Do I risk damage to my automatic watch by not using a watch winder?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by blank, Sep 27, 2012.

1. blank

blank Senior member

I have one automatic watch and one mechanical watch. Occasionally, both stop and need to be rewound. Do I risk damage to either through this process? Obviously, the mechanical watch is going to stop after any idle duration. But will I damage the automatic if this happens regularly?

Does a watch winder provide any preventative care, or just save me the inconvenience of having to re-set the watch once it stops?

2. Mute

Mute Senior member

No, it's not necessary. However, I would wind the watch up every once in a while if it's going to be sitting dormant for long periods of time.

3. hohneokc

hohneokc Senior member

I would say you don't need a winder unless you want the convenience of not having to reset your watch. You won't damage your automatic by winding - the only downside is if there is a screwdown crown, the water resistance will gradually be reduced by unwinding and winding the crown. But I would have the seals checked on a regular basis if I actually dived with the watch.

The only precaution I take is to make sure a watch gets wound (or gently shaken with the automatic) to make it run every month or so to keep the oils circulated. But if you have just the mechanical and the automatic, they probably get worn frequently enough to keep the oils circulated.

Chris

4. blank

blank Senior member

Thanks. The watches get split usage, so it sounds like it's unnecessary. I do not dive with the watch.

5. Patek

Patek Senior member

Highly recommended if your watch has any complications.

6. Macallan

Macallan Senior member

A winder is helpful but not needed; as mentioned, you can wind the automatic when not in use. The most important consideration would be the power reserves and your usage; however, from the first post, I would suggest getting a winder.