• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do I need a high-back sofa for watching movies?

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I currently watch movies at my desk sitting in my desk chair. My girlfriend and I would like to get a sofa so we can sit together. All the sofas I've seen are fairly low-back, with no support for the head when leaned back. This strikes me as uncomfortable. After all, at a theater, all the seats have support for the head. I'm not able to push the sofa up against a wall as the room is too large. And yet I'm sure that all these sofas, bought by all these people, are quite commonly used for watching TV and movies. So perhaps it is not as uncomfortable as I think. It's hard to know whether I can tolerate it or not until I buy a sofa and move into my home, so I'm seeking input before making such a commitment. Still my ultimate plan remains to mount a TV above the bed.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The sofa in front of my TV is a Cassina Nest. It's very comfortable for sitting upright for hours, but since everyone's bodies are different, it's best if you can try out the couch you're interested in.
cassina_253_nest_piero_lissoni_28_b.jpg
The back comes up to perhaps the bottom of my shoulder blades. It's good to get a few small cushions, too. --Andre edit: I should add that movie theaters have head rests because you often are looking up. If your TV is at eye-level, then I don't think it's that big an issue.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Huh? Really? Your head gets tired when you are watching a movie? Because you have to hold it up?

What do you do the rest of the day? Do you wear a neck brace or something?

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Douglas
Huh? Really? Your head gets tired when you are watching a movie? Because you have to hold it up?

What do you do the rest of the day? Do you wear a neck brace or something?

I believe he is a gravel driveway inspector, so looking up is a big switch.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
I believe he is a gravel driveway inspector, so looking up is a big switch.

oh god not you too now

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
home-lazboy.jpg
"**** yea..."

NYCTVWriter

Reaction score
You do.

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely adore the clean lines of the midcentury modern sofas (Knoll in particular). I'm old enough to remember when they were in style the first time around, and nowadays we see them everywhere (perhaps thanks in part to Mad Men?).

Unfortunately, these low-backed sofas, fabulously stylish as they are, are more appropriate for office or "sitting room" settings; they're great for sitting upright and chatting, but there is no way you'd feel comfortable *lounging* in them in your living room for hours at a time. Worse, because they have a slight backwards tilt, when you put your feet up on a hassock, your body is naturally inclined to want to pitch back, but because there's no upper back, neck, or head support, you'll find yourself fighting gravity, trying to compensate by pitching your head forward (maybe even crossing your arms to give your upper body more leverage).

Contorting your body into this awkward "C" position will ultimately kill your spine. Not right away, but over time -- even just a half-hour a day, every day for a year -- you'll start finding your posture will be slacking, you'll develop that "hump" neck, and eventually you'll suffer pinched nerves, if not worse.

Yes, I learned this the hard way. I'm in the process of correcting it all with twice a week visits to the chiropractor. It's been a high price for high fashion.

You don't need to get one of those dreadful La-Z-Boys, but you DO need to find a sofa that comes at least halfway up the back of your head.

Good luck.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads