• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DIY sole repairs

jjl5000

Reaction score
I have often been underwhelmed by the results of repairs from my local cobblers. This frustration and my own exacting standards have led me to get hold of the materials necessary to undertake my own repairs to see just how difficult it is.

Now before I go any further, I would not consider doing my own repairs on an expensive pair of shoes. I have had the good fortune to 'practice' on several pairs of my friend's shoes who were happy to take the risk for some free repairs. Finally, I decided to replace a heel and add an additional half sole to a pair of my own Loakes:

Loakesole.jpg

LoakeHeel.jpg

Whilst I do not think I can compete with a quailty repairer, It was not too difficult to complete this task with only minimal experience and tools.

jjl5000

Reaction score
Originally Posted by stach
Good job!

Thanks... I wondered if other members do their own repairs as I have had great difficultly finding the materials (leather soles & particularly a supplier for the right type of glue).

It is worth highlighting there seems to be a plethora of goods available to the US market but even finding simple items such as edge dressing is difficult in the UK.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What types of tools did the repair require?

jjl5000

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tomasso
What types of tools did the repair require?

A knife...stanley knife as we call them in the UK (same in US?) a screwdriver for the metal segs & a sanding disc. That's it!

jmacak

Reaction score
Hi

Very nice work indeed.

This really appeals to my diy personality. I tend to like to fix things myself, e.g. minor clothes alterations, etc, but it does not seem that easy to find the supplies around here.

I'm still searching for a web retailer that caters to the amateur--the sites that I have seen thus far are for folks who know exactly what they need and what it is called.

Your success is nudging me forward.

cheers

joe in seattle

jjl5000

Reaction score
I'm afraid I can't help with a U.S. supplier as I'm based in the U.K.

Using the correct glue is critical and to an amateur like myself, understanding the veritable merits of each is a nightmare! The stuff seems to be manufactured in a vast number of variants with an equally vast number of uses.

Some glues will state they are suitable for leather bonding but they don't tell you if the bond will be strong enough to bond soles for example. I use a 'single part polyurethane cement' - fast drying (2-5 mins) and thinners are also essential to keep the pot of glue pliable once it's exposed to the atmosphere.

Hope this helps chaps. If anyone would like more information, feel free to ask.. I thought I might do a little write up with photos when I next embark on a repair if there is sufficient interest.

AlonzoMosely

Reaction score
I would love to see a more detailed write-up with pictures. Is the process the same for putting on a leather sole as for a rubber sole? (I might try converting one or two worn dress shoes to vibram soles for winter wear)

jjl5000

Reaction score
Originally Posted by AlonzoMosely
I would love to see a more detailed write-up with pictures. Is the process the same for putting on a leather sole as for a rubber sole? (I might try converting one or two worn dress shoes to vibram soles for winter wear)

Attaching a rubber sole is a lot easier as the thin rubber will easily flex around the convex surface of the leather sole.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads