• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do Balmorals need different lasts than Oxf/Derbys?

cocteau

Reaction score
Hi,

I found a shoemaker in Europe which makes shoes I like, cost is ok, but to high to order gadgets. So before I go there there´s a thing I´d like to know:
I would like to buy a standard Oxford or Derby for a start. But I´m really interested in getting a nice balmoral boot. Since I have to pay for the bespoke last I´d like to know if those shoes can be made on the same last or if for a boot I´d need another one? How about Loafers?

Plus (since I work in asia) If I bring a bespoke shoe with lasted trees to a shoemaker there (i.e. zees in HK) there, can they copy it in terms of making a shoe which fits the same? Or is it too hard and they will make one which looks the same but fits different?

cheers
cocteau

lithdoc

Reaction score
Balmoral = Oxford
Blucher = Derby

These are just American vs. British terms.

cocteau

Reaction score
I was speaking of balmoral boots, sorry not to have it pointed out clearly enough

Xenon

Reaction score
My understanding of a last is that it is designed to replicate the shape of the foot combined with a toe box design (including toe spring) at a given heel elevation.

As such I see no reason that it should change when going from one shoe design to another. However if you change toe shape and heel elevation when going from one shoe design to another you WILL ABSOLUTELY require a new last.

The question of balmoral(shoe) to a balmoral boot may depend, but a few makers advised me that they did not require the last to have a shaft. As such the boot will use the same last as the shoe.

It would be best however if the various makers on this forum would comment

The Shoe Snob

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
like xenon said, there is no real reason to 'need' to change to another last, it will really just be about preference. For instance, I have a last that is a little bit more tapered with a point like the one in my avatar that looks great for plain toe oxfords, but I would not make a boot out of it. I would prefer something a little bit more classic and round toed. But it is not necessary, it's just what I would prefer.

hope that helps.

Son Of Saphir

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cocteau
I´d like to know if those shoes can be made on the same last or if for a boot I´d need another one?
Balmoral boot and oxford shoe use two different lasts.
A oxford last can not be used for balmoral boot otherwise it risk being to small in leg area etc.
Leg measurement is important,
oxford last not take this crucial measurement into account.

How about Loafers?
Not sure with various bespoke makers,
but in general the loafer last different also.
Loafer last need to be made differently (in two parts) so pulling loafer off last doesn't stretch it out of shape.

Plus (since I work in asia) If I bring a bespoke shoe with lasted trees to a shoemaker there (i.e. zees in HK) there, can they copy it in terms of making a shoe which fits the same? Or is it too hard and they will make one which looks the same but fits different?

cheers
cocteau
Good question.
Me wonder that too.

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Son Of Saphir
Balmoral boot and oxford shoe use two different lasts.
A oxford last can not be used for balmoral boot otherwise it risk being to small in leg area etc.
Leg measurement is important,
oxford last not take this crucial measurement into account.

That is simply not right.

Some firms will add a "˜rider' to compensate for the different angle in the top elevation, others do not.

bootfitting.jpg

Picture from: http://carreducker.blogspot.com/

At this part of the boot the upper is no longer shaped by the form of the last and does not get hammered. Just look into the C&J or EG catalogues. 348 is used for shoes and boots so is 202 at EG.

With a pull-up boot it might be necessary to increase the height of the instep, to facilitate the foot "turning the corner". A factory might well use a different last for that job than the ones used for lace-up shoes. The bespoke maker is likely to adjust it with the adding-on method.

passlineII.jpg

Originally Posted by Handmadeshoes
For instance, I have a last that is a little bit more tapered with a point like the one in my avatar that looks great for plain toe oxfords, but I would not make a boot out of it. I would prefer something a little bit more classic and round toed.

There might be stylistic and aesthetic decisions why a boot would want a chunkier last shape, but also this can be adjusted. This is the advantage of a bespoke last, that it can be "˜fitted' for different styles of footwear, as long as heel height and toe spring remain the same.

Michael Ay329

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The loafer might require a slightly different last than the one used for the balmoral boot

Have your shoe maker build a test loafer shoe first to see if any fit or coverage areas come up.

Son Of Saphir

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bengal-stripe
That is simply not right.

Some firms will add a ‘rider’ to compensate for the different angle in the top elevation, others do not.

bootfitting.jpg

Picture from: http://carreducker.blogspot.com/

At this part of the boot the upper is no longer shaped by the form of the last and does not get hammered. Just look into the C&J or EG catalogues. 348 is used for shoes and boots so is 202 at EG.

With a pull-up boot it might be necessary to increase the height of the instep, to facilitate the foot “turning the corner”. A factory might well use a different last for that job than the ones used for lace-up shoes. The bespoke maker is likely to adjust it with the adding-on method.

Thankyou for that.
Never knew about the rider.

Just look into the C&J or EG catalogues. 348 is used for shoes and boots so is 202 at EG
Of course.
Was starting to think me might not have been entirely correct....more than one way to skin a cat, haha.

shoefan

Reaction score
Bengal Stripe is right -- no surprise there.

Also, when making a pattern for the balmoral boot upper, the back may be cut a bit different from the back of an oxford, so it sits a bit off the last at the top of the last, otherwise it might cut into the back of the foot a bit. Lasts for slip-on boots, like cowboy boots, etc, do typically have a higher cone in the front as well as other differences from shoe lasts.

Loafer lasts are definitely different from oxford lasts (or should be anyway)-- the shoe needs to grip the foot, since there are no laces. Therefore, typically, the profile of the side of the last is different, and the measurements will vary from those of a lace-up made for the same foot. However, I have heard it alleged that one London bespoke firm will sometime simply shorten a last by cutting off part of the heel for a loafer, but I don't know if this is true.

In the old days, there may have been distinct differences between an oxford last, a derby last, and a lace-up boot last, but I think those differences have been lost to time.

These were made on the same last [a monk is made on an oxford last, not a loafer last, because the presence of the buckle allows for adjustment]:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Jeeze how I hate the way image shack uploads look--every pair of shoes you posted, Shoefan, looks like a frog in ice.

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Off topic just a little... I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong (and we do have some usages that are different on this side of the pond) but "balmoral" does not equate to "oxford". The two terms are not automatically interchangeable.

An oxford is a "closed facing shoe...meaning that the vamp, usually (except saddle shoes), overlays the quarters and the facings. Yes, a balmoral is a a type of oxford...just as an Adelaide is a type of oxford. We don't call all oxfords Adelaides.

The balmoral has a "golosh" --the single piece that forms the vamp and quarters and wraps around or closes at the heel. Looking kind of like a pump with a top.

Probably neither here nor there but important in the world of shoemaking.

shoefan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DWFII
Jeeze how I hate the way image shack uploads look--every pair of shoes you posted, Shoefan, looks like a frog in ice.

Yeah, I don't know why that's happening?

Here are links to the pics in question:

http://img9.imageshack.us/i/3eyeletder0003.jpg/

http://img171.imageshack.us/i/balboots00013.jpg/

http://img263.imageshack.us/i/lancemonks0003.jpg/

and another try at the pics:

In the USA, for some reason, I've seen shoe companies refer to any oxford as a 'bal oxford' perhaps to distinguish it from other lace-ups styles (i.e. bluchers/derbies), which many Americans would also (incorrectly) call oxfords.

Axel Ferguson

Reaction score
FYI, Imageshack just doesn't play nice with styleforum anymore, so you need to find another image host if you want to post them as images.

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by shoefan
Yeah, I don't know why that's happening?
Still not working. Just send them to me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics