• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do I have to buy a different type of suit for Summer?

g2ney

Reaction score
Hi guys, I am new to this forum and learning so many things here!
I want to ask something here and that is do I get a different type of suit for the Summer?
In my situation, I will be doing the internship on May to August in the next year.
I might do the internship in Seoul, Korea, or Chicago, Indianapolis, New York, etc., where it is extremely hot in the Summer.
I am planning to buy J.Crew's ludlow suit (my first suit), something like this:http://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/suiting/italianwoolsuiting/PRDOVR~28130/28130.jsp
but am I okay to wear something like called Summer Suits? that are made in different fabric? (I assume cotton?)
I would greatly appreciated your advice here.
Thank you and stay in cool

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That suit would probably be too hot for warmer climates.

saiyar1

Reaction score
No you don't HAVE to buy a suit for summer. In fact you should NOT. Don't stand out in any way.

g2ney

Reaction score
I don't wear suits in the summer? Just a shirt, a pants, and a tie?

SandWigga

Reaction score
For more formal dress in the summer I personally like to wear a white or tan linen (or linen/silk) blazer, with blue, pink or tan shirt, khaki pants and tan or cordovan oxfords, but then again I work a job where I can wear whatever the **** I want and I don't give two ***** about what anyone else thinks of my attire besides me. But generally if you're looking for summer weight suits then a light-colored linen or linen/silk or seersucker suit is the way to go, just keep in mind it will get wrinkled and that's part of the look.

saiyar1

Reaction score
What industry are you in?

Depending on the formality, even if it's super hot the cream colored non wool suits could be totally inappropriate for an intern.

g2ney

Reaction score
Finance.
What color would you recommend for the summer? Still grey, navy, charcoal?

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Na, go for a light grey if this is your first suit, look for 8-10 oz cloth

CrAz3D

Reaction score
If your internship requires business dress, I'd suggest all the basic suits (charcoal, navy, dark grey, light grey)

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Buy a lightweight wool suit. Obviously you would not want flannel.

You can also buy lightweight wool suits with mohair, which keeps the suit crisper in the heat. Look inside the garment tag. Like this one I have for sale at the moment

IMG_1858.jpg

Last edited:

saiyar1

Reaction score
I wouldnt dare wear some cream colored summer suit as an intern. At least, they'll make fun of you (to your face or behind your back) or at worst, they think you're more concerned with fashion than the job. If you sweat, you sweat... It's not like you magically won't sweat in linen on a hot summer day.... Focus on getting an offer.

Lord Mulberry

Reaction score
The only thing I change in summer is the weight of the cloth.

Last edited:

realkingo

Reaction score
It's an older thread, but I have some question regarding summer suits:

1)For mohair/wool blend suits, is it better to have a higher mohair-wool-ratio the warmer it gets? (e.g. spring:20%mohair 80%wool; for summer 40%mohair,60%wool,)? Or is it the other way around?
2)Are mohair/wool, silk/wool and silk/wool/linen blends considered as conservative enough (working in banking or finance)?
3)Any other fabric or general advise regarding suits in tropical heat with high humidity for very formal work environments?

Thank you in advance,

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads