DIY Sport Coat with pics

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by inlandisland, Oct 4, 2011.

1. inlandisland

inlandisland Senior member

I'm sure I'm stepping way beyond the realm of my ability, but since August I've been putting my spare time into my first attempt at making a sport coat. I am learning a lot in the process, but mainly developing an appreciation for the amounts of meticulous work and patience that are required.

I am at a stage where it made sense ot take a few pictures, so I thought I would share them and add to the thread as I make progress.

The shell is mainly done and the canvas is in. I have the facings cut, but still need to cut the rest of the lining, attatch them, and obviously set the sleeves.

If the pics below are small, clicking on them should open the large version...

Here is what the jacket looks like currently;
    [​IMG]
    Here you can see some of the second-rate pad stitching and taping I've done on the lapels:
    [​IMG]
    The interior of the jacket:
    [​IMG]
    The back of the underside of the collar:
    [​IMG]
    In this picture, you can see the layers of canvas, wool, and felt that make up the chest piece;
    [​IMG]

Here are some (bad self-) pics of how it is fitting so far:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'll return and post more pics when I make some significant progress. Thanks for viewing.

2. joshuadowen

joshuadowen Senior member

What sort of sewing background did you have before undertaking this project?

3. plei89

plei89 Senior member

Looking forward to seeing the progress!! :slayer:

4. Katamar13

Katamar13 Active Member

I'm also trying to teach myself to sew so this is relevant to my interests.

5. luk-cha

luk-cha Senior member Dubiously Honored

WOW looks pretty good

6. Sanguis Mortuum

Sanguis Mortuum Senior member

I would tell you to post this on the Cutter & Tailor Forum for some more in-depth feedback, but they have a rule about not making a coat before starting with trousers and vests. They do have good reasons for this, but there is also something to be said for jumping in the deep-end; I also made a coat as my first project before the rule was instated and, although the result was a bit dodgy and not quite wearable, I learnt an awful lot in the process.

I think you need to give the fronts a good press and pin the buttoning-point together so we can properly judge the fit, as well as taking pictures from the rear (and using a timer so you don't have to hold your arm up).

What have you used to interface the collar? It looks like you've used the same canvas as the chest; you should really be using stiff collar (duck) linen for the collar.

What system did you use to draft the pattern?

7. soccerdude

soccerdude Member

I am all for DIY, it takes a lot of time and effort but the money saved and the satisfaction of a job well done is all worth the effort. I do a lot of stuff around the house and yard such as building our back deck this summer and renovating our kitchen. It would take a different type of skill and patience I think to start making my own clothing but I think I would enjoy it. How did you get started?

8. inlandisland

inlandisland Senior member

I started doing my own alterations on RTW, then made a few pairs of pants. Started a couple of years ago.
    Thanks guys. I will not be doing step by step posts, but I will probably do one update when I get the facings/lining and and sleeves done, then another for the finishing details.
    Thanks - yeah I don't have permission to post in the C&T advanced apprentice forum yet because I'm a hobbyist and I skipped over waistcoats... I have to get back to them - we'll see if I've got the right stuff or not. Thanks for your tips - I will keep an eye out for the linen you suggest - My resources are somewhat limted due to where I live though. You're right, by the way, it is the same as the body canvas - it's Pellon hair canvas.
    It's worth a try. :)

9. NORE

NORE Senior member

10. MalfordOfLondon

MalfordOfLondon Senior member

+1. New plateau for DIY threads.

Where do we go from here? I'm thinking medical procedures.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2011

11. Leonel Dante

Leonel Dante Well-Known Member

I'm curious about the final result. Looking forward to see the enxt steps!

12. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Senior member

indeed.

13. Superfluous

Superfluous Senior member

lol, I'd just want to be able to cuff pants myself let alone this.

14. davesmith

davesmith Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

Quote:
    +1 i am really considering taking a sewing course. learning to hem a pair of pants would save me a lot of money

15. Benjamin E.

Benjamin E. Well-Known Member

While you've got a ways to go, you seem to have an idea of what's going on, which is more that I could say for myself. Coatmaking is not easy and I really admire your determination. A few bits of advice: you have the collar and lapel sewn wrong at the gorge; they should overlap like this: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2709/4257180203_98fd1cb03b_o.jpg (photo credit to jefferyd)
    Note how the lapel is on top of the collar. Also, padstitch the collar from the other side. I like how you've switched the direction of the stitching at the point of the lapel.
    Good luck and I look forward to seeing it as you progress!

Last edited: Oct 15, 2011