do canadians live with their parents well after college?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by ppllzz, Aug 9, 2008.

1. ppllzz

ppllzz Senior member

my gf has 5 or 6 cousins that all live with their parents

they all have jobs and are ~30 years old

they live in vancouver

is this normal, or at least common in vancouver/canada?

2. RJman

RJman Posse Member Dubiously Honored

LOL.

Some do. [​IMG]

3. A Canuker

A Canuker Senior member

I would think this is not the norm. I left/kicked/asked around the age of 16 so I do not have much knowledge of staying. I do have a friend who lives in the basement suite of his mom's house who is 30 and his brother lives in a suite on the same lot. I can see the one in the basement trying to raise a family there if it ever happened.

I think that in the right situation I guess it could be ok but it would never happen under my roof. It seems to set one up for lack of savings and spending of money on random items or so I have noticed.

I am not in Vancouver.

4. R-H

R-H Senior member

Look into the cost of living in Vancouver and you will see why they live with their parents.

5. GQgeek

GQgeek Senior member

Are they indian or asian? I've got a korean friend making over 100k a year and he lives with his uncle to save on rent. He told me a lot of asians do this. Indian people always live with their parents too, or so it seems. They will do this even after they get married (girl moves in with husband's family).

6. ppllzz

ppllzz Senior member

7. MCsommerreid

MCsommerreid Senior member

Also goes for very wealthy (I.E. compound livin'), many Mediterranean folks, many Middle Eastern folks, and basically everyone but pop-culture white-bread American.

Hell, some people never leave the family home, even when they are married. They take it over from their parents so it is the now retired parent living with the working "child".

8. jkennett

jkennett Senior member

east coast to west and back to east. currently res
    Quite a few of my friends in Dublin and London live with their parents up into their mid to late 20's. Cost of obviously a factor. I also know an Irish expat family in Vancouver that do similarly, and I figured it might just be because their from Dublin... I guess that's not the case.

9. micbain

micbain Senior member

30's is pushing it; however, I do know a lot of people who live at home until mid to late twenties (myself included!). Part of it is cost of living, but a lot has to do with cultural values - I think its far more common for Indians to live at home and to an extent Asians as well. Considering how multi-cultural Vancouver is, I'd say the rate of people living at home is much higher than other major cities.

10. RJman

Are they indian or asian? I've got a korean friend making over 100k a year and he lives with his uncle to save on rent. He told me a lot of asians do this. Indian people always live with their parents too, or so it seems. They will do this even after they get married (girl moves in with husband's family).
    Don't you live at home?

11. GQgeek

GQgeek Senior member

Don't you live at home?

People already know that (and why), although I know that you delight in pointing it out again. I've been on my own for years though and am only moving back for a fairly short amount of time. I won't still be there when I am 30. And I also wouldn't have moved back in with my mother, but my father is cool. And it's nice having dinner cooked for me most nights! I cook a couple times a week when i'm back at a reasonable hour.

12. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

In Six Feet Under, they all live at home!

13. RJman

People already know that (and why), although I know that you delight in pointing it out again. I've been on my own for years though and am only moving back for a fairly short amount of time. I won't still be there when I am 30. And I also wouldn't have moved back in with my mother, but my father is cool. And it's nice having dinner cooked for me most nights! I cook a couple times a week when i'm back at a reasonable hour.
    Did you get my PM? The bear poster is back!

14. Viktri

Viktri Senior member

As someone who lives in Vancouver and was recently determining his living location I would say it is normal.
    asian. i found an article that said ~30% of canadians 21-34 live with their parents, esp in vancouver and toronto b/c of cost of living, like r-h said question solved! http://www.sootoday.com/content/news...ryNumber=24013
    keep in mind that "not living at home" does not mean they paid for their own apartments/rent. Most people aged 20-28 did not pay for their apartment or do not pay for their rent.

15. leftover_salmon

leftover_salmon Senior member

I'd fucking kill myself if I still ived with my parents. I went away to college when I was 18, and while I like coming home to visit, I just can't stand having to eat whatever dinner is at 6:30pm every night and having my dad come knock on my door to say "Hi" four times a day.

By the time you're 30, you should have a job and enough money to live on your own. Hell, by the time you're 22 (unless you're in grad school).