• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do I look try-hard/ toolish? Pic inside

Forkit

Reaction score
n28128392_40259368_5812.jpg

-Zara shirt
-Zellers tie
-Gucci belt
-7FAM jeans

What are you thoughts? Do I look try-hard?? Thanks!!

Fade to Black

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yeah it's a bit paradoxical...on one hand, what Uncontrol says is right. on the other, i am getting a bit of try-hard vibe; the top and bottom don't mesh and there's a bit too much going on. The effortlessly sloppy (e.g. Julian Schnabel, Johnny Depp) look is harder to pull off correctly than a proper and tidy one, so often times it's better to go with a safer option until you're more comfortable with your style and what you like.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
That color shirt doesn't complement your skin tone very well, because you're a ginger. You need to wear a shirt that fits your arms better, the cuffs look too big and crumpled. Your vest also goes up too high, look for a lower cut vest.

Forkit

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Uncontrol
If anything, you didn't try hard enough. Fix your tie, collar and sleeves.

How can I fix my tie and collar? Also, should I keep my sleeves unrolled? Thanks!

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
Eep
White/Black/Bright Red = too much contrast. Vest with jeans = hard to pull off. Weird tucking / untucking / messed up thing. Honestly, anytime you have that much colour contrast and a vest (not to mention a big Gucci belt buckle and what I can only assume are the typical overbranded back pocket stitched 7s) you're basically screaming "LOOK AT ME!!" ... and that's always going to come across as a bit try-hardish.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Its just not a good color combination because each item has such stark contrast to the others. It makes it look, thrown together. This might be more successful, for example, if the vest were gray and you had a dark gray or navy tie and white or blue shirt.

Forkit

Reaction score
Thanks guys for your constructive comments! Would wearing this become a major inprovement??

P080128000244.jpg

I will not be wearing sunglasses fyi.

Fade to Black

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
well to be honest it doesn't look AS bad as many of you are putting it. I wouldn't classify as 'awful,' it's just a regular looking outfit. It's better than a good 80% of what i saw in my college days, at least he put some thought into his dress.

i think the rolled up sleeves are fine. i like that look.

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tin knot is too loose/big, poorly done, Collar is everywhere at once, Shirt needs to be tucked in, and above

raiderbuck

Reaction score
Not a fan of the white tie. Is that a full windsor knot? I think if you are going to go for the loose knot look you need a loose slim FIH knot with a slim collar on the shirt.

And I also agree with the stark contrast critique. You have a lot of bold colors going on there. Mix it up with some patterns or textures or something. And either tuck, or don't tuck...not both.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics