Do I look dumb?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Lauren Tanner, Jul 28, 2011.

1. Lauren Tanner

Lauren Tanner New Member

I'm trying the Sperrys and Polo look (I'm from bodybuilding.com)

I know the fit isn't perfect, but I'm going to be gaining/losing weight a lot + growing in general since i'm 16... so it's never going to be great.

Sorry for the low quality pics. Took on my phone and they suck

Anyway... Do I look dumb?

http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/8093/83157431.jpg
    http://img846.imageshack.us/img846/606/56913287.jpg
    http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/1105/91630454.jpg
    http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/1204/29674431.jpg

Willing to take suggestions on what else to add to wardrobe

Today there was a really good sale so I picked up ~8 polos and 4 or so shorts. (these are just a few things I put together quickly) Gonna go back and get some more non-collared shirts.

thank you

edit:

and disregard facebook name and pic... it's a long story :D

Last edited: Jul 28, 2011

2. Hollywars

Hollywars Senior member

I like the fits that don't involve polo shirts, I think polo shirts + not peak fitness = moobs for the most part. Keep looking around the forum, look at the WAWYTs, the ask question threads, and the I have a jean thread.

3. ceoceo

ceoceo Senior member

4. Lauren Tanner

Lauren Tanner New Member

Alright will do. Not sure if you guys can get where I am coming from, but I'm 16 and I am just interested in looking better than your average kid... not model status. Hopefully everyone can understand at this point in my life fashion isn't the most important aspect, but I am willing to work on improving it. This is actually a step up from the ugly graphic tshirts, etc. that I was previously wearing. Thanks for the tips

Expected this

5. brad-t

brad-t Bae Blade

6. Dbear

Dbear Senior member

7. theyperch

theyperch Member

Well yes, you do look dumb. I guess since no one else is helping you, check out the WAYWT thread to find out how something should fit. Learn what fits you before burning all your money on mall brands.

8. MIKE_JE

MIKE_JE Senior member

I agree with Uncontrol, you're 16 so nobody will care.

That said, hit the WAYWT threads and learn a bit. Avoid the mall.

9. matt22616

matt22616 Senior member

Nah dude you look fine. The fit on the shirts and shorts looked perfectly acceptable to me. Polo shirts will never really fit perfectly (that is, if you don't spend $200+ on them), so just get ones that fit you in the shoulders and chest. A little bagginess is to be expected, but I've found Lacoste brand is cut slimmer in the waist than most others.

That being said, when I was your age (not too long ago really) I started to wear button-downs almost all the time. Buy ones with your correct neck and arm measurements and then take them to a competent tailor to have them tapered in the sleeves and body. There is no avoiding this if you want to look better than the vast majority of your peers, so just accept the delayed gratification of buying a shirt only to wash it once and then send it straight to the tailor as part of your life. Get some nice belts, tuck in the shirt, and roll up your sleeves. This is the precious middle-ground in high school of distinguishing yourself as well-dressed while not being considered a douche.

Boat shoes and penny loafers are perfect. Fresh kicks too.

EDIT: Orange polo is definitely too big. Short sleeve button-down is the best fit.

10. brad-t

brad-t Bae Blade

You are incorrect.

11. dtmt

dtmt Senior member

As I'm sure you've noticed by now, everyone on this board seems to have a huge chip on their shoulder, and usually aren't friendly or helpful at all. If you're looking for quality clothing advice I suggest you go to: http://boards.4chan.org/fa/

12. dustin_hisle1

dustin_hisle1 Active Member

It looks fine man. It's kind of the preppy looking. It is also a classic look. I'm in college and still dress that way. Just no cargo shorts or affliction shirts.

13. willpower

willpower Senior member

Perhaps some of your shirts could fit a bit better but you're still in the growing phase, so what might fit today might not fit tomorrow, and vice-versa.

People are far too busy thinking about themselves to give your appearance more than a cursory glance. You're on an average person's radar for about 1-2 seconds, then they're back to the chatter in their heads. So don't sweat it, because nobody is giving you much thought.

14. dmash

dmash Senior member

Great advice, definitely.