• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

SVS

Reaction score
I just picked up a pair of retail store ordered Allen Edmonds Delray (basic leather soled split toe bluchers). I choose to purchase at a retailer because I prefer to try on shoes. My feet measure to be a 10.5D, but I have typically preferred a 10.5E. Before placing the order, I tried on a pair in the exact size and style ordered. I would have typically taken the pair in stock, but they did not have them in the color I wanted. Since I don’t live in a major city, my best option for AE’s is a store with a trunk show and a very limited selection in stock.

The pair I tried on in the store was extremely comfortable from the start. Of course, I expect they have been somewhat broken in from being tried on. However, the pair I received is a little tight on the sides around and above the ball of my foot. Will these break in after wearing for a few days or should I return them for a wider size?

Clearly, I’m not going to return the shoes after wearing them for a few days so I’d like make the decision before trying to break the shoes in.

Link to the shoes if you are interested:

http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline...val=&Widthval=

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Which color and type of leather did you get? I ask because I have 3 pairs of AE calfskin shoes: Mora in black custom calf, Byron in chili, and Sanford in a chestnut-colored leather. The leather on the two brown shoes is noticeably softer than that of the black custom calf. Although not uncomfortable, it still feels like the Moras are still breaking in, after at least a dozen wears.

billiebob

Reaction score
Some of my sturdier leather shoes took months to break in. Even so, leather soles will never be as comfortable as sneakers or running shoes. The padding and shock absorption just isn't there.

In 20 or 30 wearings your feet will make an impression in the midsole, the upper will stretch where it needs to, and provided the shoes were the correct size to begin with, they should be plenty comfortable for walks several miles long. They will last a long time, but breaking in is hard work, perfect for weekends actually.

lpresq

Reaction score
No worries....they should conform after a few wearings. If not, consider having a cobbler stretch them or use an over the counter shoe stretch liquid. Although many are critical of the OTC shoe stretch products, I've never had a problem.

SVS

Reaction score
Originally Posted by binge
Which color and type of leather did you get? I ask because I have 3 pairs of AE calfskin shoes: Mora in black custom calf, Byron in chili, and Sanford in a chestnut-colored leather. The leather on the two brown shoes is noticeably softer than that of the black custom calf. Although not uncomfortable, it still feels like the Moras are still breaking in, after at least a dozen wears.

I choose "Brown Burnished Calf."

greekgeek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by binge

Interesting, if not all that suprising, but I have had the exact opposite experience with my black Moras. Like wearing soft slippers from day 1.

bluemax

Reaction score
Even so, leather soles will never be as comfortable as sneakers or running shoes.
I couldn't disagree more.

Yes they do and will break in, and conform to your feet, granted you got the right size. My first and only pair of AEs, now at about 40 wearings, are the most comfortable shoes I've ever worn. More comfortable than any sneakers I've had. Most days I wear them I forget I have anything on my feet, and that's how shoes should feel, in my opinion.

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bluemax
I couldn't disagree more.

Yes they do and will break in, and conform to your feet, granted you got the right size. My first and only pair of AEs, now at about 40 wearings, are the most comfortable shoes I've ever worn. More comfortable than any sneakers I've had. Most days I wear them I forget I have anything on my feet, and that's how shoes should feel, in my opinion.

I have found that my well broken in and cared for shoes with leather soles (when properly fitted) are amazingly comfortable. Not more so than my Nike Free Everyday's, but much more than the casual sneakers I used to wear.

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Two things:
1) AE Shoes can take a little while to conform to your foot, but they should. Wear the shoes indoors around the house on carpet for the first few wearings. Wear them for several hours and see how they feel. You should start to feel an improvement. If you don't, for goodness sakes return them. If I have the story right, you tried these on at a trunk show and the ones you got delivered did not fit the same way. This is not your problem it is theirs. Life is far too short for ill fitting shoes.
2) I completely agree that quality leather dress shoes are the most comfortable shoes I own.

Loose On The Lead

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SVS
However, the pair I received is a little tight on the sides around and above the ball of my foot. Will these break in after wearing for a few days or should I return them for a wider size?
At the ball of your foot, in a battle between the foot and the leather, the foot will win. I feel confident about that. I don't feel as confident about a battle between your toes and the leather, because your toes "give" pretty readily. On the other hand, depending on specifically where the tightness is, you may be able to solve the problem by stretching the shoe. That's what I had to do with one of my Lamberts. With my Delrays, the original fit was similar to what you describe, but the tightness around the toes was so borderline that I didn't bother with the stretching, and the shoes are comfortable now.

Grayland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I heard a story about a dirt poor Russian farmer who finally scraped up enough money to buy a new pair of shoes. He requested that they be 2 sizes too small. When asked why, he said, "My life is so hard, at least I'll be able to look forward to taking my shoes off each day."

iroh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, AE's do stretch.

To accelerate the process you can stretch them by spraying them lightly with a solution made of 3 parts water and 1 parts isopropyl alcohol and walking around in them for a couple of minutes.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I probably have more A-Es than most members of this forum. I have always bought only those that fit so well in the store that I felt I could walk out of there and keep going for three or four miles with no discomfort. I have never noticed any appreciable amount of stretching. I hope for the O.P.'s sake they do "break in." If not, as others have suggested, a cobbler may be able to stretch them to a comfortable fit.

I have never been a believer in buying shoes that don't fit well from the get-go on the premise that they will "break in." I am told, however, that some of the finest English shoes like John Lobb St. James are made to fit very tight initially and do require considerable breaking in.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads