• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do girls actually like the polo w/ popped collar look?

phxlawstudent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has any insight on this. The trend seems to have staying power, and while popping the collar keeps the sun off the neck, it's clearly a fashion thing to pop the collar. Someone must like it, or at least, not hate it.

What say you SF. Do the women you come across like the look? Hate it? Indifferent?

PorterInjax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can't help it, whenever I see a guy doing this my thought is always "..what a F'ing tool". The contempt factor increases exponentially if a sweater is tied across the shoulders with a flipped collar.

PorterInjax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kensington
Just wearing an RL polo alone makes me feel douchey sometimes. I don't get how those guys think that looks good.

Agreed. I still wear my very old and somewhat faded navy polo and a white one that is a bit tattered at the bottom. Both are great for beach, cocktails by the pool or backyard BBQ.
All others have been dropped off at Goodwill.

meso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've never thought to ask a woman about popped collars.

herzzreh

Reaction score
I've done it. I admit...
I've done when I really did need to keep sun off my neck.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

S-Town

Reaction score
It's not at all cool and I don't think the chicks truly like it, but it's a way to stand out. If everyone in a room has on a polo, the douche with the popped collar gets the looks. And once the girls have put on their beer goggles, the fact that he's different makes him "sexy". It's like in high school, when a foreign exchange student shows up. The dude is the biggest ******* dork in town, and is wearing America's hand-me-downs from a decade ago, but the simple fact that he talks different gets all the girls wet.

Mr. Sartorial

Reaction score
I think that there will be differences of opinion on this matter based on regional tastes, but here in Alberta Canada it is definitely not something women like at all. I've seen women start saying some guy must be a douche just because he had a popped collar and then avoided him. It's become a sociological indicator of doucheism.

coop86

Reaction score
I think the trend has been slowly dying for the past 3 years or so. I was at some UVA college bars over the weekend and don't think I even saw one, and UVA used to be the place where guys would wear 2 or 3 polos on top of each other and pop all the collars at once...

aaaeeeiiiooouuu

Reaction score
Please someone investigate this issue further

I need validation for I only wish to dress in a way which is pleasing to the average American woman

thank you

randomkoreandude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by coop86
I think the trend has been slowly dying for the past 3 years or so. I was at some UVA college bars over the weekend and don't think I even saw one, and UVA used to be the place where guys would wear 2 or 3 polos on top of each other and pop all the collars at once...

omg this is/was way worse. i remember when a&f had all of their models/mannequins with contrast colored multiple polos with the sleeves rolled and the collars popped
ffffuuuu.gif

lesamourai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by coop86

I still give my brother **** to this day for doing that. I don't think I'll stop any time soon either.

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PorterInjax
I can't help it, whenever I see a guy doing this my thought is always "..what a F'ing tool". The contempt factor increases exponentially if a sweater is tied across the shoulders with a flipped collar.

I've only seen is in 80's movies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads