• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do chelsea boots elastic bother you?

stuartSan

Reaction score
I'm kinda liking chelsea boots with slim jeans, and am thinking of buying a proper pair. The thing is, I'm not sure if I can dress it up because the elastic part of the boots seem to go down pretty low. So with dress pants that reach right at the ankle, that "gap" looks pretty obvious to me, and less sleek.

What do you guys think of that part of the boots, and dressing up in it?

phooi

Reaction score
I really enjoy my chelsea boots. Like Doc, I wear it with pretty everything except a suit. Haven't had the opportunity there yet but I don't see why not.

However, I think it completely depends on the boots. I have a pair of RM Williams and would not hesitate to dress it up or down.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JD_May
I wouldn't wear chelseas with a suit or anything, but it's borderline unnoticeable and certainly inoffensive.

Originally Posted by phooi
I wear it with pretty everything except a suit.

Interesting, among my shoes I wear a pair of chelseas most often with suits. A suede pair at that.

phooi

Reaction score
Originally Posted by whacked
Interesting, among my shoes I wear a pair of chelseas most often with suits. A suede pair at that.

I almost never wear a suit so just never had the opportunity. I would wear my chelsea boots with a suit but I think it depends on the style. Obviously something dressy, yes... something more casual, no.

BTW, I also have a pair of suede chelseas that I wear quite often.

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
I don't want to say "never", because absolutes are few and far between when it comes to clothing for me, and fewer and farther when it comes to chelseas. However, chelseas (and honestly most boots in general) don't feel right to me paired with suits unless they're being worn extremely casually. I'm just more comfortable in bals.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
In "Diamonds Are Forever", Blofeld wears zippered Chelsea boots with his Mao suit.
worstvillain.jpg

errorspending

Reaction score
Do Chelsea boots really go with anything? ;-P
Sorry, that elastic drives me nuts...not sure why. to each their own

curzon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The elastic doesn't bother me. What does is the strap at the top of the boot that catches the pants' hem. This is especially the case for slim pants with a smaller leg opening. I've seen Chelseas w/ two straps; I surmise that one's pants are always getting caught on 'em. This would drive me batty.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads