1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Django Unchained

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Hannerhan, May 7, 2012.

1. Hannerhan

Hannerhan Senior member

I did a search but don't see another thread on this yet. Tarantino film that drops on Christmas Day, and I am probably more excited about this movie than anything since No Country For Old Men came out.

No trailer is out yet but there are a couple of pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I cannot wait.

1 person likes this.
  2. Matto ELITE

Matto ELITE Senior member

3. munchausen

munchausen Senior member

The pics are badass. IMO Tarantino hasn't made a truly bad film yet, and only one that I didn't love, so I'm really stoked for this one.

4. Hannerhan

Hannerhan Senior member

Agree. And he's always been a huge fan of spaghetti westerns, so hopefully he brings his A game for it. Plus it evidently takes an interesting look at slavery (similar to how he tackled the Nazi Germany)...so if that aspect isn't stupid, and with this cast thrown in, I don't see how there is even a possibility that this movie sucks. Hopefully it's epic.

5. Neo_Version 7

Neo_Version 7 Senior member

Hopefully, it won't be as corny as Inglourious Basterds.

6. Jackie Treehorn

Jackie Treehorn Senior member

You've always gotta be the contrarian. I thought Inglourious Basterds succeeded at precisely its ambitions, i.e., to be a little bit intentionally over the top and corny. I mean, with the movie's premise being what it was, there was no way he could have played it 100% straight and done justice to it. (Look, by comparison, at how Tom Cruise's Valkyrie failed. Not apples-to-apples, I realize, but Valkyrie is the closest analogue we have to a version of Inglourious Basterds that takes itself completely seriously).

7. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

It was supposed to be corny. It was a "kill Hitler fantasy" which, when people do daydream about such things, are by nature fantastical.

I look forward to this movie - one of the very few that I'd like to watch in the theater.

8. Hannerhan

Hannerhan Senior member

Trailer out:

This looks so incredible.
    :slayer:

9. kashmir

kashmir Senior member

lol is the guy at the end Django himself?!?

10. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Senior member

I have to say, I've NEVER been excited to watch a QT film, until now.

11. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Senior member Dubiously Honored

All of time and space, everything that ever was or
    This movie is going to be awesome. Can't wait.

12. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

Yeah it looks pretty good.

13. Neo_Version 7

Do want Christoph Waltz.

14. b1os

b1os Senior member

Very very awesome. Great actors, great director. What could possibly go wrong?

15. Jackie Treehorn

Awesome.

Also, Leo in Colonel Sanders facial hair = lulz + winrar

Last edited: Jun 7, 2012
  16. Jackie Treehorn

QT films are pretty damned entertaining. I think people sometimes try to make more of them than they should, and this inevitably leads to a letdown. QT is all about providing an honest, no-bullshit, self-indulgent, fun time. You have to go into a Tarantino movie not just expecting shtick, and campy dialogue, and kitschy plotting, but reveling in it. Especially with the more recent films from, say, Kill Bill onward.

It's smart lowbrow, and people run afoul of it when they expect highbrow.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  17. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Senior member

Was not the biggest fan of Basterds nor Death Proof...entertaining enough for sure.

However I think QT thinks of his "art" as much more than just low brow, which irks me. Not saying they're terrible movies, I just can't get excited for them, usually. This however looks special.

18. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

Tarantino's a geek and a fanboy of a certain class of "low-brow" films and has stayed true to that influence through all his movies - it's just that his geekiness and enthusiasm makes one perceive that he thinks he's on a higher artistic plane. I don't think he does as much as other people think, but if your going to be a geek about it then you obviously see something higher or deeper in the subject than the majority of people.

19. Neo_Version 7

There certainly wasn't anything "fun" or "low-brow" about Reservoir Dogs or True Romance (two of his crowning achievements). The opening scene of Inglourious Basterds had a similar tone to those films but as we all later saw, it was not one carried throughout the entire movie.

But yes, his more recent films are still entertaining and the dialogue is often top-notch. Certainly one of the more interesting directors working today.

20. imatlas

imatlas Senior member

Can't stand Tarantino. His last ten years of output have all been derivative, self-indulgent crap, and this doesn't look to be any different.

:devil: