Do Edward Green Top Drawer Shoes Fit Different Than EG RTW???

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by rebel222, Dec 21, 2010.

1. rebel222

rebel222 Senior member

I was browsing Leffot's blog today, and he made this statement:

The shoes he is referring to are made on the 888 last, not a custom last. Is there any reason that they would fit differently than the same size 888 last in EG's RTW line?

I don't see why the fit would be different, but I don't own any top drawer EGs to compare.

2. distinctive

distinctive Senior member

Perhaps they just mean they use the best of the best of materials which mold better to your feet...I don't know

Reaping the benefits of an attorney's salary already??

3. lee_44106

lee_44106 Senior member

Hyperbole.

It's advertisement, what do you expect?

4. Taxler

Taxler Senior member

The beveled waist on TD makes the shoes fit differently.

5. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

They have a slightly more pronounced waist and also the shoe trees that come with them have a higher and more asymmetric instep, which gives them slightly different contours. It was something I noticed while looking at the Brummel while at Leffot. I asked Steven if it was a new last. He kind of smirked because I was the only idiot that would notice something so subtle and he pulled out the tree and showed me the difference. I wouldn't be surprised if the last's arch and instep was different as are the trees. In my opinion it gives them more "G&G" like curves. This effect can be seen more pronounced in his pictures of the Brummel below:

http://blog.leffot.com/2010/11/09/ed...iversay-model/

6. rebel222

rebel222 Senior member

Reaping the benefits of an attorney's salary already??
    Ha. They're not paying me that well. Just curious at the moment. I do have a MTO on its way, however. So, from what everyone is saying, you could order your normal size in a standard last, and it may not fit how you are used to? The arch and instep may be different? I'm not sure if this is always a good thing.

7. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

I think it difference is likely very small. Small enough that if it bothers you that much you should just get bespoke shoes.

I have seen top drawer shoes without the G&G style bevelled waists, however. I am sure EG can do the finishing without changing too much.

8. teddieriley

teddieriley Senior member

Hyperbole.

You need to justify the 50%+ markup some how.

9. rebel222

rebel222 Senior member

I think it difference is likely very small. Small enough that if it bothers you that much you should just get bespoke shoes.

I have seen top drawer shoes without the G&G style bevelled waists, however. I am sure EG can do the finishing without changing too much.

It doesn't necessarily bother me. I was just curious. I'd imagine that if you can visually see the difference, then you must be able to feel it.

Also, if I understand the shoe making process correctly, which I have read quite a bit about, a fiddleback or beveled waist should not change the fit. The shoe still sits in the same last until the sole is completed, so there is no changing fit based on sole modifications.

10. rebel222

rebel222 Senior member

Hyperbole.

You need to justify the 50%+ markup some how.

This was my initial thought; however, I think saying that a pair of shoes is more comfortable than another is going beyond sales puffery. That's like saying if you custom order the interior of your BMW, it will go faster.

11. jefferyd

jefferyd Senior member Dubiously Honored

I have needed to break in all of my EGs except my Brummells, which I was able to wear right out of the box. Not sure why, but there it is.

12. blahman

blahman Senior member

This was my initial thought; however, I think saying that a pair of shoes is more comfortable than another is going beyond sales puffery. That's like saying if you custom order the interior of your BMW, it will go faster.

Except in this case you can :p. Strip it down to bare necessity and replace those too with nothing but carbon fibre = faster beamer. :p

13. Eustace Tilley

Eustace Tilley Senior member

EG TD's are made on the same lasts as the regular line. So yes, they fit the same.

14. Son Of Saphir

Son Of Saphir Senior member

The beveled waist on TD makes the shoes fit differently.
    How so?

15. apropos

apropos Senior member

I have needed to break in all of my EGs except my Brummells, which I was able to wear right out of the box. Not sure why, but there it is.
    It is a little known fact that the most comfortable interlining for a shoe is shredded currency, preferably British pounds sterling.