1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

DIY Denim?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Wh0l3, Feb 2, 2011.

1. Wh0l3

Wh0l3 Active Member

Anyone make their own jeans?

I'm thinking of learning on cheap fabric and moving up to quality denim.

Anyone want to share advice or guides or anything else useful?

Thanks.

2. bananananana

bananananana Senior member

Ask roy. He does it all by himself.

3. entrero

entrero Senior member

Artist Denim. Read his thread, it kinda shows the ups and downs for starter denim makers

4. poly800rock

poly800rock Senior member

Artist denim doesn't do his own sewing....hence all the problems he is currently having. Ande Whall and roy do everything start to finish.

5. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Senior member

Don't do this for busness becuase the market is incredibly saturated (lol How to Make it in America)

if you're doing it for yourself though that's kind of pretty dope.

6. Wh0l3

Wh0l3 Active Member

Yea I'm doing this for fun, will maybe make jeans to sell but the intention isn't to make money. I'm going to take a class with the dudes up at Hartford Denim Company (http://hartforddenimcompany.com/). Turns out my sewing machine doesn't work. Prowling craigslist now for them singers. EDIT: It would be cool to make money, but you know...we'll see where this goes. probably just going to hook my friends up with some denim, make some for myself, and maybe a jean jacket.

7. Simontuntelder

Simontuntelder Senior member

Aarhus/Copenhagen/Herning/Sindal - Denmark
    I have made jeans in the past. It's hard, as it requires a lot of machinery, but you can do it using just a regular, good sewing machine.

Today I made a laundry bag using some Cone Mills selvage denim and some leather. You can read about the process here.

[​IMG]
    IMG_3584 by tuntelder, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    IMG_3575 by tuntelder, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    IMG_3572 by tuntelder, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    IMG_3580 by tuntelder, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    IMG_3576 by tuntelder, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    IMG_3587 by tuntelder, on Flickr

If you have any questions, let me know, and I'll do my best to help. There is a decent thread on Sufu called Hone-made jeans or something similar.

If any of you guys know where to find laurel leaf donut buttons please let me know. I have been searching high and low.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2011
    2 people like this.
  8. alexanduh

alexanduh Senior member

^dopest laundry bag to date

9. uninkco

uninkco Senior member

10. clark kent

clark kent Senior member

really really awesome simon. you should definitely post more of your work.

11. benjamin831

benjamin831 Senior member

Holy crap, that's an awesome sack. You should start selling those.

12. poly800rock

poly800rock Senior member

awesome bag, but won't that stain your clean clothes?

13. KitAkira

KitAkira Senior member

One of those SuFu threads on the topic had a webstore for buttons, I came across some while looking for snap fasteners as well and occasionally they'll pop up on ebay. That bag is nice and your stitching is super clean, props for that

14. Simontuntelder

Simontuntelder Senior member

Aarhus/Copenhagen/Herning/Sindal - Denmark
    For some reason I'm not receiving e-mails in this thread. Therefore I have just seen all of your comments just now.

KitAkira: If you come across the webstore or the buttons, then please let me know. I would be very interested. Accidentally I have more than enough snaps from some of the best makers in the world.

Poly: First of all, thank you. I have "field tested" the bag since making it, and there has been NO staining whatsoever. I think it is because the wet laundry is only in the bag for a couple of minutes when taking it from the machine to the line. And the inside of the bag doesn't rub off when dry.

Benjamin831: Thank you. I have been thinking about making some available for sale, as the reception has been surprisingly (I say that because I'm always very critical of everything I do) great. If you - or anyone else - are interested or have specific ideas, then please e-mail me at info.afterthedenim@gmail.com. I have tons of different vintage fabrics available.

Clark Kent: You are too kind. I would love to show more of my work, but my crafts is just a part time thing - at best. I'm still in school and at the moment and for quite some time, school has been taking up WAY too much time. I can't wait to get back to the sewing machines, as I have great new materials and hardware coming in from all over the world.

Uninkco: Thanks. I really appreciate it.

Alexanduh: Gracias, but how many laundry bags are there? Maybe there is a blue ocean market for me.