1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Do cats go to heaven?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Kent Wang, Mar 20, 2006.

1. Kent Wang

Kent Wang Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Catso, the big Maine coon who adopted my grandparents one Thanksgiving, didn't need a posse. He succeeded in terrorizing the other neighborhood cats all on his own. He would steal their food. He also developed several sources of handouts in the neighborhood.
    This Catso sounds like quite the racketeer. Anyone remember Rescue Rangers, a kids cartoon from about ten years ago? The principal villain was Fat Cat and his mafia-like criminal organization. edit: Found some more info which you may be find interesting. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fat_Cat...cue_Rangers%29 [​IMG]

2. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

So Mats No Sue Seven?

3. RJman

RJman Senior member Dubiously Honored

4. Nantucket Red

Nantucket Red Senior member

This Catso sounds like quite the racketeer.

Catso appeared one Thanksgiving and was so impressed with the turkey handout he scored that he adopted my grandparents as their outdoor cat. During cold weather, a favorite activity of his was to sleep on the hood of whichever car had just come in from a drive and had the warmest engine. The cars got covered with his dirty pawprints.

We never learned where he came from or how old he was. The theory was that he had escaped from a car that passed through on I-95 or had run away from an abusive home. He had a mortal terror of brooms, which figured into the abuse theory. He was not afraid of every implement with a handle, however, and would often preside over gardening or construction projects around the yard.

One minor gardening project invloved planting a catnip plant. Subsequently, a miniature fence needed to be constructed to keep the catnip contained and to keep "Cat," as he was invariably called in tones of disapproval, from rolling over and crushing the adjacent flowers while he was getting wasted. Lord only knows what fantastic brutes he imagined hunting after a roll in that catnip bush, but he certainly pursued them with an acrobatic prowess that must have struck terror into their hearts if not killed them on the spot.

One of Catso's titles was "The Mighty Hunter." He was phenominal. He killed birds, mice, rabbits (not "bunnies" -- damnit), squirrels, and rats, which were the one thing he wouldn't deign to eat. Every once in a while, he'd get really introverted. That's when you knew he'd been bested by a racoon.

He performed some fairly amazing feats to apprehend these creatures. Once my sister-in-law rescued a bird from his clutches. No sooner had the dazed bird flown away and alighted in a nearby tree than Catso was up the tree and out on the limb with the bird in his mouth again.

I once found him lounging in the ivy and gave him a good petting, something he never turned down. While he was blissing out, a bird alighted a couple of meters away, and no sooner had I become aware of the fact than Catso was stolling away with the bird in his mouth. The speed with which he went from completely relaxed and oblivious to fully alert and active is something I've never witnessed before or since.

A few of us witnessed one of his hunting adventures that nearly cost him his pride. He was walking along the stockade fence between my grandparents' yard and the neighbor's, when he spied a bird in a bush on the neighbor's side of the fence. After spending a few moments of ritual stalking, in which he adjusted is stance slightly, he lunged headlong into the bush, only to find himself clinging for dear life, spread-eagle, to the swaying bush. The bird, meanwhile, had flown away with time to spare. After a few moments of panic, Catso recovered his wits, hooked a paw over the top of the fence and clambered back onto it. He then jumped down and started cleaning himself as if nothing had never happened.

So here's hoping Catso, "Good-Old Catso," "Catso the Mighty Hunter," "Catso the Dirty Loafer," "Cat," "Cat-oh," "Kittyboy," "Kitty-oh," to mention only a fraction of his titles and epithets, has gone to a heaven that is a spacious yard with penty of critters to hunt.

5. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

My cat is only 2 inches:

[​IMG]

6. shellshock

shellshock Senior member

[​IMG] [​IMG]

My cat is only 2 inches:

[​IMG] hello kitty

7. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] hello kitty
    How about: [​IMG]

8. faustian bargain

faustian bargain Senior member

my batdz maru is only 2 inches:
    [​IMG]

9. Kent Wang

I look to forward to the future where genetic engineering will allow us to produce better cats, ones that can purr extremely loudly, more luscious fur, new color patterns, maybe even baby tigers and lions that never grow up.

10. RJman

Impossible to improve on the RJ cat. Except to make him hypo-allergenic, without shaving him.

11. faustian bargain

faustian bargain Senior member

I look to forward to the future where genetic engineering will allow us to produce better cats, ones that can purr extremely loudly, more luscious fur, new color patterns, maybe even baby tigers and lions that never grow up.

i would like a cat that doesn't shit or pee.

12. chrysalid

chrysalid Senior member

i would like a cat that doesn't shit or pee.

our little skank ex-stray ghetto feline sprayed liquid shit in every room of the house a couple of days after bringing her home from the cat rescue place. she'd had a tough life though (rough part of the city, missing a front tooth, poverty related stunted growth, homeless, young mum, baby-father nowhere to be seen etc etc) and so lacked the social skill to prepare herself for polite company. ginny-cat (or little-fucker) has since gone through a pygmalion transformation, from urban to urbane. she does though occasionaly shit over the side of her litter tray though, just to let us know she hasn't completely forgotten her roots.

[​IMG]

13. RJman

Returning to the original post:

Do cats go to heaven?

I don't know, but I sure hope so, and that someday, through some sideways window in time, I can say more than those last goodbyes of this morning as he lay weak and helpless, and begged him to dream of happy things, like lobster, wet food, laundry, my sock drawer and sunbeams, and told him I'd never forget him.

My familiar, my security blanket, my ward, my link to sanity or to a particularly harmless insanity.

The RJ cat. 1992(?) - 2006.

May your rest be as deep, as sweet, as comfy as it was in life.

14. chrysalid

chrysalid Senior member

my commiserations.

(if i were religous i'd say 'Absolve Domine animas omnium fidelium defunctorum ab omno vinculo delictorum et gratia tua illis succurente mereantur evadere iudicium ultionis, et lucis æterne beatitudine perfrui.' - Forgive, O Lord, the souls of all the faithful departed from all the chains of their sins and may they deserve to avoid the judgment of revenge by your fostering grace, and enjoy the everlasting blessedness of light)

15. sybaritical

sybaritical Senior member

Now that is a good idea. Who was it said that if domestic cats where twice the size they'd be illegal?

16. JBZ

JBZ Senior member

Returning to the original post:

Do cats go to heaven?

I don't know, but I sure hope so, and that someday, through some sideways window in time, I can say more than those last goodbyes of this morning as he lay weak and helpless, and begged him to dream of happy things, like lobster, wet food, laundry, my sock drawer and sunbeams, and told him I'd never forget him.

My familiar, my security blanket, my ward, my link to sanity or to a particularly harmless insanity.

The RJ cat. 1992(?) - 2006.

May your rest be as deep, as sweet, as comfy as it was in life.

My condolences RJ.

17. Fabienne

Fabienne Senior member

RJman,

Que te dire ? Je tremble à l'idÃ[​IMG]e de retrouver les miens endormis à jamais, un matin. Une journÃ[​IMG]e bien triste. Je compatis.

Fabienne

18. Kent Wang

My condolences to you, RJ. I feel like I knew the RJ cat.

19. tommib

tommib Senior member

How about a Bengal cat? They're pretty damned cool. They behave a little bit more like a dog i.e. enjoying lots of attention, family life etc.

[​IMG]

20. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

I'm very sorry, RJman. But I tend to think that any creature that can bring us such joy in life will probably be waiting for us in the great beyond.