Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Django Unchained

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Hannerhan, May 7, 2012.

1. Jackie Treehorn

Jackie Treehorn Senior member

QT films are pretty damned entertaining. I think people sometimes try to make more of them than they should, and this inevitably leads to a letdown. QT is all about providing an honest, no-bullshit, self-indulgent, fun time. You have to go into a Tarantino movie not just expecting shtick, and campy dialogue, and kitschy plotting, but reveling in it. Especially with the more recent films from, say, Kill Bill onward.

It's smart lowbrow, and people run afoul of it when they expect highbrow.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2012

2. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Senior member

Was not the biggest fan of Basterds nor Death Proof...entertaining enough for sure.

However I think QT thinks of his "art" as much more than just low brow, which irks me. Not saying they're terrible movies, I just can't get excited for them, usually. This however looks special.

3. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

Tarantino's a geek and a fanboy of a certain class of "low-brow" films and has stayed true to that influence through all his movies - it's just that his geekiness and enthusiasm makes one perceive that he thinks he's on a higher artistic plane. I don't think he does as much as other people think, but if your going to be a geek about it then you obviously see something higher or deeper in the subject than the majority of people.

4. Neo_Version 7

Neo_Version 7 Senior member

There certainly wasn't anything "fun" or "low-brow" about Reservoir Dogs or True Romance (two of his crowning achievements). The opening scene of Inglourious Basterds had a similar tone to those films but as we all later saw, it was not one carried throughout the entire movie.

But yes, his more recent films are still entertaining and the dialogue is often top-notch. Certainly one of the more interesting directors working today.

5. imatlas

imatlas Senior member

Can't stand Tarantino. His last ten years of output have all been derivative, self-indulgent crap, and this doesn't look to be any different.

:devil:

6. erictheobscure

erictheobscure Senior member

I'll go see this when it comes out, but I'm a bit dubious. I thought Tarantino had achieved something relatively special in Inglourious Bastards--a successful revenge comedy. (Special in the sense that a really long history leads us to expect that the revenger himself must be punished because revenge is satisfying but unacceptable.) But the Django trailer makes me fear that he's turning that success into a shtick.

7. javyn

javyn Senior member

I really want to be a Tarantino fan, I really do, but blah.

8. hoozah

hoozah Senior member

Really? Tarintino is great. Just look at the work he has put out. All cult classics. Kill bill vol's, pulp fiction, inglorious bastards, reservoir dogs and now django. He is one of the greatest directors of our time.

9. ExAngel

ExAngel Senior member

Mr Tarantino, You had my curiousity.. But now you have my attention.

10. Reggs

Reggs Senior member

DiCaprio is going to play my favorite character in this. I can tell already. You can see a lot of bravado for just a few lines. I love his cigarette and coconut holder. Where can I buy a coconut holder like that?

11. ExAngel

ExAngel Senior member

you'd have to have made $50million+ in 2011

12. Jackie Treehorn

Seriously.

My favorite shots in the trailer are the ones featuring him. Especially that first shot with the smile and the cigarette holder. You can tell he's going to ham this role up to just the appropriate degree, but no further.

13. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

[​IMG]

14. Jackie Treehorn

Lulz delivered, sir. Gracias.

15. Pennglock

Pennglock Senior member

Yawn. Another immature whiteboy revenge fantasy, Leo reprising Val Kilmer's Doc Holiday, and Jamie 'the assclown' Fox. This will go down as the film where Tarantino became completely irrelevant.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2012