• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Do I need boots if I live in Toronto and there is hardly any snow?

iroh

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jan 26, 2008
Messages
1,339
Reaction score
61
So far the weather has been pretty tame here in Toronto. There is hardly any snow at all! I could just get by with my shoes, I was really looking forward to buying a brand new pair of Alden boots...should I still get a pair of boots, just for winter's sake? Do people even need to wear boots in Toronto? How are the rest of you Torontonians faring?

I was looking at this from a practical point of view, now how about getting a pair of boots just for the boot-wearing look. Is that a good idea?
 

Raoul Duke

Senior Member
Joined
May 8, 2008
Messages
975
Reaction score
2
Why do you need snow to wear boots? If you like boots, get boots.
 

MiniW

Distinguished Member
Joined
Aug 15, 2008
Messages
1,001
Reaction score
9
self doubt and boot wearing do not mix, I hope this answers your question.
 

tricky

Distinguished Member
Joined
Aug 15, 2008
Messages
4,838
Reaction score
3,829
You'll always need winter boots living in Toronto. We've just been lucky so far but think of every other year...you know it's coming. And if for some reason we really luck out this year, it'll come next year
 

arid

New Member
Joined
Dec 15, 2010
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Aldens are mighty expensive for snow boots.
 

droy

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 20, 2010
Messages
133
Reaction score
1
Yep, sorry to say it. Also, the snow can get pretty soupy at times in southern Ontario so I'd go for something on the waterproof end of the spectrum or get some overboots. Personally, I hate overboots so some decent boots are necessities anywhere besides Vancouver.

Just my 2 cents...
 

ktrp

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 22, 2010
Messages
447
Reaction score
10
This season hasn't started.

Its quite usual not to have much snow in december. Its more January/February that we get snow. Some years not so much. Some years more. Two years ago, in February I was having to shovel snow from my driveway into a garbage can to haul partway along the sidewalk and dump, because the piece of land between my driveway and my neighbours couldn't hold any more snow: it was a 7 foot knife edge of snow between us. That said, this is unusual - Toronto is NOT in the snow belt.

If you are downtown, they use snow melters on the sidewalks. The snow also doesn't build up, especially in the city. It snows, sits around a few days, melts. Repeat.

You should own a pair of snow boots, but you can get those at canadian tire or wherever. That means you're able to leave your home if a snow storm hits - which does happen now and then.

For general walking around, you need something that can handle light snow and a bit of slush - 95% of the time that's all you'll be facing. Indy's would no doubt work for that, but do you 'need' them? Of course you don't need them. But you knew that, right?

I'm cycling some blundstones I'm waiting to have die and some new Loake lace up boots this winter.
 

bellyhungry

Distinguished Member
Joined
Mar 18, 2010
Messages
1,932
Reaction score
165
How long have the OP lived in Toronto? And where did he live before?
 

Marcellionheart

Senior Member
Joined
May 6, 2010
Messages
674
Reaction score
19
Originally Posted by ktrp
This season hasn't started. Its quite usual not to have much snow in december. Its more January/February that we get snow. Some years not so much. Some years more. Two years ago, in February I was having to shovel snow from my driveway into a garbage can to haul partway along the sidewalk and dump, because the piece of land between my driveway and my neighbours couldn't hold any more snow: it was a 7 foot knife edge of snow between us. That said, this is unusual - Toronto is NOT in the snow belt. If you are downtown, they use snow melters on the sidewalks. The snow also doesn't build up, especially in the city. It snows, sits around a few days, melts. Repeat. You should own a pair of snow boots, but you can get those at canadian tire or wherever. That means you're able to leave your home if a snow storm hits - which does happen now and then. For general walking around, you need something that can handle light snow and a bit of slush - 95% of the time that's all you'll be facing. Indy's would no doubt work for that, but do you 'need' them? Of course you don't need them. But you knew that, right? I'm cycling some blundstones I'm waiting to have die and some new Loake lace up boots this winter.
I got some new Loake lace up boots this winter to wear here in Toronto (which I'm also going to be rotating with an MTO Trickers Malton when it gets here). They're holding up brilliantly, tbh, and were worth it even though the leather isn't the best quality.
 

ktrp

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 22, 2010
Messages
447
Reaction score
10
Originally Posted by Marcellionheart
I got some new Loake lace up boots this winter to wear here in Toronto (which I'm also going to be rotating with an MTO Trickers Malton when it gets here). They're holding up brilliantly, tbh, and were worth it even though the leather isn't the best quality.

If they were nicer/more expensive, it would pain me to walk through slush in them. I'm trying to brush them off nightly, do a full cream/polish/polish weekly, and see how they hold up. But if the salt gets them, I won't be destroyed.
 

Marcellionheart

Senior Member
Joined
May 6, 2010
Messages
674
Reaction score
19
Originally Posted by ktrp
If they were nicer/more expensive, it would pain me to walk through slush in them. I'm trying to brush them off nightly, do a full cream/polish/polish weekly, and see how they hold up. But if the salt gets them, I won't be destroyed.

Have you got the Burford's or the Bedales? I've the Bedales since I have pretty wide feet and found that the slush downtown where I live rarely ever touches the leather since the Victory Sole is so thick. I haven't had any problems with salt and have been wearing them since the snow started falling in early December.
 

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

  • 1 - 4

    Votes: 10 3.6%
  • 5 - 10

    Votes: 42 15.3%
  • 11 - 20

    Votes: 86 31.4%
  • 21 - 30

    Votes: 51 18.6%
  • 31 - 40

    Votes: 19 6.9%
  • 41 - 50

    Votes: 18 6.6%
  • 51 - 60

    Votes: 11 4.0%
  • 61 - 70

    Votes: 6 2.2%
  • 71 - 80

    Votes: 12 4.4%
  • 81 - 90

    Votes: 2 0.7%
  • 91 - 100

    Votes: 2 0.7%
  • 100+

    Votes: 15 5.5%

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
427,324
Messages
9,197,222
Members
193,159
Latest member
Darkishhaddock

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Top