• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do flush metal toe taps void Allen Edmonds' warranty?

wdkwang

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm interested in having flush metal toe taps installed in my several pairs of Allen Edmonds as my gait causes the toe tip of the sole wear out quickly. Based on my research, I see that the brand Lulu is the choice brand to use and it uses 9mm brass screws.

I emailed Allen Edmond's recrafting team about whether this voids their warranty, but the answer received can be summed up as maybe, maybe not. So I'm turning to this forum to ask for anyone who has had trouble getting their AE's recrafted after installing flush metal toe taps. Thank you.

For reference, picture of what I'm talking about in this link: https://i1.wp.com/www.theshoesnobblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/img0882sa.jpg

daizawaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just take them off, and sand the toe down, and send them in for refurbishment in the worst case - cat see how this small modification will have the maker turn you down...

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It surely depends upon what is wrong with the shoe which causes you to want send them back in the first place. If it is some where around the toe area, above or in the sole then I would expect you get short shrift - deservedly so.

To be honest I have never understood this American fascination with such things as these, its quite odd.

wdkwang

Reaction score
It surely depends upon what is wrong with the shoe which causes you to want send them back in the first place. If it is some where around the toe area, above or in the sole then I would expect you get short shrift - deservedly so.

To be honest I have never understood this American fascination with such things as these, its quite odd.

It's actually a European thing. The Lulu brand is French

Blake Stitched Blues

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yeah, those weird Americans and their odd obsession with not having the toes of their soles worn down. Whatever will they think of next?

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, those weird Americans and their odd obsession with not having the toes of their soles worn down. Whatever will they think of next?

These are certainly not in common usage in the UK and no one complains about shoes wearing prematurely. In rather more years that I can remember I have never experienced such an infelicity.

I will concede that British horses need them though.

BigBadBernard

Reaction score
as the warranty is not going to respond to wear and tear then the chances are that if the shoes show no obvious faults in construction you’re never going to be calling on it anyway, so you can feel free to install your tap dancing toe ends.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
LOL.

wdkwang

Reaction score
I appreciate the responses. After some more research and thought about it, i ordered a pack of Lulu flush metal tips. It is the opinion of some people that Allen Edmonds may be particular about this mod as the screws may cause permanent damage to the inseam/welt, so I'll see if doing a DIY with using Shoe Goo alone will hold the plate in place. If not, then i'll resort to DIY installing a flush piece of vibram sole in its place.

The reason for this is because my gait causes the toe area to wear the fastest and this is a preventative measure

Matt13

Reaction score
I appreciate the responses. After some more research and thought about it, i ordered a pack of Lulu flush metal tips. It is the opinion of some people that Allen Edmonds may be particular about this mod as the screws may cause permanent damage to the inseam/welt, so I'll see if doing a DIY with using Shoe Goo alone will hold the plate in place. If not, then i'll resort to DIY installing a flush piece of vibram sole in its place.

The reason for this is because my gait causes the toe area to wear the fastest and this is a preventative measure

You'll have to shave off a part of the outer sole for the metal tip to fit and sit properly. If you are talking about being able to have your shoes refurbished after they are worn out, flush metal tips (when installed properly, the welt should not be touched) will most likely not be a problem.

E.g. all my leather soled C&J shoes have lulu's installed, a service offered by the C&J retail stores. They do not make any sound and it's not an as uncommon sight as people make you want to believe...

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NairobiRaha