1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

DIY sole repairs

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by jjl5000, Sep 23, 2006.

1. jjl5000

jjl5000 Senior member

I have often been underwhelmed by the results of repairs from my local cobblers. This frustration and my own exacting standards have led me to get hold of the materials necessary to undertake my own repairs to see just how difficult it is.

Now before I go any further, I would not consider doing my own repairs on an expensive pair of shoes. I have had the good fortune to 'practice' on several pairs of my friend's shoes who were happy to take the risk for some free repairs. Finally, I decided to replace a heel and add an additional half sole to a pair of my own Loakes:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Whilst I do not think I can compete with a quailty repairer, It was not too difficult to complete this task with only minimal experience and tools.

2. stach

stach Senior member

3. jjl5000

jjl5000 Senior member

Good job!

Thanks... I wondered if other members do their own repairs as I have had great difficultly finding the materials (leather soles & particularly a supplier for the right type of glue).

It is worth highlighting there seems to be a plethora of goods available to the US market but even finding simple items such as edge dressing is difficult in the UK.

4. Tomasso

Tomasso Senior member

What types of tools did the repair require?

5. jjl5000

jjl5000 Senior member

What types of tools did the repair require?

A knife...stanley knife as we call them in the UK (same in US?) a screwdriver for the metal segs & a sanding disc. That's it!

6. jmacak

jmacak Active Member

Hi

Very nice work indeed.

This really appeals to my diy personality. I tend to like to fix things myself, e.g. minor clothes alterations, etc, but it does not seem that easy to find the supplies around here.

I'm still searching for a web retailer that caters to the amateur--the sites that I have seen thus far are for folks who know exactly what they need and what it is called.

Your success is nudging me forward.

cheers

joe in seattle

7. Roy Biggins

Roy Biggins Senior member

Where is a good place to buy supplies online in the US?

8. Rolo

Rolo Senior member

Where is a good place to buy supplies online in the US?

I'm not sure of places where you can order online, but this store may be worth a phone call.

http://www.frankfordleather.com/shoe-repair.html

9. jjl5000

jjl5000 Senior member

I'm afraid I can't help with a U.S. supplier as I'm based in the U.K.

Using the correct glue is critical and to an amateur like myself, understanding the veritable merits of each is a nightmare! The stuff seems to be manufactured in a vast number of variants with an equally vast number of uses.

Some glues will state they are suitable for leather bonding but they don't tell you if the bond will be strong enough to bond soles for example. I use a 'single part polyurethane cement' - fast drying (2-5 mins) and thinners are also essential to keep the pot of glue pliable once it's exposed to the atmosphere.

Hope this helps chaps. If anyone would like more information, feel free to ask.. I thought I might do a little write up with photos when I next embark on a repair if there is sufficient interest.

10. AlonzoMosely

AlonzoMosely Well-Known Member

I would love to see a more detailed write-up with pictures. Is the process the same for putting on a leather sole as for a rubber sole? (I might try converting one or two worn dress shoes to vibram soles for winter wear)

11. jjl5000

jjl5000 Senior member

I would love to see a more detailed write-up with pictures. Is the process the same for putting on a leather sole as for a rubber sole? (I might try converting one or two worn dress shoes to vibram soles for winter wear)

Attaching a rubber sole is a lot easier as the thin rubber will easily flex around the convex surface of the leather sole.