• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DIY Denim?

Wh0l3

Reaction score
Anyone make their own jeans?

I'm thinking of learning on cheap fabric and moving up to quality denim.

Anyone want to share advice or guides or anything else useful?

Thanks.

entrero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Artist Denim. Read his thread, it kinda shows the ups and downs for starter denim makers

poly800rock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Artist denim doesn't do his own sewing....hence all the problems he is currently having. Ande Whall and roy do everything start to finish.

GraphicNovelty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't do this for busness becuase the market is incredibly saturated (lol How to Make it in America)

if you're doing it for yourself though that's kind of pretty dope.

Wh0l3

Reaction score
Yea I'm doing this for fun, will maybe make jeans to sell but the intention isn't to make money. I'm going to take a class with the dudes up at Hartford Denim Company (http://hartforddenimcompany.com/). Turns out my sewing machine doesn't work. Prowling craigslist now for them singers. EDIT: It would be cool to make money, but you know...we'll see where this goes. probably just going to hook my friends up with some denim, make some for myself, and maybe a jean jacket.

Simontuntelder

Reaction score
I have made jeans in the past. It's hard, as it requires a lot of machinery, but you can do it using just a regular, good sewing machine.

Today I made a laundry bag using some Cone Mills selvage denim and some leather. You can read about the process here.

IMG_3584 by tuntelder, on Flickr

IMG_3575 by tuntelder, on Flickr

IMG_3572 by tuntelder, on Flickr

IMG_3580 by tuntelder, on Flickr

IMG_3576 by tuntelder, on Flickr

IMG_3587 by tuntelder, on Flickr

If you have any questions, let me know, and I'll do my best to help. There is a decent thread on Sufu called Hone-made jeans or something similar.

If any of you guys know where to find laurel leaf donut buttons please let me know. I have been searching high and low.

Last edited:

alexanduh

Reaction score
^dopest laundry bag to date

clark kent

Reaction score
really really awesome simon. you should definitely post more of your work.

benjamin831

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Holy crap, that's an awesome sack. You should start selling those.

poly800rock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
awesome bag, but won't that stain your clean clothes?

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I have made jeans in the past. It's hard, as it requires a lot of machinery, but you can do it using just a regular, good sewing machine.

Today I made a laundry bag using some Cone Mills selvage denim and some leather. You can read about the process here.

IMG_3584 by tuntelder, on Flickr
IMG_3575 by tuntelder, on Flickr
IMG_3572 by tuntelder, on Flickr
IMG_3580 by tuntelder, on Flickr
IMG_3576 by tuntelder, on Flickr
IMG_3587 by tuntelder, on Flickr

If you have any questions, let me know, and I'll do my best to help. There is a decent thread on Sufu called Hone-made jeans or something similar.

If any of you guys know where to find laurel leaf donut buttons please let me know. I have been searching high and low.
One of those SuFu threads on the topic had a webstore for buttons, I came across some while looking for snap fasteners as well and occasionally they'll pop up on ebay. That bag is nice and your stitching is super clean, props for that

Simontuntelder

Reaction score
For some reason I'm not receiving e-mails in this thread. Therefore I have just seen all of your comments just now.

KitAkira: If you come across the webstore or the buttons, then please let me know. I would be very interested. Accidentally I have more than enough snaps from some of the best makers in the world.

Poly: First of all, thank you. I have "field tested" the bag since making it, and there has been NO staining whatsoever. I think it is because the wet laundry is only in the bag for a couple of minutes when taking it from the machine to the line. And the inside of the bag doesn't rub off when dry.

Benjamin831: Thank you. I have been thinking about making some available for sale, as the reception has been surprisingly (I say that because I'm always very critical of everything I do) great. If you - or anyone else - are interested or have specific ideas, then please e-mail me at [email protected]. I have tons of different vintage fabrics available.

Clark Kent: You are too kind. I would love to show more of my work, but my crafts is just a part time thing - at best. I'm still in school and at the moment and for quite some time, school has been taking up WAY too much time. I can't wait to get back to the sewing machines, as I have great new materials and hardware coming in from all over the world.

Uninkco: Thanks. I really appreciate it.

Alexanduh: Gracias, but how many laundry bags are there? Maybe there is a blue ocean market for me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads