• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do Edward Green Top Drawer Shoes Fit Different Than EG RTW???

rebel222

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was browsing Leffot's blog today, and he made this statement:

Not only are T[op] D[rawer] shoes extremely elegant and finely crafted they fit the feet unlike any other EG ready to wear shoe.

The shoes he is referring to are made on the 888 last, not a custom last. Is there any reason that they would fit differently than the same size 888 last in EG's RTW line?

I don't see why the fit would be different, but I don't own any top drawer EGs to compare.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hyperbole.

It's advertisement, what do you expect?

Taxler

Reaction score
The beveled waist on TD makes the shoes fit differently.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
They have a slightly more pronounced waist and also the shoe trees that come with them have a higher and more asymmetric instep, which gives them slightly different contours. It was something I noticed while looking at the Brummel while at Leffot. I asked Steven if it was a new last. He kind of smirked because I was the only idiot that would notice something so subtle and he pulled out the tree and showed me the difference. I wouldn't be surprised if the last's arch and instep was different as are the trees. In my opinion it gives them more "G&G" like curves. This effect can be seen more pronounced in his pictures of the Brummel below:

http://blog.leffot.com/2010/11/09/ed...iversay-model/

rebel222

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by distinctive
Reaping the benefits of an attorney's salary already??
Ha. They're not paying me that well. Just curious at the moment. I do have a MTO on its way, however. So, from what everyone is saying, you could order your normal size in a standard last, and it may not fit how you are used to? The arch and instep may be different? I'm not sure if this is always a good thing.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think it difference is likely very small. Small enough that if it bothers you that much you should just get bespoke shoes.

I have seen top drawer shoes without the G&G style bevelled waists, however. I am sure EG can do the finishing without changing too much.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee_44106
Hyperbole.

You need to justify the 50%+ markup some how.

rebel222

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
I think it difference is likely very small. Small enough that if it bothers you that much you should just get bespoke shoes.

I have seen top drawer shoes without the G&G style bevelled waists, however. I am sure EG can do the finishing without changing too much.

It doesn't necessarily bother me. I was just curious. I'd imagine that if you can visually see the difference, then you must be able to feel it.

Also, if I understand the shoe making process correctly, which I have read quite a bit about, a fiddleback or beveled waist should not change the fit. The shoe still sits in the same last until the sole is completed, so there is no changing fit based on sole modifications.

rebel222

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee_44106
Hyperbole.

Originally Posted by teddieriley
You need to justify the 50%+ markup some how.

This was my initial thought; however, I think saying that a pair of shoes is more comfortable than another is going beyond sales puffery. That's like saying if you custom order the interior of your BMW, it will go faster.

jefferyd

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have needed to break in all of my EGs except my Brummells, which I was able to wear right out of the box. Not sure why, but there it is.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rebel222
This was my initial thought; however, I think saying that a pair of shoes is more comfortable than another is going beyond sales puffery. That's like saying if you custom order the interior of your BMW, it will go faster.

Except in this case you can :p. Strip it down to bare necessity and replace those too with nothing but carbon fibre = faster beamer. :p

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
EG TD's are made on the same lasts as the regular line. So yes, they fit the same.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads