want to call it) is much more versatile than white in trousers. Aside from the cleanliness issue - blinding white will be less forgiving than cream for mild dirt - you’re probably limited to the sunniest of days to really pull it off, whereas cream works pretty well on overcast days.

If you’re dead set on white, though, linen might be your best option as you can usually just throw it in the wash. Heavyweight, so your underwear isn’t on display :p

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was one to poo-poo white trousers for the longest time. Then a few years ago I decided to get a pair.

I purchased a pair of white cotton trousers from UniQlo. I figured if I didn’t like it, at least it would be a huge investment. To me surprise, they are quite versatile and on warmer, humid evenings when you want to look presentable, a good option.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have several pairs of white trousers - one pair of PRL chinos, a looser linen pair and one really heavyweight denim pair that is cut like old naval trousers, which have to be worn with great care (and not in a CM context)! But I wear them all. They look good and feel good. You just have to accept that they will get dirty and need regular dry-cleaning.

JJ Katz

Reaction score
I agree that cream works better than pure white.
If you want white, it really looks best on a sunny day. Not great at night

Ebitdaddy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A lighter cream/ivory makes more sense to me.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As with many aspects of menswear, context is everything.

I have white 501s and slightly off white Levi’s MandC jeans which get worn year round more than any of my boring indigo bluejeans.

I have winter weight off-white RLP flannels which get worn with a brick red flannel cashmere and wool blazer.

And I have a few pairs of white or off white linen strides from the likes of Cubavera (in Macy’s) which I wear with polo shirts and driving mocs.

I wouldn’t be caught dead wearing any of the above in my native cold wet dank industrial north of England. As I live in Florida (currently 73 F and sunny) they get worn a lot.

Plan your outfit, plan your context and as the lad above says, plan your underwear. I got some light heather grey boxerbrief trunks from HandM - got to be one of the few brands out there which don’t expect free advertising with their name in large letters on the waistband - which remain invisible under light coloured strides.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads