• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DIY Wall Art and Decor

WoodyStylee

Reaction score
Thought this was pretty cool. Regular picture that was blown up at kinkos. I have a bunch of vintage Massachusetts liciense plates that my dad saved since the 60's, i'm thinking about doing something with those.

2090911290_35de723f22.jpg

randallr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How much did it cost to make that? I really like that.

Tangerz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by WoodyStylee
It's not mine, I found it on the web. I'd say go to a kinko's and see how much it would cost to blow up a print like that.

A cheaper alternative would be to print your own.

http://www.blockposters.com/

It really does depend on the quality of your printer (and of course, how well can you line it up), so... YMMV.

BrettChaotix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can't get that URL to open but Kinko's charges maybe $1.50 per page for color laser printouts, maybe around $3 a page to get it on high quality glossy paper. If you could just get the individual images setup and burn them to a CD, Kindo's would take care of the rest.

It's a cool idea! I'm thinking about what picture I'd use in my living room above the couch if I did this.

jagmqt

Reaction score
Heres another cool site i'm thinking about trying out. Blik wall decals. Bunch of cool designs, and you can even have them custom make your own.

http://whatisblik.com/

That's cool, too...those decals are much cheaper than I thought...

jag

spertia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Heres another cool site i'm thinking about trying out. Blik wall decals. Bunch of cool designs, and you can even have them custom make your own.

I have Blik decals on several walls in my house. I really like them.

JoeWoah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thought this was pretty cool. Regular picture that was blown up at kinkos. I have a bunch of vintage Massachusetts liciense plates that my dad saved since the 60's, i'm thinking about doing something with those.

2090911290_35de723f22.jpg

There is free software out there that will let you do this with any photo. Just define the overall size you want, pick the picture and the size of the paper you're using... voila. You can have it professionally printed or just do it yourself on your printer. Cheap and easy.

Another idea, custom motivational posters.

Caveat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There is a guy in Sweden who managed this:
bridge.jpg

With the help of these mounts:
thing.jpg

And these hooks:
wall.jpg

I had him send me the .dxf file to have the mounts made from sheet metal but I can't get anyone to make them for me:
tavelhll.jpg

I don't know if it is too small or complicated a project, or what. Nobody returns my calls after I send them the file. LOL. Anybody know a sheet metal guy?

Here are some other good examples of what you can do. I think the mounts are key though. That separates you from somebody with paper taped to the wall and you can light them all cool like he did and move them if you need to.

rasta9.jpg

rasta12.jpg

rasta11.jpg

rasta8.jpg

rasta7.jpg

rasta5.jpg

rasta4.jpg

rasta3.jpg

rasta2.jpg

rasta1.jpg

jagmqt

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Caveat
There is a guy in Sweden ...

I don't know if it is too small or complicated a project, or what. Nobody returns my calls after I send them the file. LOL. Anybody know a sheet metal guy?

I think you could replicate that way to hang pictures without special sheet metal mounts...at the very least, you could duplicate those mount with a more workable material...

Walmart has 8.5 x 11 document frames for $2.50, or online for cheaper. The face of the frame has very little visible edge, so the pictures piece together pretty well.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...ct_id=10404233

I actually used 9 of these to put together several pictures.

jag

yerfdog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tangerz
A cheaper alternative would be to print your own. http://www.blockposters.com/ It really does depend on the quality of your printer (and of course, how well can you line it up), so... YMMV.
In the same vein, there is http://homokaasu.org/rasterbator/ Despite the dumb name, it's not nsfw, it is similar to blockposters.com. It takes images and makes a PDF that lets you print it out onto multiple sheets of paper. The difference is that instead of just increasing the pixel size, it actually puts a filter over the image to create halftone dots, so that when you look closely it looks like a newspaper image in a kind of cool way instead of a super-pixellated blown up digital image look. I would use the downloadable program version, not the website version, because it gives you more options and has no image filesize restrictions.

Caveat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jagmqt
I think you could replicate that way to hang pictures without special sheet metal mounts...at the very least, you could duplicate those mount with a more workable material...

Walmart has 8.5 x 11 document frames for $2.50, or online for cheaper. The face of the frame has very little visible edge, so the pictures piece together pretty well.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...ct_id=10404233

I actually used 9 of these to put together several pictures.

jag

So you just pieced them together to try and make it look like a seamless image? I think the appeal of these is the gap between, and in the case of the bridge example, the depth from the wall. Can you post a pic of yours so I can see what it came out like? I suppose I could find a way to make those picture mounts hang out away from the wall...can't think of an easy way right now though.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads