• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do Caruso suits tend to run a size large?

BrooklynWeGoHard

Reaction score
usually it is small for it's given size.

what are the measurements? perhaps i'd be interested in taking it off your hands.

spence

Reaction score
A 46/56 Caruso fits me like a regular 44 with perhaps a little more supression in the waist. If it's a 56 then probably about 47" in the chest? Compared to a US 46 that would be considered small.

Remember that there are no real rules when it comes to size. Sometimes stores will also adjust for a trim cut by marking the US size a size down rather than just subtracting 10 from the Euro size. That's why if you're off price shopping it's good to look all around and go by fit.

-spence

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What spence said, holds true for everything I have ever owned that is Caruso.

TC11201

Reaction score
Originally Posted by antirabbit
What spence said, holds true for everything I have ever owned that is Caruso.

+1 - Caruso (at least when they make it for Lanvin 15 faubourg) seems runs small in my experience. Maybe not a full size like Sartorio sometimes does, but certainly a tight version of whatever size is listed. Interestingly, the stuff they make for Barney's house label (with basted sleeves, etc.) seems to run slightly large. I have one e52L Caruso-made Lanvin which seems to fit more like a US 41 (and that sizing appears to be consistent with other 15 Faubourg stuff they make). When I tried on the Caruso for Barney's suits, however, a US42L felt more like a 43. Perhaps as someone else pointed out, it is a function of individual retailers compensating (or not) for perceived variations in sizing. My guess is that in this case, the Barney's sizing is the outlier and what they do for Lanvin is closer to the originally-intended sizing, but that's pure conjecture.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've got a Caruso for Adriano & Sons and I've tried on a Caruso for Caruso and both run small for their size (which I prefer).

From what I've heard, Caruso for RL Black Label also run small, too.

jasonsun

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TC11201
+1 - Caruso (at least when they make it for Lanvin 15 faubourg) seems runs small in my experience. Maybe not a full size like Sartorio sometimes does, but certainly a tight version of whatever size is listed. Interestingly, the stuff they make for Barney's house label (with basted sleeves, etc.) seems to run slightly large. I have one e52L Caruso-made Lanvin which seems to fit more like a US 41 (and that sizing appears to be consistent with other 15 Faubourg stuff they make). When I tried on the Caruso for Barney's suits, however, a US42L felt more like a 43. Perhaps as someone else pointed out, it is a function of individual retailers compensating (or not) for perceived variations in sizing. My guess is that in this case, the Barney's sizing is the outlier and what they do for Lanvin is closer to the originally-intended sizing, but that's pure conjecture.

I got a Caruso made for Barney and it ran smaller. I'm usually a 38S, but 40R was almost identical to my 38S.

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They do run long though...but not large....like in girth!

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by spence
A 46/56

An Italian 56 is supposed to be 112cm. Which the calculator tells me is 44". Multiply the Italian size by two to get cm. The rule of thumb saying to take 10 off works well with size 50 but gets worse the further away you get.

ThinkDerm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
as i said, caruso usually runs a size smaller, it's great for athletic/stocky/bulky/weightlifting US 42r's (i guess i fit that build) to size "up" to a 44r. kinda like 42r sizing "up" to an isaia 44r.

I list "up" in quotation marks because it doesnt really matter what the listed size is, just the cut which can be determined by measurements.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jasonsun
I got a Caruso made for Barney and it ran smaller. I'm usually a 38S, but 40R was almost identical to my 38S.

my experience also, I have to size up one size..

TC11201

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jasonsun

Not sure I can explain the difference, perhaps I was trying on mis-sized Caruso for Barneys (just to be sure, most Barney's house label suits are not Caruso-made and the other Barney's label stuff fits very differently than the stuff made by Caruso). Either way, as mentioned, I do think that Caruso's default is to run small...

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It had to have been mis-labeled, they are pretty slim cut no matter who they make for (except Zanella perhaps).
I am not sure if Ma&Co is different in slimness, but any identifiable Caruso label I have tried is always slim or sized small.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads